Home Forums Explore Media Oil Pastels Oil Pastel Library Oil Pastel Challenges Oil pastel challenge and chat for May 2019

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 146 total)
  • Author
    Mira

Hi friends oil pastelists! :cat:

May is knocking on your door and it means it’s time for a new monthly challenge! :clap:

I’m hosting this month and I’ve chosen one of my passions and inspirations as the theme: different cultures and ethnicities. Don’t think it’s just complicated traditional costumes and exotic portraits! I’ve tried to choose different kinds of photos, both easier and more complex ones, including landscapes with a hint of an exotic country or a country with an unusual and special landscapes ;)

Being drawn to exotic Asian countries and bright colorful cultures of Middle East and Latin America, I have chosen the following reference photos – hope you guys will enjoy them too and take an active part in painting them! :clap:

Remember you can crop, change and modify them any way you like. And it’s always good to indicate what kind of support (and size) you use :)

The photos with active links are from Flickr, others from WetCanvas Reference Image Library and Pixabay :)

Scandinavian runes by Eddie Coyote[/URL]

Ireland

Two versions of Stonehenge:

Ireland:

Tsukubai water fountain in a Japanese Buddhist Temple by Bob the Magic Dragon[/URL]:

Sakura Blossoms by Throgers[/URL]:

This must be a man from India or Bangladesh… By Brian Would[/URL]:

I will upload more inspiring photos tomorrow ;)

I love oil pastels and have created a blog about this medium. While the blog posts are in Russian, still I invite you to get inspired with various artists' beautiful OP paintings in my blog's gallery: https://oilpastelist.wordpress.com/gallery

Mira

Sakura Blossoms by Throgers[/URL]:

by Hansel and Regrettal[/URL]

Chinese lantern:

A Japanese girl by Rico Lee[/URL] – it’s a beautiful series and you can check out all the photos by this link and choose another one :)

Holi:

I love oil pastels and have created a blog about this medium. While the blog posts are in Russian, still I invite you to get inspired with various artists' beautiful OP paintings in my blog's gallery: https://oilpastelist.wordpress.com/gallery

Mira

Colombia:

Indian women by Sandro Lacarbona[/URL]:

Temple of Hera (Greece):

by Elijah Nouvelage[/URL]:

Machu Picchu and Llama by Geraint Rowland[/URL]:

Vietnam:

Also Vietnam:

Native American by socaltimes[/URL]:

Mexico:

Cabarello:

Turkey:

SarahY

OMG that Llama! Love it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.shyeomans.co.uk
                    \m/ neue deutsche härte \m/
                    Nothing left but smoke and cellar, and a woman with a black umbrella...

Wow! A geat selection to choose from! Thanks for hosting!

Christel

terriks

OMG that Llama! Love it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was laughing, too! That photographer got photobombed by a llama! :lol:

Terrific series of images, Mira. Lots to choose from here. Thanks for hosting for us this month. :clap:

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

Piratess

I love love love every single image! Awesome job, going to be hard to choose just one so I guess I’ll try several.

Piratess ~~~~~
                            Art is the only way to run away without leaving home ~ Twyla Tharp

Mira

Yay! So glad you loved this selection, guys! :clap: now I’m looking forward to seeing the paintings ;)

I am thinking about taking several of them too – hope I can make it by the end of May :angel:

laika

Llamahenge. It’s in the ether now…

Lamar

Art is life's dream interpretation.
                                    - Otto Rank

terriks

Llamahenge. It’s in the ether now…

:lol:

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

My version of Ireland’s surreal landscape:angel: A4

Something was missing….a focal point…an animal!

C+c welcome.

Christel

terriks

This turned out great, Christel! I like your sky and the details in the grass. Your sky colors are beautiful! Sometimes open landscapes do seem to lack a focal point, so I think your animal addition is a good one. :)

Terri

Thanks Terri!

Christel

Mira

Nice sky and water, Christel – and adding an animal was a great idea! :clap: this landscape did feel a bit empty without it :)

I would suggest adding more darks to the water and a little more variety to the grass but it is hard to do on A4 :angel: adding the animal solved this problem :)

Rich A

I love the addition of the cattle grazing in this field. Looks like a cow to me. Nice work Christel!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 146 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.