WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2019, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member

Gouache/casein illustration

This is done with my new Adore 48 set gouache (which is a set loaded with delicious convenience grey/neutrals) and white casein paint. I really enjoyed the process! It was challenging, since older people are a subject that I almost never paint (I can remember exactly one past painting featuring an old man ), and especially since this is an illustration, I had to use my imagination liberally. I had a really hard time imagining wrinkled hands in that gesture. But I do like what I ended up with.

I got a huge tube of white casein mostly because single tube gouache is too expensive, but I am absolutely loving the casein. I mostly used the white over a grisaille underpainting layer on the flag and hair, and that full-bodied look is wonderful! Also, casein smells soooo nice, what a wonderful change from the absolutely stinky watercolor/gouache paints I have to deal with. I might have to convert to casein now.

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-15-2019, 09:44 PM
A Local Legend
Salt Lake City

Re: Gouache/casein illustration

Gouache seems a good media for portraits and I like your handling here. Lots of emotion (not so nice emotion) in the face. Gary
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2019, 10:32 PM

It’s great, you can feel the emotion in the eyes.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2019, 01:23 AM
Baltimore,MD

Hails from United States

I think you have done a really fine job with this portrait otherwolder

I appreciate what you did painting the hair, very nice. You seem to have a good sense for handling gouache. I am just now returning to working with gouache and this is good encouragement for me, thank you for posting.
I would like to ad a note on gouache that may help you. I don't know if Lucas paints are available in your location but Lucas gouache is priced well in the U.S. through Jerry's Artaramma . Lucas is a German paint manufacturer and I enjoy their products for the most part. The gouache is not of the quality of W&N , Holbien etc. but is of imo, significantly better quality than any other student/budget line of gouache.

At any rate keep up the good work!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2019, 10:25 AM
Baltimore,MD

Hails from United States

The correct company name of the above mentioned gouache paints is Lukas. I would also mention to anyone unfamiliar with Lukas gouache that it is a designer gouache and as such not all colors are single pigment but there is enough to fill out a palette.