Home Forums Explore Subjects Aviation Art RAF Bruggen ’69

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    NeilF92

A memory from my youth . 92 Sqn detachment to RAF Bruggen for RAF Wildenrath air display . Can’t remember exactly what time of day but recall seeing the Reds suddenly blasting along our line very low and fast.
        This is a line image from a Blender 3D model set up to figure out a workable composition . Chas suggested elsewhere I lower the horizon which I have done in this version .
        Lightning F2A’s and Red Arrows Gnats .

Trumper

That would have been quite a sight to behold.Just wondering what it would look like with the lead aircraft slightly banked towards the viewer.

NeilF92

Thanks Trumper – I’ll have to pass ref the banking. As I recall it ,it was one very fast straight and level pass that took some of us by surprise .

Trumper

That’s fine :) it’s a historically correct moment in time captured ,i look forward to seeing it :)

NeilF92

Some progress on this WIP – still in digital mode using Photoshop elements working towards a suitable comp for an Acrylic on canvas painting to follow . I cheated on the sky and just copied one of my sky shots in and messed it about but the rest is digital brush work from scratch . Very rough at the moment and I’m considering what human element to add to the fun .

NeilF92

Current status of Digital WIP –see post above for more info .

Trumper

:) Very nice.I have no idea how to do what you do on a computer so out of interest how long did that take compared to actually paintbrush to canvas.

NeilF92

It took three days or so just doing an hour or two here there . Did it in digital just to refresh my limited digital ability . I have to use a mouse on my PC so it’s quite slow going selecting different brush types , size shapes , angles ,strengths as you go along . i suspect it would be a bit easier with a fancy stylus on a tablet screen . I’ll be glad when I move on to the Acrylic painting proper . :)

NeilF92

Have added some figures to the composition . Not settled yet on exact layout but quite like this one . I posted this in Structured Critiques for feedback on composition but so far only one helpful reply , in fact only one reply . Disappointing .

vegaskip

I’d have the nearest ‘Arrow’ peeling off towards the viewer. Would break up all the horizontals.
                                            Jim

NeilF92

Thanks Jim, much appreciated – I’m kind of stuck with what I recollect I saw and reluctant to use artistic licence , I think I’ll have to live with the aircraft as they are even if it’s not the best.

vegaskip

I thought you could try all these things in your ‘didgeridoo program thing’ your using.
                                                    Jim

NeilF92

I can Jim – unfortunately it doesn’t tell me if they are right or wrong in the eyes of the art world . I’ve reconciled myself to living with the aircraft as they are because I want to stay as close to what I saw that day as possible . That said , the foreground was a bit bare so I decided to add some figures . My doubt was concerning – “overlapping” which seems to be frowned on in the art world and I’ve been moving them around to find the best option and this is where I’m at just now. Preferable to my first effort which stuck the Firestreak in the main figure’s ear .

vegaskip

I think figures overlapping in places is ok, it stops then looking like skittles. I usually try to have them doing something, holding, pushing, pulling, talking and pointing. Little ‘group’ sketches help, don’t have to be much more than stick figures .
                                                            If you are trying to recapture something you remember, I’m afraid you will have to be on your own. Remember memories can play tricks.
                                                            Jim

NeilF92

Thanks Jim – fact is this is a very tenuous 50 year old memory . I know I was there and saw a Red zip below fin height along our line . But ask me how/ when we travelled fromRAF Gutersloh to RAF Bruggen , how long we stayed , where we slept or who was on that detachment – not a clue!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.