Home Forums Explore Media Sculpture Symmetry Problems

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Okay, so, how do people get their sculptures so symmetrical? I have sooooo much trouble with this, and it’s kinda a problem. I want to get into doing casts of things, especially for cosplay purposes (some elfish/ cat-like ears are on the list and I have tiny, weird ears so purchased prosthetics are not an option). But sculpture is the first step of that. I have tried clay, carving foam, etc. But I’m more looking for general tips on how to make sculptures more symmetrical.
    It seems if I get it to look right to the side, it looks off straight on or vice versa. Add in a third dimension and it’s even worse. I’d post pictures of what I’m talking about, but I’m currently in the middle of moving so everything is packed right now.

ArtsyLynda

To get work symmetrical, get a caliper with straight legs and measure each part of each one, trimming or adding clay until they match. Hold them upside down and study them, compare them to each other and adjust as needed. Hold them in front of a mirror and compare them. In each case, look at them side by side, from every angle including upside down and from the back. It takes patience and time, but you’ll get there. Good luck, and please share your work with us!

When I sculpt ears, a trick involves using mirrors like Lynda mentioned. First sculpt one ear then hold up a mirror to the ear you’ve sculpted and you will see the reverse image of it. You can sculpt exactly what you see and not have to try to reverse the ear in your mind.

Use calipers, like Lynda said, to measure the ear and make sure you have the same measurement.

Take pictures of each session. Even during the session, take a pic and look at it and it can tell you what you need to change. Something about looking at your sculpture in a different way, through a camera’s lens, really helps.

Close one eye and look at your sculpture and that will give you a different view as well.

[FONT=Arial Narrow]~Sculpturedolls
        [FONT=Arial Narrow][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, fill your life with love,scatter sunshine, forget self, think of others. -Norman Vincent Peale

[FONT=Georgia]My website My Blog Join me on Facebook

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.