WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Florals and Botanical
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2010, 01:27 AM
Veteran Member
Grand Bay, Alabama

Hails from United States
Talking Re: Plant Parade: May 2010

Thanks for the information, Maureen. I'm not sure I would like those (interactives) or not...I've finally become accustomed to the quick-drying of regular acrylics - and I've never worked with oils so I don't know what it's like to "re-awaken" the paint! I think I'll stick to what I know right now - maybe take some workshops or purchase a demonstration video...I'm still in the learning stages about acrylics.

I worked on my poppies this weekend. I finished a quick study and the BIG canvas Sharron challenged us with! (Fun project this month, Sharron!) I stepped outside my comfort zone and did some experimentation. I'm looking forward to the reveal and seeing everyone's contribution...I'm always amazed by the different interpretations of the same inspiration!

Happy painting!

Jackie

"Art is the only way to run away without leaving home." Unknown
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2010, 07:35 AM
Qatar (Scottish by birth)

Hails from Qatar
Re: Plant Parade: May 2010

As a neebie to WC I shall try this as my first submission as I love poppies.. Great photos..!! Thank-you!
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2010, 08:37 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from Scotland

Welcome to Floral/botanical Sally!!! I love it here!!
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2010, 08:56 AM
Qatar (Scottish by birth)

Hails from Qatar

Thanks Hon... still trying to work all this out..!!
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2010, 10:13 AM
Resting in Peace
60mi North of NYC

Hails from United States

Hi Everyone,

Meryl sorry your peace is a bit fractured, I've had that happen with my daughter and two little ones, but I promise peace does return.

Agnesdale and I thought I was a "detail" freak..LOL

Sharm, sorry haven't been terribly focused of late..lol the weird Mortuum is from Old Holland, bascially it's a Mars Violet but every manufacturer, seems to me. offers basically the same colors but they are all different..LOL I like that one..haha just me.

Hi Jackie, I also have several tubes of the Interactives and actually, I find anyway, if you don't wet your surface, or use the extenders or an over abundance of water it's not much different then the other acrylics, but what's nice is they give you the option should you want it. My thinking anyway.

I've actually made some progress, I don't know if I'll finish all of it in time but will have the essence of the challenge done I think..the poppies
themselves..haha trying my darnest tho. I'm using a wood plaque, haven't painted on wood in years not since my "craft" days..haha the intention is to "finish" it..haha and hang it outside on my porch next to my front door as a kind of welcome sign, or something like that but I have to say at least I'm really liking how it's looking so far, that's a switch...LOL LOL

Just checking in to see how you're all doing...
Will see you later,
Hugs all round,
Elaine

Art is a collaboration between God and the artist, and the less the artist does the better. André Gide Forum Projects: Plant Parade projects in
Florals/Botanicals,
Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2010, 10:14 AM
Immortalized
dixon Ill

Hails from United States

I'll play, gladly.

Chuck

#52   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2010, 02:08 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
120kms south of Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia

Maureen, hahahahah with a 5month old pup and a 3 year old grand daughter, Im not so sure about that... my home is always trashed !!!!!
Noodles..thank you for that assurance that peace will once again reign...will that be before I graduate to a 'walker' or after
I started on my second piece this evening, so far still on easel not trash can.
Heres hoping.

Gemini and Sally, Hiiiiii....Im a self teaching acrylic newbie to....I love the challenge of learning this...I think the day (if it ever comes) when I can sit down and knock out a painting in 30 mins, I shall lose interest. It was my birthday last friday and I spent some of it in the Brisbane Art Gallery. It was amazing, now I know what Im looking at.
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2010, 06:44 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Happy birthday belatedly Meryl! No reason why you can't keep celebrating it

Sally - welcome to our world - it's nice and peaceful here - no frenzy until 24th and we realise we're a touch late in finishing

Chuck - glad you're joining us - nice to have a fella in the group

Started mine today - big canvas=big brush so covered a lot quite quickly - and I'm not about to get bogged down with this!

Jackie (and Elaine) so far I'm using the Interactives - but (again so far) I'm not liking them any better! At first they seemed to be very sticky but at some point they did start blending nicely so the colours interacted - I like that (but I can also do that with regulars too
Did a base coat of raw sienna first - Liquitex or W&N, forget which! The only Interactive light yellow I have is Arylamide light - very harsh for me so having to add white.

Elaine - what's the pigment number for the Mortuum? - because names mean little, the pigment number is a better guide I think.

Well, couldn't get on the site earlier today and it's almost 11pm so time to hit the sack I think!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2010, 11:09 PM

Hails from Australia

Thanks Maureen. I like getting older, it means I can get away with (please excuse aussie idiom.).....Bloody Murder
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2010, 06:20 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from Scotland

Welcome Chaz, to the land of Roses and Thorns,and everything else!!! ))
Nice to see theres an Adam in our lil paradise!!! (hope no one dis agrees!!)LOL!
EEK,its 18 now and IAM READY!!!
One might go to the garbage..(after I will post it )but still I will post it,since I painted it for hourssssssssssssss!!!

Last edited by agnesdale : 05-18-2010 at 06:22 AM.
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2010, 06:37 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Ag - the 25th for this posting ....... 25th!!!!! .......... you're so eager!!!! (it's nice though )

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2010, 07:30 PM
Beautiful B.C.

Hails from Canada

Hi all, I missed you!! Couldn't get on site. What's going on, anyone know??

Welcome to Sally, and our very daring Male Chaz!!! glad to see you here. I know you're going to enjoy yourselves. We're pretty easy going bunch, who love to paint flowers We have an Adam as Agnes says!!!
Hi and a big Happy Birthday to Meggs-Meryl.......
Elaine.........you're focused just fine.....so happy you are joining in here.
Jackie............did I read that you are working on a large canvas too?? Woo Hoo! Way to go. You'll like it, I think it goes faster than the smaller ones, and I seem to be much more relaxed. Just have to remember to keep stepping away, to give your eyes proper focus. Looks different 5 feet away.
Maureen........, so happy you are working large too. I know I've bugged you about it for a while..... Can't wait to see I know it's going to be a stand out too.
Agnes........please don't throw your work in the "Bin", We are our own worst critics. Sometimes those are the paintings everyone loves.

I'm a self taught Acrylic artist also. Everything I know I learned here at WetCanvas.
Like most mediums, it's all trial and error. The more you work with them, the more you discover. They are so very versatile.

The Acrylic forum now has some wonderful information available thanks a lot to Maureen's-Charlies Mum- hard work there these past years. Thank you Mo.

I haven't tried the Interactive's as yet. I have done some extensive reading on them, and the "Acrylic Opens", now available, and the differences between them........
Though having started with Acrylics as a medium, I like the fact that they dry quickly, and I don't have to wait. Perhaps if I had started with Oils I might have a different opinion. The Interactives are the ones I want to try first though.

We've got one week left, and I'm at a bit of a stand still. Many things on my mind. Big wedding coming up this weekend, my niece.
got some traveling to do for the weekend, getting ready to leave. It's at a lake side resort, we all have Cottages so have to take some food etc.
Will be checking in here though, and home Monday.

So everyone get those brushes out (Me Too) and paint, paint, paint!!
I'm getting excited, now that the end is near! Going to do a Gallery, of all the finished works. Love seeing them all together.
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2010, 01:13 AM
A WC! Legend
Texas

Hails from United States

Hi, painters of Poppies!! Wheeeee!! Just checking in to say that I have one finished and another on a 1/2 sheet of wc paper underway!! So, Sharron, I now can say that I have painted a poppy or two!! Keep painting out there because these should be a beautiful field of poppies on the 25th!!

Katherine
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2010, 02:56 AM
The bottom of the South Island in Southland, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Wow you guys are hot!!!!
Noodle love the "dandylion"!
I'm half finished a watercolour poppy, so I'm expecting it to go blah! any minute now - but I live in hope.

Moderator; Animals & Wildlife Forum Floral & Botanical Forum Watermedia Forum
My Blog; Art By Vivien
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2010, 05:22 AM

Hails from Australia

Hiiiii Everyone...ty for the birthday wishes..it was a great one this year...wow next year the big 60..cant believe it.!!!!!!!!!!
Viv your as bad as me, always looking at the worse possible outcome with our art. I just looked at my second one and it looks TOOOOOOOO PERFECT, no soul, needs roughing up and making real. I have been circling it all afternoon......wanting to muss it up but afraid I will screw it up.

Ohhhhhhhhh decisions decisions