Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics Sometimes you just have to call it done and move on…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    lorraine57

Well, I started this last spring, didn’t touch it again until last week. So I think I’m calling it done, it’s time to move on. I took liberties shape and amount of the water droplets. There were a zillion on the reference photo.

I’m sure the more seasoned artists here already know all this but for the other newbs like me, here are a few things I’ve learned with this one:
        1. Blending with acrylics requires literally a featherlight touch to avoid lifting.
        2. A #2 chisel blender worked really well for me for blending (small, tight areas).
        3. A doefoot stippling brush came in handy. I’ll definitely be picking up a few more of those.
        4. Know when to walk away for a few minutes or hit it with a blow dryer. Can’t tell you how many times tried to work an area that was still too wet and literally undid what I just fixed.
        5. It’s not easy to get fine lines on cheap (walmart), rough canvas. Like trying to draw a fine line through a pothole. Won’t be purchasing more of those. I know gesso would help but I’d just as soon buy better canvas.

Overall, I’m pleased with it. It looks much better uploaded than it does in real life. Minimizing a 16×20″ painting to the size it is online makes it look pretty darn good :lol: …I need to stop looking at the stem or I’ll be reworking it AGAIN. :rolleyes:
        C&C welcome.

Lorraine

gaykir

I like it very much. You’ve done an amazing job on those droplets. Overall I think it’s great. Yep, time to walk way, it’s done 👍😀

http://gaylekirbyart.blogspot.com/

Humburger

Wow! It’s beautiful. I understand where you are coming from, but I think it is okay if you say it is done and walk away. :-)

Ginny
                www.virginiacmccoy.com
                C & C Welcome

You’ve done a nice job with this.

"None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm." - Henry David Thoreau

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library

john

Great job. Looks perfect.

contumacious

For highly detailed work, canvas is my last choice for a surface. You might try painting on sanded acrylic gesso. It can be applied to ACM panels or tempered hardboard. Very easy to make and inexpensive as well. Lowe’s has the best tempered hardboard from all the big box stores. $8 for a 4 x 8 foot sheet of 1/8″. The thicker stuff is $12 I think? They will give you one or two cuts for free so you can fit it in your back seat. If you don’t have the tools to cut to size, maybe a friend or relative does. All that is needed is a metal straight edge, some clamps and a small circular saw. A table saw is ideal, but not necessary.

Very nice work, especially the water droplets.

A painting is never really done as long as I can get my hands on it.

sykirobme

This is a really good painting – I know I can’t do water that well – and you took some really good lessons away from it. Definitely chalk this one up to a success for those reasons!

I can think of seasoned artists who’d give their eye teeth to produce water droplets like these!:lol:
                            Good blending too, so well persevered …… you’ve achieved a really good standard.

Yes, smoother surfaces for florals helps a lot!

My one crit would be to find a good background and composition when you paint an object this well!:lol:

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

Looks done to me. Very good!

And yes, the paint needs to be very wet or very dry, when it gets to the tacky stage in between it can lift.

Probably any canvas you buy benefits from a layer or two of extra gesso. I add colour so I’m adding a layer and starting the background at the same time.

C&C always welcome. Michelle

mkmcreations.com
                            Every painting is a new adventure.

tmwilliams

You should be pleased! It’s well done.

lorraine57

Thanks to all who responded!

Contumacious, I may actually have some hard board lying around here, I’ll have to check.

Maureen, thanks for the advice, I’ll keep that in mind.

Michelle, I actually looked at gesso tonight but it was pricey at Walmart. I’ll check elsewhere. These cheap canvas from Walmart are REALLY rough/bumpy.
                                    I do have some better ones that seem much smoother. We’ll see what they’re like but I’ll get the gesso at least for the cheap ones I already have.

My Christmas easel came! SUPER excited!

Lorraine

sykirobme

I agree, the Daler-Rowney canvases at Walmart are rough without another layer of gesso. If you have a Michaels or A.C. Moore nearby they have decent canvas that are often discounted. I like the Michaels canvases…even their cheaper ones are pretty decent. Gesso might be expensive but it goes a long way. Well worth the investment.

Underpainting is very useful. Acrylics can be opaque, semi-opaque or transparent, it’ll tell you on the tube. Even opaque paints will show the influence of an imprimatura or grisaille layer, though. There will always be places where it shows through. (Oops this bit is responding to another thread, lol)

maryinasia

beautiful

lorraine57

Ken,
                                                I actually have some canvas from Michael’s that I’ve not tried yet. I’m anxious to try them as they seem quite a bit smoother than the Walmart ones. They always have coupons so if I like them they’re reasonable to pick up. I will pick up the gesso so that I can use the Walmart ones that I have.

Lorraine

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.