Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Genuine Naples Yellow Light, PY41

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    neilpriceart

Has anyone had any experience with Genuine Naples Yellow Light, PY41?

I know Sherrie Mcgraw is a huge fan.

I hear its very good, I like to paint portraits, is this something people use?

Brian Firth

I have Michael Harding’s Genuine Naples Yellow Light PY41 and the dry pigment from Natural pigment. I would describe them both as very similar to a cadmium yellow light with about 30% lead white added to lighten the intensity of the yellow. It covers well but has a weak tinting strength and overall handles much like a lead white does. If a more subdued yellow with low tinting strength sounds like it would be useful in your portraits then it could be right up your alley. It is quite expensive though, which is the only real draw back.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."
            -- Carl Sagan

Brian Firth

Don Ketchek

Never used it and I paint both portraits and figures. There are so many different paints that can be used to paint skin tones that no one color is needed or “special”. Skin tones are primarily a dull orange, so many combinations of reds and yellows mixed with white, or any number of earth tones will do the job.

Don

Mythrill

I have Michael Harding’s Genuine Naples Yellow Light PY41 and the dry pigment from Natural pigment. I would describe them both as very similar to a cadmium yellow light with about 30% lead white added to lighten the intensity of the yellow. It covers well but has a weak tinting strength and overall handles much like a lead white does. If a more subdued yellow with low tinting strength sounds like it would be useful in your portraits then it could be right up your alley. It is quite expensive though, which is the only real draw back.

Brian, why don’t you use Nickel Titanium Yellow (PY 53) and Chrome Titanate (PBr 24)? They lack the glow of lead, but otherwise are very hard to tell apart from the real deal – and they’re also cheaper and non-toxic. For instance, consider this painting sample from Ambrosius the Elder, from 1621, which almost certainly has Naples Yellow Light (PY 41):

Now see Gamblin’s Nickel Titanate Yellow (PY 53). Aside from being flat (since we’re seeing the pure, flat color), and the original painting having darkened (probably due to some reaction to atmosphere pollutants) it almost looks like we’re seeing the same color!

Anonymous

I was at Michaels yesterday and somebody found some old stock Winsor Newton Naples Yellow, the real lead stuff in an old tube that was the style back in the early 1980’s! it was one single tube in front of the newer stuff made in France. Somebody on the staff must have just decided to stick it in there and sell it. I see that the new stuff is unleaded hues now. I would have bought it but I don’t use lead myself, want me to see if I can get it for you Brian?

koumk

I have both Harding’s Genuine Napples Yelloy (Deep & Light).

Are they expensive? Yes!
                            Are they toxic? Yes!

But my personal opinion is that they are really beutifull colors and irreplaceable. PY53 is not PY41 is PY53, PY35 is not PY41 is PY35……but PY41 is PY41

If i may suggest, buy a tube use it and if it makes you happy continue use it, and believe me if you dont use it by yourself no matter what each one says you will never know if its ok or not for you.

Kostas

KeeverMacLeod

I was at Michaels yesterday and somebody found some old stock Winsor Newton Naples Yellow, the real lead stuff in an old tube that was the style back in the early 1980’s! it was one single tube in front of the newer stuff made in France. Somebody on the staff must have just decided to stick it in there and sell it. I see that the new stuff is unleaded hues now. I would have bought it but I don’t use lead myself, want me to see if I can get it for you Brian?

Are you sure that wasn’t just PBr24 mixed with PW1 and PW4?

Mythrill

But my personal opinion is that they are really beutifull colors and irreplaceable. PY53 is not PY41 is PY53, PY35 is not PY41 is PY35……but PY41 is PY41

Chrome Titanate (PBr 24) and Titanate Yellow (PY 53) are not Naples Yellow (PY 41), but they’re really close – so close that Michael Harding, which sells the genuine stuff, also sells Chrome Titanate as a hue. See for yourself: http://www.michaelharding.co.uk/colours.php

Edit: I think it’s also a good idea to include the dickblick swatches. Here is Michael Harding’s Genuine Naples Yellow Dark (PY 41):

Here is their Naples Yellow (PBr 24, Chrome Titanate):

Anonymous

I think I will stop in today and buy the tube if it is still there, and will post it for ya :D .

koumk

Mythrill You are 100% right, They are really very very close But they are not identical and they have not the same properties.

All i want to say is that if yoy want to try a color just try it. make your own experiments and if you like the results fine… otherwise use the color until the tube is empty and dont buy it again. It only costs some extra money and time.

Harding sells napples yellow (PBr24 Chrome Antimony Tintate) for the artists who

1. they dont want to pay a lot of money (60$ the genuine napples yellow 14.98$ the napples yellow)
                                            2. they dont like toxic colors.

Kostas

Anonymous

Yes, that is what it is. The front of the tube was all I could see the other day because they have them locked in a plexi case, and the warning read: caution contains lead, so today I asked them to open the case and let me see the info on the back. Although it is an old style tube, that is exactly what it is, not PY41, so nevermind :D

Gigalot

Mix color, not colour. This Naples Yellow color can be mixed very easily using Cadmium Red and Cadmium Yellow. You can add some yellow ochre to “dull” brighter Cadmiums to a proper PY41 hue.

KeeverMacLeod

Yes, that is what it is. The front of the tube was all I could see the other day because they have them locked in a plexi case, and the warning read: caution contains lead, so today I asked them to open the case and let me see the info on the back. Although it is an old style tube, that is exactly what it is, not PY41, so nevermind :D

That’s what I figured. I have a tube of WN Naples Yellow I bought circa 2009, a tube with pigment info on the front. It too contains PBr24, PW1, and PW4. Nothing special about it. The more recent “Naples Yellow Deep” containing pure PBr24 is much better, although it’s not a color I use anymore.

Mix color, not colour. This Naples Yellow color can be mixed very easily using Cadmium Red and Cadmium Yellow. You can add some yellow ochre to “dull” brighter Cadmiums to a proper PY41 hue.

I agree, and this is exactly what I do.

Naples Yellow has far too high a repute for something so reactive and with no paint film advantages despite its lead content. Better to use PY53 and PBr24 or mix the proper color.

rltromble

Awhile back, I won a couple of boxes of old paints on ebay and among the contents was a tube of permanent pigments Naples yellow. No pigment numbers, but the pigment is listed as genuine lead antimoniate. The color looks nothing like the Winsor Newton Naples yellow which is a mix of I think 3 pigments. I guess the best description I can give is that it is some where between yellow ocher and cadmium yellow. I can see how it could be useful, but not needed.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

neilpriceart

Thanks so much for the replies, its a tough one, its such an expense just to try, but i guess this is the only option to see if its as wonderful and glowing as the hype.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                                              • The topic ‘Genuine Naples Yellow Light, PY41’ is closed to new replies.