Home Forums Explore Subjects Art Journals S&B Nova sketch book, grey

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    vhere

A lovely gift of a grey S&B Nova sketch book and 5 tubes of gouache to play with :) so even though it’s a grim, grey, grizzly day here I thought I’d see how I got on with the limited palette and the new book.

A quick sketch of 60’s architecture across a grassy square, twisted winter branches and ivy growing up a tree trunk, glowing crab apples and a blackbird who kindly posed for me.

Loving the underlying grey to unite and add atmosphere.

Not a great painting but it got me thinking about how I’ll use this book. I may keep it for urban sketching as it so lends itself to that. A friend has started a local urban sketchers group, with plans to affiliate it to the international group in time.

It would work well with Paynes grey and white acrylic inks, charcoal, pastel ….all sorts :)

evebart

It looks very rich and lush with those greens and the swirling lines.

hobbyartist87

Lovely experiments, vhere. I remember you didn’t like Strathmore Toned Sketch Journal. How does the paper in S&B Nova sketchbook compare to Strathmore’s toned sketch paper?

Sandra

vhere

Thanks Eve

It’s much more robust Sandra. It’s 150gsm and a tougher surface that will take much more working on it. That’s the same weight as their alpha, which is lovely even though I like the heavier Beta even more.

I’ve been playing a bit with different media in it this morning (when I should be doing a lot of other things!)

Charcoal, gouache and inks work beautifully on it. Pastel pencils are good as long as you don’t want to build lots of layers – you wouldn’t expect to be able to on a paper like this, but it holds well for touches of colour used alongside drawing. Coloured pencils are ok, I’ve only tested with Coloursoft so far but expect the Polychromos (out in my car at the moment, along with my watercoloiurs) to show much more vibrantly. Biro, pencil, tinted charcoal etc are good. The gold ink actually works well but the scanner doesn’t show that.

The grain is finer than Strathmore, the paper much stronger, not disintegrating with too much water or bleeding through to the next page. The binding is strong so it will stand up to being crammed into bags to take out etc. The way that S&B prime the paper leaves a lovely surface to work on.

I always do tester scribbles like this with new paper to see what I can/can’t do with it before discovering in the middle of a sketch that I’ve spent time on!

hobbyartist87

vhere, thank you. Have you taken it our in the field, and if so, how well does the softcover work vs the hardbound?

Sandra

vhere

I’ve only just got it and won’t take it out in the field much until the weather warms a little – it’s VERY cold at the moment. I plan to use it for uban sketching mostly I think.

Because of the soft cover it’s lighter to carry or hold when sketching but the binding is really strong so should be just as good.

Sonia

Looks like this could be an exciting sketchbook, Vivien.

Vivien, oh awesome. I love gouache sketches, and your is beautiful!

JJ
                                Let go of past mistakes and hurts. Forgive and empower yourself. Live the life you were meant to live. And, be at peace with yourself.
                                MY BLOG
                                My Youtube videos

eyepaint

Whooo! So good!!

-- EP Moderator for:
                                    All Media Art Events, Artwork From Life, Art Journals

vhere

thank you all :) I’m looking forward to using it plein air but the temperatures have plummeted and snow is on the way and my arthritis doesn’t like that! soi not until it warms up a little

vhere

and a snowy one with the same limited palette – a grey grey day. the only glowing colour is the few crab apples left on the tree

eyepaint

I enjoy how the white pops on the grey page :)

-- EP Moderator for:
                                                All Media Art Events, Artwork From Life, Art Journals

Joan T

I love these. The color pops so nicely on the grey page!

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Joan T
                                                    [FONT=Book Antiqua]www.watercolorsbyjoan2.blogspot.com

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.