Home Forums The Learning Center Studio Tips and Framing rabbit skin glue problem

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    greenwheel

I have attempted to use rabbit skin glue to prepare my own canvases and have run into some unexpected trouble. I wonder if anyone has encountered these problems before and if they may be able to offer some advice. I made a glue at a ratio of 1:10 RSG to water (not the powdered form, but the kind that comes in plates) soaking the glue first for 12 hours. Although I took care to slowly heat it in a double boiler and kept it well below boiling it never attained a jelly-like consistency (it stayed roughly as liquid as water). In spite of this, I applied it to the raw linen. After some four hours (before the glue set completely but was essentially touch dry) the canvas began to buckle and warp extensively. I have repeated my initial attempt with a stronger glue and a tightly stretched canvas (my initial attempt was with a loosely stretched canvas) but with the exact same results. Aside from forgetting something during the preparation of the glue, my only explanation for the unusual warping of the linen is that it was very humid on the two days of my experimentation. I have treated this raw linen several times before with several coats of acrylic gesso without experiencing any significant warping. Has anyone experienced anything similar to this? My thanks in advance for any advice…

Helen Zapata

I’m afraid I’ve only used the powdered RSG and it was very easy. But I’ll post this to help give your thread a push. Hopefully someone else will have the answer for you. Good luck!

Helen

colin

Hi Green,

Although I took care to slowly heat it in a double boiler and kept it well below boiling it never attained a jelly-like consistency (it stayed roughly as liquid as water)

It doesnt gel unless its cold . You dont want it to gel — ive made gesso with RSG and accidentaly formed a gel by using a food processor to mix it with –what a disaster ! It wouldnt brush at all and acted like grape jelly .

After some four hours (before the glue set completely but was essentially touch dry) the canvas began to buckle and warp extensively. I have repeated my initial attempt with a stronger glue and a tightly stretched canvas (my initial attempt was with a loosely stretched canvas) but with the exact same results.

This problem has nothing to do with the strength of the glue . Its simply the hot glue shrinking the canvas .
                Try :
                brushing it on when its a little cooler,
                or washing the canvas first ( a lotta people say this is a must anyhow but i dont do it )
                or not stretching yer raw canvas so tight
                or using a heavier grade of linen
                or use heavier stretcher bars
                or just take them off afterwards and re-stretch em .

when you stretch raw canvas you shouldnt see a whole lot of waves in the thread –indicating youve pulled it too tightly . They are sure to cause problems later . Ya have to anticipate firstly the glue size tightening the thing drum tight, then yer prime loosening it . If yer tensions are all imbalanced by stretching too tight in the first place yer bound to have pockets and loose places after everything is done .

hope thats some help …
                colin

I forgot to ask how big are these canvases ? Are they big enough to require crossbraces and heavy stretchers, and if so did you use them ? Any dimension over like, 28 inches is almost sure to need heavy bars and a crossbrace … it also depends on the weight of canvas used .

Remember you can just restretch them if they warp after the glue dries — ya dont need to lay another coat . Or even prime them first, warped as they are, and then restretch.

Littlefield Gallery, Winter Harbor, ME[/url]

Colin Barclay Blogspot[/url]

greenwheel

thankyou for the replies so far… in response to colin’s points, I have been sizing these canvases (60 x 80 cm) on stretcher bars with a cross brace (2 x 4 cm), but perhaps my linen needs to be of a heavier grade. Unfortunately, I do not have the threads per sq inch available, but certainly it’s not a tight weave and light penetrates the spacing easily (though it’s not so loose as burlap). As to the consistency of the size I have read one source suggesting that it can be applied with a palette knife–considering how thin my attempts have turned out I can’t imagine how it would be useful to apply it in this manner. The solution beads over the linen surface and soaks into it just like water would–does that nonetheless sound like the right consistency? I will try this again applying the glue at a cooler temperature and washing the canvas prior to the initial stretching as these factors seem like they may help. Considering how loosely I had intially stretched the linen, it seems it may be worth applying the size to the linen lying flat without stretching it–is this recommendable? I had read a couple sources saying that one shouldn’t do this (although without an explanation). Finally, regarding the tautness of the sized canvases, there is no strain at the tacks nor wave patterns in the thread–it is confusing because it does look as if there had been tension abnormalities at the root of the problem and yet there is no particular evidence that this is the case aside from the extensive warping. I have tried to restretch the canvases, but they have proved too stiff for me to compensate for the warping. I had an idea to soak the canvases and then restretch them before they had set again–is the sizing water soluble after initially setting? Anyway, thankyou again for the responses so far, although if there are any other ideas out there I would be ecstatic to hear them as I am not yet ready to mourn all that linen I had purchased (5 linear metres!)…

Enchanted

thankyou for the replies so far…

I’ve been waiting to see what replies you get before jumping in since it wasn’t clear to me from your original post just what the problem was. Now you’ve elaborated on it and perhaps I can suggest something.

First of all, are you stretching your canvas in the recommended way – by starting at the center of each side and working outward toward each corner as you tack or staple? I think it’s important in order to get an overall uniform initial stretching.

Secondly, while I’ve not used RSG that often, when I have, as well as when I use acrylic gesso, I have always soaked the canvas or linen from both sides with a large sponge loaded with water. I find it makes whatever size or primer I’m using penetrate the fibers more fully. I’ve never had this sort of “wrinkling” problem and have never witnessed it with other artists I know who use RSG on linen (or on cotton, for that matter). Usually the problem, if it can be called that, is that the RSG tends to form a “drum tight” result with all that implies for the need to have sturdy stretcher strips that do not twist or bend under all that pressure.

Thirdly, and this one only you can answer, is the weave and weight of the linen. USUALLY, a reputable art supplier sells linens and canvas that are best suited to an artist’s uses. OTOH, buying by “price” instead of by physical description could be problematic. You don’t want the canvas or linen to tear loose at the tack or staple positions when it shrinks.

colin

Ok now I am confused !

What do ya mean by ” warping ” exactly ?

Do you mean that the canvas is wrinkling and folding ? Or do you mean that the whole thing is tight as a drum and is pulling the actual stretchers out of plane, like if you twisted the ends of a peice of paper in opposite directions ?

if its the former – that the canvas is wrinkling and humping up, then its definitely yer stretching technique . Even crappy canvas will stretch perfectly flat . The stuff you are using sounds a bit thin but thats ok – it will be more difficult to stretch right , however . I used to use a lot of very fine weave Polish linen and it was tricky to get right .

Are you spacing yer staples or tacks pretty close ? On a fine, light weave canvas this is more important. Use a steady pressure all around and pull it till the weave starts to bend . I tack mine about an inch and a half apart –if they are too far apart it will cause wrinkles . Also, when you start – put in yer 4 tacks in the centers then temporarily tack the corners with only light pressure on the fabric –this will help very much to keep everything straight . Then as you reach the corners just pop out those temp. tacks and stretch with normal pressure.

Sizing it before stretching doesnt sound like a hot idea. The object of the RSG size is to isolate the canvas from the oil, and you dont want to crack it off by stretching after you size it . Also it will probably shrink up into a wierd shape and be very hard to actually stretch .

Yes bunny glue is water soluble after its dry — thats why you dont really want to get it too wet after you apply it, although I dont know if its strength comes back after its been wet or not …

I would wash the wrinkled canvases in the washing machine and start over . Dont worry though — you will get the hang of it .

The solution beads over the linen surface and soaks into it just like water would

thats exactly right — you dont want a heavy coat . Just enough to soak the threads .

greenwheel

Thankyou everyone–I think I have pieced together the problem. I have lightly dampened my intial canvas with a sponge and used a blow dryer on it for several minutes and the linen tightened up shortly after that removing most of the distortions. As I stretched my initial canvas I had made sure to make it very loose–I think this is where the distortions came from. As it was extremely humid that day (my plaster walls were sweating) so the glue did not have the right conditions to compensate for what proved to be too loose a canvas and left sagging marks all over the middle of the canvas. When the weather cleared up a couple days ago, my second canvas took on stretch marks more typical of a tight canvas as I had stretched it much tighter to avoid the problems I encountered previously. It presented itself with waves in the thread at the tacks and left tight bumps extending to either side of the frame (although it was still not tight enough to pull the stretcher bars out of alignment). As I am using a light-grade linen it exacerbated the problems. As jaxas has suggested, I may have been able to avoid some of the problems if I had initially dampened the canvases in a consistent manner as many of the bumps that first appeared (before the humidity settled) did so approximately where the size had penetrated the linen the least causing several patches to appear dryer and lighter long before the size had time to dry. My apologies for being unclear from the start–I should have just said that the canvases appeared distorted exactly like a piece of paper would appear after being soaked then dryed without being fixed at the edges with tape or tacks. I think the lack of clarity over the degrees of tightness and looseness were complicated by the fact that my lighter grade linen is somewhat more elastic in a manner of speaking so that when I say “tight” it’s still fairly loose by your standards (making my initial “loose” canvas no better than unstretched linen). Additionally, I see that two of you are in arid areas and colin (I presume) not far from the mediating effects of the sea. This may explain why your experiences with RSG have proved so consistent. Anyway, thanks again for your help–I will be better prepared as I continue my work.

colin

Hi Green,
                                    Glad its working out . I know it can be a pain at first but after a while you will zip right thru this job .
                                    At the beginning though, it helps to have a quiet place to sit and curse !
                                    C

If you’re going to continue using the plates of ‘RSG’ and you have a food processor you can break it down to a powder yourself – you’ll find this will greatly improve the solubility (as it will with anything you’re trying to dissolve) and will make your life a lot easier :)

FWIW I wouldn’t use a hide glue for sizing if I were you as there are a number of better options available to the artist today.

Einion

Do you know if your colour is off in hue, value, chroma... or all three?

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk

bliblob

i never had this problem with rabbit glue until today. and i’ve stretched canvases over 6 feet square before. usually, (i hadn’t done this in almost a year so i forgot this stage) you want to take a brush and wet the canvas, then let it dry.

then you apply the rabbit glue, sand it, let dry, then apply the second layer in opposing strokes (if you used horizontal strokes before, now you use vertical ones for the second layer. it helps to assure no missed spots).

the only other thing that i can think of that could cause the warping is humidity (although this never did anything before), or the fact that i had taken the glue pot off the burner and carried it around to apply it. it was cool but still looked like beer and was as liquid as water as i finished applying it (the canvas was large at 3.5 x7 feet and i was using a small brush).

did you do anything similar to what i did?

bliblob

sorry, i hadn’t realized this thread was so old.

1992nezumi

Hi biblob…I hope you will still read this…
                                                I have had some different problems with rabbit skin glue.After I had sized the linen with it, it was pretty taught, but when the glue dried it slackened again so that in the end it was even looser than before sizing it.
                                                A loose canvas did tighten a bit, but not enough, so I decided to stretch it tighter (as tight as I could just using my hands) and it didn’t work at all.
                                                I do think my coat was a little too thickly applied bc I feared it would not cover the whole canvas.
                                                I didn’t let the glue boil or anything and applied it when it was a little warm. Perhaps the glue is just bad quality? It wasn’t really expensive….

Bas Nijenhuis

I want to revive this thread, especially for the last post and question,
                                                    I have similar results, stretching two large canvasses of Claessens unprimed linnen 066. the sizes are: 100 x 120 cm and 100×170 cm.

I cut the linnen and tacked them handtight, then applied rabbitskin glue (I chose this over alternatives; for now). After tacking it is fairly tight.

It becomes drumtight after the glue is applied, dries in several hours, but the next day, it is quite loose. More loose even then when I hand stretched it….
                                                    What could have gone wrong?

The glue is 1:10 ratio, dissolved and heated to about 40-50 degrees C.
                                                    (i/e: quite warm, but not hot). I applied one coat.

Tom Murray

I want to revive this thread, especially for the last post and question,
                                                        I have similar results, stretching two large canvasses of Claessens unprimed linnen 066. the sizes are: 100 x 120 cm and 100×170 cm.

I cut the linnen and tacked them handtight, then applied rabbitskin glue (I chose this over alternatives; for now). After tacking it is fairly tight.

It becomes drumtight after the glue is applied, dries in several hours, but the next day, it is quite loose. More loose even then when I hand stretched it….
                                                        What could have gone wrong?

The glue is 1:10 ratio, dissolved and heated to about 40-50 degrees C.
                                                        (i/e: quite warm, but not hot). I applied one coat.

That’s how RSG behaves on raw linen.

WFMartin

That’s how RSG behaves on raw linen.

And, the problem with using rabbitskin glue is that when it begins to sag again, you can’t apply water to the back of the canvas to re-tighten it. Rabbitskin glue remains water soluble after it has dried, and will have a tendency to re-dissolve while you are trying to shrink the canvas with water.

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                                                            https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.