WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink > Calligraphy
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2011, 07:55 AM
Lord of the Arts
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia
Re: Calligraphy Online Tutorials - Part 3

I like it.

"Slow going"? The pulled method is a slow process !

Slow progress? Those who are would-be perfectionists find difficulty in being totally satisfied with anything they attempt. It has often been levelled at me! So --- join the club.

It's a tough learning path but --- read my "signature"

Hang in there, Salman, you are coping well.

Geoff
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2011, 02:29 PM
Toronto

Hails from Canada

Thanks for the encouragement Geoff - I need it.

I have been practicing the cursive method in parallel in a slightly different style that I feel is easier to do for me. I find that the pull method is giving me a better understanding of the form and it helps tremendously with the cursive practice.

Here is a link to an example of my Cursive Practice.

I am lucky to not only receive instruction from you but also encouragement. Its good to know that this learning process is 'normal' :-)

I have started the majuscule lessons and it is indeed a lot of fun and it seems like the end is in sight - although I doubt I'll ever be really done learning this hand. I felt this when starting with the Batarde majuscules too.

Regards,
Salman

My Blog
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2011, 06:22 AM
Toronto

Hails from Canada

Geoff - my attempt at the exercise for Majuscules Lesson 1.

I am still dithering between 'too fast and inaccurate' (the first P) and 'too slow and shaky' (bottom of the R).

My practice continues - the good news is that I think I can see light at the end of the tunnel.

Salman

My Blog
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2011, 09:14 AM
Lord of the Arts
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

Sorry about the delay in answering, Salman. I had a bit of malware troubles and have kept away from communicatimg with anyone until I sorted it out. I still have a pesky intruder that keeps trying to force me to purchase "internet protection" software --- supposedly a genuine Microsoft product !

To your post --- the weight of those shades is much better; occasional roughness in the connecting at the bottom of the e (first e in Peter is good).

I have noticed (and somehow failed to getting around to mention) that you have always had the habit of making a "fractured" s. The pressure segment which appears above the waistline is an imtegral part of the shaded downstroke --- I believe it is a token remnant of the curl-over of the long s (looks like an f without the through stroke) which was prevalent then and for some time after.

Keep going with the lessons --- it won't be long before you will have dealt with them all !

Geoff
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2011, 12:45 PM
Toronto

Hails from Canada

Geoff - sorry to hear about your malware problems. Maybe you will consider a Macintosh for your next purchase. I moved from Linux to OS X (which is based on BSD Unix) with a brief and very frustrating stint with Windblows in between. My younger son wanted a Windows laptop - and I need to straighten things out for him on regular basis. The three Macs in our household don't require any attention beyond regular and completely painless updates.

You know - I noticed the fractured 's' too albeit on a sub-conscious level and never did anything about it. I don't know why I do it this way either. Consider it fixed.

I do find the joins in connecting the hairlines a bit troublesome but they're improving with practice.

Salman

My Blog
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2011, 05:00 PM
Toronto

Hails from Canada

OK - here's lesson 2 in Majuscules. Turning the paper seems to throw me off - the F and the D were hard to balance well - the L, although similar to D, was much easier for some reason.

The shakiness is quite visible but I think I'm getting there. Not much time for practice these days but can't stay away too long either :-)

My Blog
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2011, 08:39 AM
Lord of the Arts
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

I am very pleased with these, Salman. There is a rhythm showing and that is what it is largely about.

Only two points to make --- The F and the r could be slightly closer (I would even clip a bit off the entry stroke of the r if I thought it to be necessary) and the hairlines at the top of each of your Ds have a gap between them and the shaded downstroke. I think the fact that your top entries to the whole letter should be more out to the left, making the peak of the hairline well before the shaded downstroke, is contributing to your apparent difficulties.

Just practise writing D.L.D. a couple of times and then go on to the next lesson. With your high level of self criticism, I think that the sooner that you have experienced the writing of the remaining letters the better you will feel about things. This has been a huge learning experience for you --- and with the massive upheaval of changing your place of living and also having a family to care for means that 24 hours a day is too little for all that you are trying to achieve !!!

Reduce the tension. Relax --- in time that you set aside just to sit back and enjoy listening to the people passing by. You are a great student but someimes you think too much! This old codger has done the same in times past but long ago learnt that there is very definite place now and then for "doing nothing" !!!

Geoff
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2011, 10:52 AM
Toronto

Hails from Canada

So it shows through then. I can see it too now when I compare it with my previous post.

Most, if not all, texts on Arabic Calligraphy stress that you should only practice when relaxed and in a good mood because the calligraphy will reflect that mood. I'm sure this is true of all art in general.

The good news is that practicing Calligraphy is a relaxing activity for me, which means that my sessions usually start with me in a tense state and end with me in a relaxed state.

Your advice is good and I'm going to take it. In fact I tried it when writing DLD's and I can see the difference it makes.

I am beginning to understand your way of teaching, its much more than just providing 'information' on Calligraphy - the method is much more than just technique. I am lucky to have run into you.

Salman

My Blog
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2011, 05:27 PM
Toronto

Hails from Canada

At long last - lessons 3 and 4. I'm sure there are areas where I can improve e.g. the size of the dots needs to be more consistent and equal to the thickness of the shade and the places where the clockwise and anti-clockwise strokes of the hairline curves at the start join each other.

Here's lesson 3:

And here's lesson 4:

I missed making the tips of the W and the V a little higher - I do like them better that way.

I have a question about the letter 'M' in lesson 5. If the middle part of the M is like the letter V, doesn't that make the first hairline stroke steeper than 55 degrees? Either that or we must make the first shaded stroke a little more vertical than the regular slope.

Regards,
Salman

My Blog
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2011, 07:01 AM
Lord of the Arts
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

Thank you for the compliment, Salman. I guess it all stems back to the fact that I have taught full-time in schools from ages 5 to 16. in a prison twice a week for 7 years with a wide range of ages, in a teachers college with most about 20yrs old part-time for 3 years, in community colleges with all ages up to 80 part-time for 12 years and as a private after-school coach with students having a bit of learning difficulties for about 8 years. So I always had to take a very personal angle for my students --- and I enjoyed every minute of it !!!

This writing is beautiful. You will have to become my demonstrator --- when you do a better final n counter in Organization !

Thank you for questioning the letter M . In error, I mentioned V when it should have been the N . Good pick-up.

If I were Konrad I would be very proud to see my name written with such superb precision and sheer beauty. Congratulations.

Geoff
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2011, 03:44 PM
Toronto

Hails from Canada

Thanks for the lovely feedback Geoff - and for associating hope even with my mistakes. It will be an honour to be your demonstrator - I hope I can earn that position soon.

Here's lesson 5 on the Majuscules:

I think the lower bowl of the E needs to be rounder and the counter on the final 'n' is still not quite up to par - I'll chalk that last one down to nerves :-)

Salman

My Blog
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2011, 09:02 AM
Lord of the Arts
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

Salman ---- "PASS" (Hons)

Lovely work. You are more critical than I this time !

Now the numerals

Geoff
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2011, 04:20 AM
Toronto

Hails from Canada

Thank you Geoff. I'm striving to meet the highest standards I can set for myself. The scan is probably hiding the slight unsteadiness in the joining hairline in the 'n' and I mentioned the roundness in the E after comparing it with your original. Its good to know I'm getting close.

The numerals were fun to do, I had a little bit of trouble getting the proportions of the 3 right but got the hang of it after thinking of it as a reverse E.

I wasn't quite sure about whether to put actually 'today's' date or 'that days' date - so I did both :-) Here are the scans:

I hope they meet the standard.

Salman

My Blog
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2011, 08:11 AM
Lord of the Arts
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

Salman, here comes the whip !!!

In the second Salman the links in each a have rough joins and the top of each bowl in those letters should come up to the waistline.

Numerals --- In each 2 give even thickness throughout the whole "horizontal" part of the base stroke; in numeral 3 make the little middle loop much smaller and narrower, then make more of the upper left entry; the second 2011 has better spacing than the first.
I don't mind which dates you use providng there is a bit of variety !
In your rewrite if you want to use your whole name that would be OK and give you the opportunity to write a beautiful K .

I am sorry I didn't answer yesterday but we had a power black-out from 8.30pm to 4.30pm today--- one of our very old cables went into melt-down and it took a long time to track it down, in a very awkward spot under the join of the original roof to the extension roof !

Geoff
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2011, 09:15 AM
Toronto

Hails from Canada

Geoff - I deserve the whip for hurrying through the numerals. I did write the second example rather hurriedly. I guess the excitement of nearing the end got the better of me.

I'll get right on it and make it right.

Thank you for your patience through this rather drawn out process of guiding me along.

Salman

My Blog