Home Forums Explore Media Sculpture Advice meeded on fire clay

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Penguinbob

I want to fire clay sculptures and then prime them for painting. Any suggestions on types of clay would be helpful. I think it makes sense to use a stones are clay that fires to cone 6-10 and then only firing to cone 04-06. Any advice will be helpful!

Hi Penguinbob,

There are a lot of different types of clay out there and it’s really your own preference as to what type you use. Firing a medium to high fire clays like you mentioned (Clay that fires to maturity at Cone 6-10) to a lower temperature (Cone 04 to 06) will mean that the clay stays porous. When you paint it, the paint will stick and not chip off.

Are you going to glaze it with a firable paint or use non-firing paint?

Do you want a clay that has grit to it, some texture? Then you want more grog in the clay. If you use a clay that fires to a white color, then a semi-translucent glaze will show up brighter. So the color of clay effects how the paint up looks. Unless you use an opaque paint that covers over everything.

Enjoy!

[FONT=Arial Narrow]~Sculpturedolls
        [FONT=Arial Narrow][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, fill your life with love,scatter sunshine, forget self, think of others. -Norman Vincent Peale

[FONT=Georgia]My website My Blog Join me on Facebook

Penguinbob

My plan is to prime the fired clay with gesso as a surface for oil painting. So a porous surface is a good thing for adhesion. I am thinking that a finer grog would make it stronger. Is that true?
            I will probably experiment with different types, but this helps.
            Thanks!

I’ve oil painted on porcelain fired to cone 8 and it adhered well. I am sure what you plan to do will work great. The grog in the clay helps reduce shrinkage of the clay and release vapor/gases during firing. I’ve never heard of fine grog making a clay body stronger. Firing a clay sculpture at a lower heat than maturity will lessen it’s strength. The longer it is fired, the more vitreous it will be and strong as well.

Look forward to seeing your project!:thumbsup:

[FONT=Arial Narrow]~Sculpturedolls
            [FONT=Arial Narrow][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, fill your life with love,scatter sunshine, forget self, think of others. -Norman Vincent Peale

[FONT=Georgia]My website My Blog Join me on Facebook

Penguinbob

Once I get things going, I will post photos.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.