WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Animal and Wildlife Subjects
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2019, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Pa.

Hails from United States
Re: What are you working on last quarter 2019

Thank you so much Chammi.

Penny, I am a self taught artist and over the years .... I had a lot to learn... I never liked working on pastel paper, I just didn't liked how the texture of the paper dominated the picture...so I tried Bristol board which is definitely smoother but you couldn't layer hardly at all. To make a long story short I was doing a portrait and I just could't put one more layer on it. I was so close to getting it done, I was desperate. There are so many awesome artist on wet canvas so I decided to ask for help, at that time I was on the trend for pastel artists those who belong to that trend as for this one... WELL all the artist for this site are so willing to help. Chris (allydoodle) took a copy of the portrait and corrected all my mistakes and told me how to fit it also told me about working with Uart sandpaper and Wallis paper, the wallis paper you can't get anymore for now. but anyway I love working on sanded paper soooo forgiving! I love wet canvas it was the best decision I ever made....
“Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time”. ~Thomas Merton
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2019, 07:55 PM
WC! Guide
Germany

Hails from Germany

Lovely work Donna!
I was participating in Inktober, 1 ink drawing per day... was quite challenging to keep up
Quote:
"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2019, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member
Pa.

Hails from United States

Thank you Federico
“Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time”. ~Thomas Merton
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2019, 04:10 AM
A Local Legend
Wiltshire, England

Hails from England

I thought I'd have a go at a self portrait, but Skin tone is a real challenge. I don't know how to get a smooth, shiny texture. The paper is rather soft - a watercolour paper, I think - and perhaps a harder surface would have helped.

The hair needs some work.

Last edited by Schuee : 11-03-2019 at 04:13 AM.
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2019, 04:12 AM
A Local Legend
Wiltshire, England

Hails from England

Thanks, Donna, for that information. I'm glad you got help. Do you think I ought to,post this in the portrait thread and see what they say?
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2019, 11:33 AM
Enthusiast
Johnstown, Pennsylvania, USA

Hails from United States

Penny - This is coming along nicely. Maybe some more darks in the shadows and hair. Posting in the portrait area would be helpful.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2019, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member
Pa.

Hails from United States

Penny, I think you are doing a excellent job already. I agree with Joy I think posting in portrait trend would be helpful. Is the medium your using pastel? The Soft Pastel Studio and Gallery trend help me when I was having a problem with my portrait, if that is your medium I think both would be very helpful. I love what you have done already!
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2019, 01:29 PM
A Local Legend
Wiltshire, England

Hails from England

Thanks, Joy. I agree, it needs more shadows and work on the hair.

Donna, its in coloured pencils. Thanks for taking an interest. It would have been good in pastels, but I am not proficient at using them - I need a lot of practise.

Thanks to both of you for the encouragement.
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-06-2019, 11:06 AM
WC! Guide
Germany

Hails from Germany

Looks good so far Penny.. Portraits are challenging due to our inherent facial recognition capability, yet a self portrait requires a lot of effort and self recognition...
Besides these, color pencils are far too difficult for soft rendering and watercolor paper is not the appropriate texture for it either. In other words the medium and surface you selected are not going to help you much but give you additional effort.
You can go further but you need to increment the amount of contrast. For example darker shadows in the hair, makes the white hairs look whiter. So basically darken shadows and enhancing highlights overall. The image as is, is loosing the viewer's interests due to the use of only middle tones.

Nonetheless, there are paths you could pursue :
-Make a less realistic image and just loose yourself by adding shadows and exaggerating light and contrast. More illustrative styling
-Use acrylics and glaze technique to go over your drawing.
-Use transparent pastel base (Golden has a great product) and rebuild it with pastels over. They will blend beautifully and background drawing gives a lot of depth.
Good luck
Quote:
"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-06-2019, 03:14 PM
A Local Legend
Wiltshire, England

Hails from England

Thanks very much, Federico. I had thought of starting again. I haven’t heard if the glaze to enable me to use pastels and will look into that. I’ll post again if I decide to go on with it, or start again with pastels.
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-06-2019, 04:05 PM
WC! Guide
Germany

Hails from Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuee
Thanks very much, Federico. I had thought of starting again. I haven’t heard if the glaze to enable me to use pastels and will look into that. I’ll post again if I decide to go on with it, or start again with pastels.
If you plan to do so I suggest to:
1. select properly the support: as for example pastelmat in a tone that will agree either with the skin or with the background....
2. Use the appropriate size for it to be easier , So not huge and not small. Is easier bigger, but you need more work, materials and time. Smaller is difficult to get the details.
3. Base yourself in your reference, the easiest is to make a print in the same size of your drawing for you to concentrate only in shapes, sizes and positions of the objects rather than in scale.
4. And concentrate in painting what you see, nothing else, the color you see, the size and shape you see... most times we diverge by our own brain's concept of the things. An example of this would be you tend to paint water blue, when there is normally nothing blue in water...
5. And also if you do pastels, what you draw is basically the last layer, so aim it to be your definite look.... with pastels you don't build or construct adding layers as with acrylics or other media, you aim directly for the goal, for the end result... ...
PS:do not use fixative... will ruin it
Quote:

Last edited by fedetony : 11-06-2019 at 04:10 PM.
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2019, 11:28 AM
A Local Legend
Wiltshire, England

Hails from England

Ok, Federico. Thanks. I have Pastelmat paper but not sure I have it in skin tones. I have white, sienna and grey. Will look into getting some more skin-like tones, but probably not for a while as it’s expensive. Thanks for the advice on technique.
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2019, 06:14 PM
WC! Guide
Germany

Hails from Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuee
Ok, Federico. Thanks. I have Pastelmat paper but not sure I have it in skin tones. I have white, sienna and grey. Will look into getting some more skin-like tones, but probably not for a while as it’s expensive. Thanks for the advice on technique.
Any of them will do fine. The color of the paper thing is just an aid..
Quote:
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2019, 06:47 PM
A Local Legend
Wiltshire, England

Hails from England

Ok. Will give it a go, though I am not proficient with pastels. It will be a challenge.
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-24-2019, 05:12 PM
A Local Legend
Wiltshire, England

Hails from England

Indy in pastels