Home Forums Explore Subjects Artwork from Life Scavenger Hunt #544 – June 2-10

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Joan T

Scavenger Hunt #544 – June 2-10

Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts!

If you’ve done at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one, we’d really appreciate it! You can sign up by posting your name and the current hosting list stickie on Artwork from Life forum: https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show…6#post21360136

Rules for Hunting:
        * All items on the list must be sketched from life–not imagination nor photo references
        * Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed to by unanimous vote among the participants
        * You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count those objects as separate list items, but no single object can count for more than one list item.
        * All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you sketch and post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.

Do as many or as few items as you like; you don’t have to finish the entire list to participate! You don’t have to comment on every post, but comment, if and when you can.

Scavenger Hunts last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.

Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you to do each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are also welcome!

Scavenger Hunt #544 – June 2-10
        an animal
        a landscape
        water
        soothing
        energizing
        an art supply
        flower
        tree
        outdoor seating
        indoor seating
        pink
        purple
        black
        white
        view inside a cabinet
        view inside a closet
        sweet
        spicy
        a favorite item
        recent purchase
        footware
        bigger than you
        smaller than your hand
        closed
        open
        in pieces

Challenge –
        1)Use 3 or more items in a still life.
        2) Do a blind contour of 2 or more items.

Have fun!!!

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Joan T
        [FONT=Book Antiqua]www.watercolorsbyjoan2.blogspot.com

Eye

Thanks Joan for the list.

Ai

Painting is my soul. My blog.
            https://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/01-Feb-2009/4926-ai_signature_Feb09.gif

Joan, thank you for the list. Off to go hunting!

My blog https://jocastilloartblog.blogspot.com/
            My website https://jocastilloart.com

moscatel

Joan, excellent selection :crossfingers: ….. now sharpening charcoals.

eyepaint

Thanks for the new list!

-- EP Moderator for:
                    All Media Art Events, Artwork From Life, Art Journals

Joan T

These were done on the way to and in the city today where I met up with the NYC Urban Sketchers. I’m participating in the #30x30DirectWatercolor2018 Challenge, so the one of the man and the one of the park with the red umbrellas were done directly with watercolor…no pencil lines first.

1 – black hat – watercolors
                        2 – white beard
                        3 – outdoor seating – watercolors
                        4 – water (Lincoln Center fountain)
                        5 – tree – watercolors
                        6 – bigger than me (skyscrapers)

Eye

Joan: Wonderful Plein air today…Love them all, people, and those scenes with canopies

I quickly did a few direct watercolor sketches/paintings at the resort where my workplace had a seminar retreat.
                            #1 animal …. what should it be ???

#2 favorite item … a clown… I love his colors and his interactions with the kids and parents.

Bye … heading back to Bangkok now in 5 hours…

Happy sketching.

Ai

https://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/01-Feb-2009/4926-ai_signature_Feb09.gif

moscatel

Joan, love your watercolors. They are interesting to watch and I like composition in them. People are nice add.
                                Ai, love those! Very exotic scenes and interesting, the 1st one – statue – is super interesting. Well done! We x-posted so I edited this comment here.

I start with #1 – an animal, a hand size drawing, charcoal (Nitram) on average sketching paper, drawing time: 1 hour. My animal model is a plastic toy cheetah.

Joan T

Ai – Thanks so much. I’m enjoying your direct watercolors. Nice painting of the animal statue…good darks. Cute clown! I guess he was busy making balloon sculptures.

Moscatel – Thanks. Nice shading on the coat of the cheetah. I need to get some toy animals. I’m always searching for animals since I don’t have any here.

Joan, your urban sketches are the best. I like the Columbus street scene. Or the water fountain or the city ….. or….

Ai, interesting animal for sure. I’m not a fan of clowns in general, but yours looks happy and the kids seem to like it. :) Well done.

Moscatel, the cheetah looks real with your gesture and vantage point. Nice!

I sketched for a few minutes in between games. It was 100 degrees F. Luckily our seats are in the shade and between games I had a frozen lemonade and sat in the new parking garage on a folding camp chair with a nice breeze. I had about 45 minutes to relax, check on the phone messages, etc. Gene didn’t go so I was with Joanna at the first game and friend, Ellie, for the second.

Number 1, outside seating – across the street from the garage. Tailgaters having fun.

My blog https://jocastilloartblog.blogspot.com/
                                    My website https://jocastilloart.com

Joan T

Jo, thank you. Tailgating looks like a fun way to watch the games…I’ve never done it. Nice sketch! 100 degrees already? We were in the high 80s yesterday and very humid, but today it is only in the high 60s with clouds and a strong breeze…feels like fall. lol

Today for my direct watercolor painting for the challenge I gathered together a few of the new flowers I bought for my patio flower boxes.
                                        7 – recent purchase – watercolors

Eye

Joan: Thanks … and Wow… on those flowers beautifully done with direct watercolors

Jo: Thanks…your sketch makes me want to have Texas BBQ or Steak !!!

Ai

jmfletch

Running behind. Having some issues with computer that are taking all my time.

Hopefully be back soon to comment and post.

Keep sketching
                                                Joe.

“The act of art can be so relaxing after you get over yourself.” - Quoting Robin

Hello art buddies!!

Joan – thanks for hosting and for the list. Great outdoor sketches…..especially the one with the fountain/pond. Cute BBQ sketch. lively flowers.

Hi Jo & EP

Joe – best wishes with your computer adventure…..

Ai – that animal tower looks tricky….you are doing well with it. Love expression on the child’s face and the clown’s smile….thanks for the photo….he looks like he is really enjoying to give happiness . Yes, I second Joan – your “direct watercolors” are inspiring and pleasing.

Moscatel – beautiful sketch……great proportion and musculature!!

Robin
                                                The mediator between head and hands must
                                                be the heart. Harbou - Metropolis
                                                http://virtualparsnip.blogspot.com/

moscatel

Joan, thanks for your kind words. Yes, it’s good to have toy animals because it’s not always possible to sketch them outside. I like a lot your recent purchase painting. Excellent work!

Jo, thanks. I like your sketch outside seating. Sounds wonderful that you had lovely 45 min to sketch. Those moments are the best!

Ai, love those! Very exotic scenes and interesting, the 1st one – statue – is super interesting. The animal’s nose looks to me like lion’s nose so maybe it’s an ancient lion? I saw this kind of statues in Boboli garden in Florence and you can find some animal parts in them but they really don’t look like any real present animals but they are calling for you to paint them!

Azul, thanks!

Joe, :crossfingers:

Hope I don’t post same time with someone and miss commenting them this time. ;)
                                                    Couple more from me:

#2 – white. Miniature size, charcoal on average quality sketching paper, 15 min

#3 – bigger than you. I did this life sketch in the garden yesterday on Sunday because my model agreed to pose. Charcoal on oil painting paper (olio Tela Fabiano 300 gm2 140 lbs). I will continue over this drawing with oil paints so in the end it will be oil sketch. The idea is to have this figure under the tree leaves and have sun and shadow areas on figure. 30×40 cm. 40 min.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.