Home Forums Explore Subjects Portraiture What do you think of the Obamas’ portraits?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    PaintBoss

Mr. Obama is by artist Kehinde Wiley and Mrs. Obama was done by artist Amy Sherald.
        https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/12/arts/design/obama-portrait.html

I think Michelle’s arms and fingers are too long. But I like the portrait up close better than watching them unveil it at a distance. It looks more like her now that I see it like this. Still not sure of proportions though (head). Like the dress and how it was used almost geometrically. Negative space. Still think the painting and subject could have had more “punch”. Not much personality or hint of it here. More like an enigma. Dulled strength. But maybe First Ladies are not suppose to compete/ show a lot of individuality as it is really about the president. Unsure. But to me a portrait should hint at a personality or something. Otherwise it is like a fashion shoot, I have to agree with the author of the article below.
        I think the President’s portrait does have punch and will stand out with no problem. :) Even if he is almost overwhelmed by greenery competing for attention. It feels more daring and I am familiar with that artist so I knew it would be busy with intense detail. I think it is gorgeous though. Likeness is fabulous and the glowing. Beautiful! Like the symbolism of the plants too. Although he looks like he is floating a bit in leaves. In the future people may wonder about that. A nod to the environment maybe? I don’t think the artist meant that, but those plants are about to swallow him!:cat:
        Love that they chose black artists as well.

I don’t mean for this to turn into a political thread. Simply about portraiture and representing a subject, and especially important historical figures for the future. I like to see how artists choose to handle it.
        What are your thoughts?

~Christine
        🇨🇦

Rastermon

I don’t really see Michelle in her portrait. I like the flat style of her dress – the patterns are nice, but I don’t get volume from her.
            I think Barack’s has both volume and flatness, and does look like him.

Comments and criticism always welcome!

123harry

In short the Barack portrait is pretty good and the Michelle one isn’t.
                The greenery sets of the figure and colour of the ex president very well. It portrays a real person instantly recognisable as Obama.
                The strange palette in the Michelle portrait does not work. The geometrical idea of the composition is fine but it is just not the lady in question.

C&C always welcome.
                Instagram harry.hamill

Wassie

I don’t like either of them. Barack’s looks a little more like him than Michelle’s does her. Barack’s looks contrived with all that greenery. I’m not sure he’s grounded in that greenery, looks almost like he could be floating. Michelle’s dress is nice but the face does not look like her. Also, her skin color looks dead to me. It would have looked better if her complexion had more color like Barack’s. When I first saw them, my thought was that I could have done better and I never, never say that about any of my art compared to another artist’s work.

Again, stay out of politics is a good police, and let’s critique the art work.
                    Both of the subjects were aware of the artist’s style or technique, I am sure. So there is a reason why they chose those artists.
                    For instance, the painter who painted the former president is well known for painting greenery and flowers around the sitters. And the other artist is also known for painting subjects on a grayed mood and no vibrant colors or strong values. They look like advertising paintings in a way.
                    I am glad that someone brought this subject to WC since we can learn the technique of other artists.
                    Personally, I don’t like why the former president is competing with the leaves around him, and why is he floating? I am sure if we would have done something like this we would have been criticized at WC! The former first lady does not look like her and she looks flat. If I am very picky, her eyes do not match her gaze. The reason of the long arms, is a custom which dates the time of John Sargent, who was the master in stylizing women portraying them with long arm and long necks.

Deplorable. Another glaring example American culture and its never-ending assault on beauty and truth. What a cruel joke, “modern art.”

www.davidsmithart.com

Katie Black

I think Baracks portrait is not great, they haven’t quite captured him, and all that awful greenery just takes away from the actual portrait..ridiculous, not clever, what were they thinking.

His wife’s portrait isn’t great either. It does not look like her at all and her arms and fingers are too long in my opinion.

The nicest thing about the portrait is the dress.

Katie Black Fine Art

"Life is far too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde

~JMW~

They chose the artists , so must have known about their style…
                            Not styles what I would want for my portrait..

~Joy~

maryinasia

I really enjoy that these portraits aren’t boring! so many “presidental portraits” all look the same…in a library or similar setting…like badly posed Olan Mills portraits.

Retiree

I don’t like them. I cannot critique as an artist as I do not do portraits. Just per gut feeling, yuck to both.

Skyenorth

At first glance I couldn’t see the likeness of Michelle but I think that is because the artist has painted her as a very young woman. It is lacking the strong character she has and the years now she is older which does add to a portrait. I think the artist has captured Barrack very well, not sure about the greenery but it is not too bad and shows his love for the natural world.

[URL=http://www.simmillarts.co.uk
                                        http://simmill-arts.blogspot.com/
                                        Success is never found. Failure never fatal. Courage is the only thing.
                                        Winston Churchill.

budigart

Trash

Barack has a clear, yet cannot know if intentional or not, scale skew the closer you get to the finger tips. The further always from the finger tips the smaller the scale becomes, as if the image was made with a curved lens focused on his hands…. the feeling is weird because of that. Barack made a joke about asking for smaller ears, well in fact he got it.. compared to his hands his ears are depicted as smaller than most humans’s

"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"

Olaf

Deplorable. Another glaring example American culture and its never-ending assault on beauty and truth. What a cruel joke, “modern art.”

BINGO . . . :clap:

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]"God is dead." —Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." —God

maryinasia

I really like these portraits.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.