Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone On-line auctions of art supplies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    star fisher

Many of the on-line auctions of used art supplies are outrageously over priced.
        When I browse auctions of art supplies looking for paints or other supplies, I no longer find bargains. What I have been finding lately is prices that are higher than the same items bought new. One auction for six tubes of student grade watercolor paints, in used condition, were priced at 160% of the price of the same tubes of paint if bought new today. Another lot of watercolor paints tubes had some of the tubes that were missing caps or the cap was on crooked with paint leaking out, some tubes were split open, and many tubes look squeezed out with most of the paint already gone, yet the auction price was still high. Another auction was asking $36 for 2ml of PO49 squeezed into a half pan (plus $4 for shipping).

I really miss the days when bargains could be found; when someone getting out of painting or selling off a deceased relatives paints would pass them along to a new painter just getting started at a price that reflected the value of used supplies. Now it seems as if the on-line sellers are only looking to gouge unsuspecting buyers. To those sellers: a half used tube of burnt umber is not a rare antique worth more than the same tube currently being sold in the stores.

Had to get that off my chest. Sorry for the rant.

Mel

Cliff sayer

I agree, though I only browse online auctions looking for storage art boxes, the price of the used paints I see are outrageous

dustlilac

I thought so too until I tried to sell myself. What I realized that its no longer worth it to people to try to sell online to get rid of things.

The fees are high and you lose so much, listing is a huge time sink that usually does not pay off as not many people see those auctions you took the time to list — they get lost in thousands of listings from china sellers.

Then there is dealing with hundreds of questions, returns from people abusing the system, scams and chargebacks.

After all of that, the couple of dollars you might make are not worth the headache and the time. I ended up donating or giving away cheaper things and selling only high end items that are worth the trouble.

Kaylen

check your local facebook marketplace I do a search every now and then and come up with some real bargains,,,,but also there is a lot of what you are talking about,,the dif I think is you are not competing with the world,,, I have mine set to 35 miles from me

Kaylen Savoie
                    https://www.savoieartist.com/
                    At least twice a year,paint something better than you ever painted before.

I was very impressed with the person who put up a new (old-stock) 14-ml tube of Winsor Newton true Manganese Blue (PB33) watercolor paint on E-Bay for (I kid you not) $160.00. That took some chutzpah! Hmm … I wonder if it ever sold for that asking price? …

There’s actually a trading and swapping section here at Wet Canvas, I recently noticed. https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=83 Might be a good place to ask for any out-of-the-way supplies in your media, which may be rather unwanted among artists who favor other media.

-----
                    Certified Closet Management Engineer, Slung Watercolor Society of America

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.