WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink > Calligraphy
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-30-2015, 06:12 PM
North East England.

Hails from England
Re: new member

Randy, under Thread Tools you can subscribe to any thread you are currently viewing, this leads to emails whenever a post has been added, keeping you up to date.

Salman, thank you for helping Randy out with this tuition.

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-30-2015, 06:52 PM

Thanks bunches Mum
Appreciate your input since I've joined seems like it gets kind a lonely on this calligraphy thread portion of wet canvas....
I've been dunking around on the new flourish forum you should try it out Mum.
Thanks
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-30-2015, 06:53 PM

Hope I'm not breaking some rules mentioning another forum.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2015, 09:21 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Well, it's OK to mention it but WC might take a dim view if you actually tried to take us there!

On the other hand, we all know there are lots of other arty places in this world and cyberworld!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2015, 03:22 PM
Toronto

Hails from Canada

Randy - great to know your brother in law is better now. I know how shocking it can be to have things like that crop up out of the blue.

Are you more interested in learning Engrosser's script or Copperplate. Both hands have the same (or very similar) letter forms but Engrosser's script is done differently and has some subtleties that Copperplate doesn't have. Copperplate is done with fewer strokes and is not as demanding as Engrosser's script. Both are drawn scripts but Copperplate is closer to handwriting than Engrosser's.

Let me know which one and I will choose the instructional material accordingly.

BTW I am not aware of any Copperplate work by Sheila Waters. There is a well known book by Eleanor Winters though - is that what you use? If so, this is the less formal, Copperplate version.

Maureen - thank you for your help. I hope we can get things going around here again.

- Salman

My Blog
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-02-2015, 09:26 PM

Salman I posted a reply a long time ago.... Ive been inactive for some time as we have had a critical family crises my brother in law has been in the hospital fighting for his life... for over a week.. he just recently woke up been unconscious for all this time....
I donít understand why my post did not go thru.... I like your idea of the other thread, i have put some of my last writing for critique hope Iím not to late in the reply for you
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-02-2015, 09:28 PM

Ive been working on the a and o and b i can see many errors but maybe you can set me straight.
Again thanks Salman sorry my note did not get thru to you....
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2015, 07:02 AM
Lord of the Arts
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

What a thrill to see the forum at work again and with Salman in the "dual-drive" seat. I would love to be in it also but my eyesight failure and my accumulation of birthdays have combined to force me to sit in the back seat of the coach.

U2LD (sorry -- but I have abbreviated it) you seem to be making gallant efforts and probing to find what will satisfy you most and Salman is coming in quickly to assist. He is a very perceptive tutor and he has admirable standards that he upholds himself and sympathetically expects from others.

Good luck to both of you. I shall watch with envious interest.

Geoff
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2015, 11:22 PM
Toronto

Hails from Canada

Thank you for the kind words Geoff. Your encouragement and support will always be needed.

Randy, I can see an improvement in the round letters. I will put up a starting lesson for Copperplate as soon as I can but it will be a few days before I can get to it. In the meantime, since you have started working with o & a, how about the following exercise?

- Practice making a good letter 'o'. It is half as wide as it is tall. The shade (i.e. the thick part) is about 1/5 of the width of the letter. Do groups of 5, stop and analyse your work, pick the best one and try to replicate or improve it in the next group of 5.

- Practice making a good letter 'i'. The shade of the 'i' lasts 2/3rds of the way down. The last 1/3rd of the letter tapers to the right and comes to a point at the baseline. Practice in groups of 5 as described above. The thickness of the shade should be the same as the widest part of the 'o'.

- Now make the letter 'a' by writing an 'o' first followed by an 'i' that just barely touches the right side of the letter 'o'.

Post 5 examples of each letter. I can't think of any words these letter make so bonus marks to you if you know of one :-)

Salman

My Blog
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2015, 12:25 AM

Name:  salman2.jpeg
Views: 98
Size:  128.0 KBHi Salman here is my recent additions of alphebetic sentences....
Hope you havenít given up on me.....
Thanks much
Randy
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2015, 12:30 AM

wow just noticed your response many thanks I did not see this before made this last entry... I will post the O and Is in groups of 5 and a couple of words with them.....
again bless you my friend. I see you answered a post to Geoff I didnít see his entry either he is a hero of mine also, hope all is well with you and him.... Im so thrilled to be in such illustrious company....

Randy
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2015, 09:42 PM

Good heavens I completely missed the message by Geoff. He and you are one of my heroes and Im humbled.... Salman I did not know engrossers was more formal I was under the impression that both were the same. Sorry. Also it is Eleanor Winters book Ive been working out of.... Which form do you think I should do. I love a more elegant hand. When Im better at what Im attempting I want to try the other hands Geoff taught you as well as Cadels, though they are very allusive and hard to find documentation and seem mostly to go with Gothic *******o.
I tried to submit this yesterday but I guess WC crashed it wouldnít let me. I just wanted to say once again thanks for taking time out from your day for me, and to Mr Geoff what a great calligrapher and fine gentalman he is and how unexpected it was to see him peek at my feeble attempts, this has motivated me much more with your guidence and his presence!
Randy
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2015, 12:04 AM

I can understand why a teacher is needed for good hand, just looking at the difference the O as you described jumped out and I can see how it will effect all the oval letters. I donít think Ive got it yet but gave it several pages and now Im spinning Missed on a few and had a couple of nib complexities but fun and I can see what your asking for makes a big difference...
My shading is wonky I think, as my script next to the good ones looks lumpy..
Thanks again Name:  salman3.jpeg
Views: 83
Size:  45.9 KB
Randy
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2015, 01:40 AM

Name:  Salman4.jpeg
Views: 82
Size:  102.0 KBHi Salman heres another.... The first line i was having Nib problems I changed the nib for the 2nd line on. I donít think it helped though.
Thanks
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2015, 01:43 PM
Toronto

Hails from Canada

Randy - the 'o' is much better now but has a tendency to become too round in places. The example in 'coil' in the previous exercise is what I am looking for. Can you match it?

Also, the shade of the 'i' needs to be consistent 2/3rds of the way down. Start to taper it to the right in the last 1/3rd until it comes to a point on the baseline just slightly to the right of where the right side started. The 'i' in 'oil' in the last line is a good example to shoot for.

You can also try some 'd's which is exactly like the 'a' except the 'i' part is double the height.

Salman

My Blog