Home Forums Explore Media Printmaking Drypoint etching – ink transfer problem

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    aagain40

Hi

I’m new to the forum, joined because I’ve recently started printing. I’m experiencing problems with a drypoint print I’m trying to run off & hoped someone might be able to tell me where I’m going wrong.

I etched a small plexiglass plate and successfully got about 3 prints from it whilst at night school. The printmaking course has sadly now finished so thought I’d run some prints at home. I have a book press, bit like a butterfly press, and using oil based inks on dampened cartridge paper I really thought I’d get something. But no, the ink just isn’t transferring onto the paper :( the ink is clearly on the plate, just not transferring at all.

Can anyone help?

aagain40

I should add the ink I’ve used is Gerstaecker Relief Ink suitable for all relief printing inc. linocut, woodcut, wood engraving, letterpress, also suitable for printing with photopolymer plates.

Thanx

PAL PRESS

It must be a pressure issue, maybe an old mangle would work better, with felt.

aagain40

Thanks pal press, I’ll look again at it. Unfortunately mangles are quite expensive in the UK, even really old rusty ones so I’m keen to make my current set up work.

inugie

It is most likely due to a pressure issue – try printing a small area with a metal spoon and as much pressure as you can muster – I have successfully printed small drypoints like this but be warned, its very hard work and quite tricky to keep the paper from moving. If you do a small area and it works, you know its a pressure problem. If it still doesn’t work there may be other issues – let us know.

olive5018

Better late than never? If you haven’t resolved the ink problem,you may want to try thickening your ink with magnesium carbonate. Relief ink is thinner than etching ink, so there wouldn’t be much sticking to the burr of your incised line.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.