Home Forums Explore Media Clay Can Fimo (polymer clay) be baked in a silicone mold?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Averilla

(just a bit of background info. Skip to last paragraph for just the questions if you prefer!)

I’ve been wanting to make horse bas-reliefs forever now, and finally got to it.

I sculpted two horses, both made of Daz modeling air-dry clay. Kind of tough to work with, but gets the job done. I used EasyMold Silicone Putty to make molds from them.

The two molds turned out wonderfully, so I went ahead and made a copy of one of the horses, using the air-dry clay. Needed some smoothing, and edges cleaned up, but it worked as I had imagined!

A couple years ago, i bought Fimo Professional from amazon. it arrived rather rubbery and not malleable. I had no idea what to do and didn’t touch it till last week. I got it to move and act like clay, so i’ll be making a test sculpture from it.

say, the sculpture turns out nice and now i wanna use the fimo to make more copies. Would I be able to fit the uncured fimo clay into the silicone molds and bake them together? I looked online, and i’m getting mixed answers. The instructions say the silicone can be baked up to 400 f degrees, but doesn’t mention if its safe to use with polymer clays. it does say to use only sulfur free clay as well, is fimo professional sulfur free? can’t find anything about that online and nor can i find it on the package. I’m guessing if it is s-free it should be safe to bake in the mold.

Pine Cone

Averilla, I wish I had a direct answer, but I’ve never tried using molds.

However, there is someone on Etsy who makes and sells lots of polymer clay tutorials. They’re good tutorials, and she might have answers for you. She seems pretty familiar with molds, unlike me.

Here’s a link:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/Beadcomber?section_id=6223100

name — gravity and grace along the path

nickname — intuitive balance of forces[/color]

BugFolk

It depends on the silicone. Some can bake along with the polymer clay, others will weaken.

You can ask the seller of the molds to see what their experience is/ and what type of silicone they’ve used to cast.I’m guessing what is used in the shop (linked in the post before mine) is a 2 part platinum cure type silicone putty. I’ve made molds with the yellow stuff and possibly the purple stuff (if it is the same) and I’ve had decent luck baking clay in them.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.