WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink > Calligraphy
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2016, 05:48 PM

Re: new member

No problem ill upload some practice so you can see were a bouts I am in my progress.
No rush I understand life I'm just comming off a load myself.
Randy
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2016, 07:18 AM
Lord of the Arts
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

Hi Mike
How Salman can cope with work and teaching beats me! I was in retirement when I was in the series , so things were relatively uncomplicated.

Because I have to use my word processor, greatly enlarge your comments and questions, make my reply, then reduce to a decent font size, it may be a day or two before you get a reply.
Geoff
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2016, 07:27 AM
Lord of the Arts
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

"]Hi Mike
How Salman can cope with work and teaching beats me! I was in retirement when I was in the series , so things were relatively uncomplicated.

Because I have to use my word processor, greatly enlarge your comments and questions, make my reply, then reduce to a decent font size, it may be a day or two before you get a reply.
Geoff[
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2016, 02:48 AM
Lord of the Arts
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

Randy. To all I am just Geoff.

The macula in my eyes is breaking down and cannot be replaced — it cannot improve but only worsen. I have already had inter-ocular lens replacements but now old age is winning. Thank you for your concern.

The hardest hand to learn? ( I will write as if I were in the present tense) I don’t find it difficult to hold a constant pen-angle — neither do I find it difficult to manipulate the angle as what, when and where I want it. Strict control of the shaping and the line control doesn’t cause any hassles. Knowledge of the palaeography has always been a “must”.

Some styles are favourites — like gothic batarde, modern italics, manipulated carolingian. Others that are tolerable — gothic textura, insular uncials. E.J’s foundational. Note that these are all written with an edged pen.

The hardest — but not uncontrollable — I find are the ones written with a pointed nib. Not only do you have to control direction, shape, size, slopes, proportion, spacing and connections but also pressure induced thicks and thins. That needs a fine and sensitive touch. Far from impossible but too easily “acceptable”. High quality engrossing is challenging but exhilarating when satisfactorily achieved.

Flourishes should always marry naturally the letter with the negative space or adjoining letter(s). If it doesn’t appear to be a natural outcome it looks contrived and that repels aesthetics.

A favourite piece of mine that I designed and wrote is a Shakespearian quotation of about 16 words. It is written in a manipulated gothic batarde.

There is a gradual transition in letter colours throughout the first line with a reversing of the colour change in the last line. But the letter forming was the most interesting .

The entry into each letter was at a pen-angle of 45 degrees. It was then twisted to 60 degrees and back to 30 degrees for the exit. The whole letter was without slope and the x- height was 6x pen-width.

The pen angles gave sharpness to the top, a lithe body and weight to the base. The flourishes took your eye into an awaiting space, up or down to another level or to another letter. I wanted everything to look as if it were alive!

Geoff

Last edited by dgford : 05-08-2016 at 03:16 AM.
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2016, 04:40 PM

Geoff
"I wanted everything to look as if it were alive!”
You wrote and that you have achieved...such incredible pen manipulation! And that with a broad edge... how in the world are you able to get such wispy entries with a broad edge, Ive tried over and over with no consistency and then the beautiful touches on the ends of those lines.
I feel fortunate to have gotten your advice Goeff and I’m so sorry for the eye sight wishing the creator made it better for us at the twilight.
I too love gothic batarde, modern italics, and am better by far with italics than batarde. I have not found a good exemplar for Batarde have you any recommendations to learn from?
I have saved your Piece you included such beauty and mastery.... One day maybe but mean while I can use it as inspiration to look at while I practice.
Thanks Goeff
Randy
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2016, 02:09 AM
Lord of the Arts
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

Randy.
One of my online tutorials deal with Batarde.
Geoff
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-14-2016, 03:45 AM
Lord of the Arts
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

And in that tutorial you learn how to use the corner of the nib to create a variety of thin lines and eventually flourishes.
Geoff
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2016, 03:01 AM

On my way Geoff
Will let you know when I get into it a ways thanks.
Randy
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2016, 04:43 AM
Toronto

Hails from Canada

Hi Randy - I just added a thread for Copperplate. I hope the explanation makes sense. Please feel free to ask if anything is unclear.

- Salman

My Blog