Home Forums Explore Subjects Abstract and Contemporary Art text as image – artists book, work in progress

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    vhere

I’m starting a series exploring text and music as a basis for abstract work. The words in these are not a narrative (simply the letters of my name – Vivien). They will blur and blend and move on. First ideas …

This first one is charcoal and white chalk on a mix of black and white paper, cut and collaged and worked into a little more. 20 inches wide approx x 10in tall approx

I decided to do these explorations as an artists book, 29cm square (almost 12 inches), a concertina that will open out wide.

Not sure where it’s going :) just experimenting as I go.

Then I photographed it and added colour in Procreate. I’ll do more of that, changing, combining and manipulating images as I go. So far having fun and letting it evolve, no fixed ideas other than working to a scale that will fit the book, which I’m adding pages to as I go.

vhere

I’ll photograph the ‘book’ tomorrow

Starting off very interesting, Vivien! Can’t wait to see what all you do to it.

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

Trier

I agree with Kay – very, Very interesting!

Regards,
                Trier

maryinasia

Very cool! Love the layers

laf.art

Interesting idea and process. As you say fun. Looking forward to the progression, bet you are too🙂

laf-art.com | Prints | FB[/U
                        Instagram laf.abstracts

tidal

Very exciting allways good to follows ones gut instinct and go with it even if at the time it may not make full sense:)

Sculpture is what you bump into when you back up to see a painting..Barnett Newman

vhere

thank you all :)

so I started putting it together as a book 29cm square, just under 12 inches

On the face of it I’ll weave images in and out of each other and on the reverse make notes of what I did and stick less successful bits as examples of techniques used – and thoughts about where it’s going

book beginning – long way to go

reverse side

digital experiment playing with one of the pieces done with printing ink, phoographed and colour added in procreate

ditto

and one of the prints worked into with a gold posca pen and some coloured pencil and a touch of ballpoint pen

trufflecat

very interesting!

Art is never finished, only abandoned.-- Leonardo da Vinci :thumbsup:

http://www.susanbaileyart.com
                                    vhere

i was manning a pastel exhibition today with a group I belong to – some were doing demos. I decided to work on the ipad in ‘pastel’ to do another in the series, to add to the book

it’s based on the word fog – I wanted to get the feel of a foggy dark light, car lights shining on the wet road and windows lit, the text half seen. As it developed the light negative spaces sort of spell ice – so Fog and Ice :)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.