Home Forums Explore Subjects Portraiture Portraiture Forum Library Archives November 2011-January 2012 Portrait Challenge !

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    kevinwueste

Thank you to LaurenFM for a huge assist in our images for this month! Please note that the Astronaut, Jeannie, Baby and Anthony Hopkins – we do not have reproductions rights for those (but you are free to draw or paint them for study). The rest are free reign!

Have at:

Above – unknown academy award winner ( kidding!)!

Ed White – who died in the fire on the launch-pad of Apollo 1. I think this would be fun to attempt in graphite or charcoal! ( glass helmet – yes!)

Lovely wee baby, available for study purposes only..

The fab Jeannie Shrimpton ( not a ton of form but great shapes to practice!!)

My good friend Li-Lu in afternoon sunlight in the hallway of my house..

Lauren’s Da’ Bill !

ABove is Lewis

Above is Dana

Above is Carr

i draw, paint and teach | my voice is hoarse | my shoulder hurts.
        Talent is really a capacity for a certain type of learning of knowledge and a consuming interest in the facts that contribute to that knowledge~ Andrew Loomis
        http://www.kevinwuesteart.blogspot.com
        "kevinwueste" on instagram

Everyone

Thanks so much, Kevin! :clap:
            OoooH — I want to draw your friend, Li-Lu!!! :D
            Also love that limited monochromatic palette. :thumbsup:

Cheers, Lauren
            https://www.facebook.com/LaurenFosterMacLeod/
            Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lauren.fosterm/

Ruthie57

Great images Kevin! I do hope I’ll have time to do at least one this month.

NancyMP

:clap:Kevin, if I get the chance, I would love to paint that dramatic, theatrical vision of Carr! I’m glad we have two months on this!:D

Thanks for all the wonderful references; they’re great images to inspire!:)

Nancy http://nancyparkfineart.com
                    All human beings are dream beings. Dreaming ties all mankind together. - Jack Kerouac

roy-p

Kevin, Lauren, Portraiture forum… thank you so much for hosting another fantastic challenge :clap:

Well, I was sitting on these, hoping to discretely post after somebody else, as I’m far from satisfied… I guess I was too relaxed (read: lazy!) in my approach and made too many mistakes. Anyway… here’s mine, all on 10″ x 11″ paper. Mostly conte, and some pastel pencil (watersoluble pencil for BG)

Thanks for looking! :)

P r o s e n [/I]j i t . R o y[/B][/COLOR]

Flickr[FONT=Verdana] | Website | Blog[/COLOR]

Everyone

Well done, Prosenjit! :clap: :clap: :clap:
                            Thanks so much for starting things off so well — this bodes very well for the challenge! :thumbsup:

Miss Shrimpton is lovely — very 1960s, I think.
                            You really captured Mr. Hopkins superbly; even got that scary stare down!:clap:
                            And the one of Ms. Lu is lovely and a wonderful likeness.:D

Cheers, Lauren

kevinwueste

Awesome works Prosenjit! You are anything but a slacker- getting right to it! I can only echo Lauren’s remarks, I will show ms Lu your drawing/painting, I think she will be bowled over!

That glassy feel to Sir Anthony, you got that working quite well! Jeannie , you did well, as there is not so much to go on.

Kevin

i draw, paint and teach | my voice is hoarse | my shoulder hurts.
                                Talent is really a capacity for a certain type of learning of knowledge and a consuming interest in the facts that contribute to that knowledge~ Andrew Loomis
                                http://www.kevinwuesteart.blogspot.com
                                "kevinwueste" on instagram

roy-p

Lauren, Kevin… what can I say, I KNOW how kind you are, and I acknowledge your words with humility. It’d be an honor to have Ms Lu see my sketch. Thank you!

Having said that, these remind me of where I went wrong, and what’s not to be done… I’ve come to realize that one makes or breaks a portrait in the first 3-5 minutes of drawing. That’s when the basic shapes and proportions are laid down, and one needs be most careful and attentive at that stage – nothing you do (save a radical makeover) will rectify the mistakes that creep in at that very initial stage. I guess relaxed was a wrong choice of word, I was casual, and somewhat less attentive at the beginning.. hence the results. Oh well… (( shrugs ))

P r o s e n [/I]j i t . R o y[/B][/COLOR]

Flickr[FONT=Verdana] | Website | Blog[/COLOR]

Sizun

Prosenjit, your drawings set the level very high. I especially admire how you rendered the forms on Li-Lu’s face. Beautiful work !

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Critics and comments ALWAYS WELCOME
                                        My blog

fivespices

Kevin;

All of these photo provide much a challenge to me specially Sir Hopkin.

Sir Prosenjit;
                                            I can only hope to have your proficiency and accuracy and beautiful drawings of this month’s challenge. You set a milestone for me to follow.

Thanks.

I am hesitate to post this one as I am not happy with the paint application. I set out to study the grow on Sir Hopkin’s face and I did not get it and there are places need improvements. I am going to do another study of him later or until I get the light on his face. I may not be able to finish him by the end of the months.

C & C always welcome.

kim

Fleffyjen

fantastic images here, well done, Kevin!!!

“He who does not understand your silence will probably not understand your words.” Elbert Hubbard

Jeni Westcott
                                                https://www.facebook.com/JeniWestcott

lovin art

Owwhh Arh , Love them K, I will have something to draw iN Hos Thanks gUYS ~; )

~Sen, I love them all but I really love that first one … its very voluminousness (if thats a word ! lol and her eyes are just so dramatic … they are speaking to me !

Fivespices , you have him there in this … well done

fivespices

Hiya Sandra;

What do you mean by “just have something to draw in HOS”? I am sending my prayer across the pond to you and hope you feel better soon. I like to read your cheerful messages and I think your schooling do lots of good in your painting and drawing.

Get well soon,

Kim

Everyone

Kim — you did a great job on Anthony Hopkins! :clap:

Cheers, Lauren

sbeckett

Hi all

My couch potato (i.e. digital) rendition of the green lady -for file name purposes the “Pre-Raphaelite chick”. Tweaked the flowers a bit to get it vertical. Done with GIMP (yay, open source) and a $35 tablet.

As with any graphics program there are endless tools you can learn -or try to learn, but not being Copernicus I just used paint and smudge. Pick a color and lay down rough hatching strokes or even dots, and then smush it around, which is the fun part. And repeat. And watch TV.

Been influenced lately by a book on JC Leyendecker and the vitality he got with bold hash strokes of color. Like his acolyte(?) Norman Rockwell, hard to separate from the schmaltz but a fabulously gifted painter.

Steve

http://beckettoils.blogspot.com/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 80 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.