WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Computers and Technology for Artists
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to Microsoft Vista?
upgrading to Vista - no other investment involved 3 3.85%
upgrading to Vista - major investment involved 11 14.10%
planning an upgrade in the next year 2 2.56%
planning to switch to Apple 8 10.26%
reviewed the options and sitting tight for the time being 30 38.46%
reviewed the options and don't know what to do 2 2.56%
not even given it a thought! 22 28.21%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2007, 09:47 AM
A Local Legend
London

Hails from United Kingdom
Are you upgrading to Vista? The current state of play...

Have you upgraded to Vista? Or maybe you're planning to? Or you may just have decided to sit tight or go with an alternative option.

This thread is about getting some sense of the current state of play amongst the people who frequent this board. We're not a rigorous sampling framework and it's not a scientific test - but it is interesting to get some sort of sense of the possible numbers........

If you want to explain your choice please do.

Last edited by Katherine T : 03-29-2007 at 09:52 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2007, 09:58 AM
A Local Legend
London

Re: Are you upgrading to Vista? The current state of play...

For the record, I'm not planning to do anything. I never upgrade until the new product has been out for some time. My policy is to let somebody else find the problems!

However, from what I've read about the benefits and the hardware demands I really don't think it offers enough benefits to me to justify the extra expense given my current set-up.

Plus I've read that an upgrade of XP is now planned (for 2008?).
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2007, 10:29 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

I'm staying with XP Home until I am forced to change my laptop. I still have Windows 2000 Pro on my desktop.

Doug
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2007, 11:12 AM
State of Suspense

Hails from United States

I haven't any need to upgrade to Vista right now. Why mess with something that is working for me? Eventually I will upgrade my hardware and at that time I'm sure I will make the move to Vista, but that probably won't be for another year or more. I build my own computers and the one I have now was built to go for a few years without having to worry about upgrading.

Ray
“It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power.”- Alan Cohen
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2007, 11:16 AM
A WC! Legend
england

Hails from England

I've heard that it has very tight security with regard to pirate programmes/copying and won't allow them ..... so not one for anyone who has programmes that 'fell off the back of a lorry' as we say.

I'm sticking with my XP

MY WEBSITE:http://vivienblackburn.com MY BLOG:http://vivienb.blogspot.com/ ETSY for original paintings http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6150568
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2007, 06:54 PM

I was amazed by the stabilty and speed of Vista, I didn't expect this after all the trouble they went trough the last few months. I must admit, I have the latest hardware, but then again, we already knew 2 years ago that Vista was coming at the end of 2006, so those who decided to buy new hardware 1 or 2 years ago shouldn't cry now about high hardware requirements.

The reason why I don't use Vista is simple: Microsoft needed 5 years to build Vista and for some strange reason it wasn't long enough for many companies to upgrade their software. Pretty sad if you ask me. Even a simple program like WinRar is not even 100% compatible and although they're working on an update that will be released in April, why didn't they have it ready a few months earlier? Also from a marketing perspective it doesn't make sense, because I wouldn't be surprised that some Vista compatible products sell better now than products of competitors that are not Vista compatible.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2007, 08:07 PM
A Local Legend
South Australia

Hails from Australia

I chose "reviewed the options and sitting tight for the time being" because my OS works just fine on my 18 month old PC. In saying this though if my laptop was to die tomorrow with no return, I would probably go with the Vista.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2007, 02:50 AM
A Local Legend
London

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings6644
The reason why I don't use Vista is simple: Microsoft needed 5 years to build Vista and for some strange reason it wasn't long enough for many companies to upgrade their software. Pretty sad if you ask me.
Now this line of argument has got me really puzzled.

If all the information needed by the software business was available at the beginning of the five years then why did it take Microsoft 5 years to release Vista. You're not comparing like with like - the software companies have not had 5 years.

If all the information needed by the software business was not available until Vista was in near-finished beta mode (but it took them nearly 5 years to get there) then why do you assume that the associated software development is a breeze and can be turned round over night?

If a software company has observed consumer behaviour on past new releases by Microsoft (ie most wait until at least service pack # 1 has been released before going for adoption), then why would they think there is any need to rush out new software in any case? Particularly if it looks like consumers in the marketplace is looking at the total cost (ie including new hardware) and saying "Not right now thank you".
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2007, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Perth Au

Hails from Australia

What's Vista???
I do know what a monopoly is and the signs of it happening.
I don't use any microsoft products.
I do use Debian Linux.
The last three lines before this one are separate statements.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2007, 05:19 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Portugal

Hi,

Vista here in Portugal is more than twice expensive than in USA.
With wages going around 700 Euro, why care ?
I got Windows XP pro with office pro in a computer that I've purchased on Cash Converters for 80 Euro. It's a Pentium II but it's working great.

Kind regards,

José

Read about it on my Blog

I'm not lazy because I sleep until late. I just dream alot.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2007, 05:55 PM
Leicester England

I've had quite a lot to say about this already in the forum. The only other thing I can say is, that with 3 computers running, 1 for audio/video, 1 for internet only and 1 for messing about with, and all running XP there is no way on earth that I could afford to update all to Vista even if I wanted to make things look pretty. As regards the security aspect, my internet machine is protected with full AV and Firewall (not the windows one!) spy-ware and ad-ware scanners. I use the web for about 3hours each day. In several years the only nasties I have picked up are a few tracking cookies which spy-ware scans soon remove. I am careful where I go though!!! If I got anything really bad then I would simply re-format the internet machine and re-install-No problem!!. Why would I want to change things?
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2007, 01:43 PM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Well, I decided not to wait, I ordered my new laptop whilst they are still available - an Acer Aspire 5101AWLMi with 120Gb hard disk, 1Gb RAM and

Windows XP Media Center Edition

At least all my gear and software will work!

Doug
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2007, 06:37 PM
A Local Legend
South Australia

Hails from Australia

Looks like you chose an OS that is right for you! Now I wonder how much painting you will get done now you have a new toy to play with....
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2007, 12:14 AM
St. Charles, IL USA

Hails from United States

I wasn't planning on going to Vista, but my husband got tired of hearing me complain about my laptop, so he bought me a new one. The operating system is of course Vista.

I'm not unhappy with it. Based on what people have been saying, I had been expecting nothing but problems. That has not been the case. When we bought the laptop, the salesperson recommended we install Mac OS X on it. Just a piece of wierdness that went along with it.

Software problems? Not really. If a piece of software acts jiggy, I just tell it to operate under Windows XP, jiggyness gone.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2007, 09:55 PM
A Local Legend
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine T
Have you upgraded to Vista?

If you want to explain your choice please do.

You mean downgrade to Vista. Ain't no way in Hades! I didn't want to even shift to Xtra Proprietary, but didn't have a choice. XP's bad enough, but Vista's logrythmically worse!

I'll stick with this, for now, then shift to Linux.

There's much much more than this little excerpt at the link below.

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00...ista_cost.html

Executive Summary

Windows Vista includes an extensive reworking of core OS elements in order to provide content protection for so-called “premium content”, typically HD data from Blu-Ray and HD-DVD sources. Providing this protection incurs considerable costs in terms of system performance, system stability, technical support overhead, and hardware and software cost. These issues affect not only users of Vista but the entire PC industry, since the effects of the protection measures extend to cover all hardware and software that will ever come into contact with Vista, even if it's not used directly with Vista (for example hardware in a Macintosh computer or on a Linux server). This document analyses the cost involved in Vista's content protection, and the collateral damage that this incurs throughout the computer industry.

Executive Executive Summary

The Vista Content Protection specification could very well constitute the longest suicide note in history
/end excerpt