WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > Oil Painting - Hall of Fame
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#76   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2018, 09:25 AM
Lord of the Arts
Sevilla

Hails from Spain
Re: Oil-from-life challenge, July 2018: optional "figure-in-landscape" theme

Annie, thanks! Do you have plans to exhibit this autumn?
Grotius, thanks! I've been reading about your exhibition plans with great interest. The place sounds wonderful to have a show and your right about the frames, you can sell later the rest.
I've a dream to have a little show in Spain before X-mas of the plein airs that I'll be painting during our trip through Europe but I'm not sure I can find the place for it. It's a coastal town with bars, shops, town hall etc. It's more quiet in the fall than during the summer and I don't know how the sales are over there but would be an experience to have a show abroad. Besides I don't have anything else to do there either other than paint so would have time to hang paintings on wall. Remains to be seen if I find a place for it.
  #77   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2018, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member

Grotius, all i hear is people happily crossing off items on their Christmas shopping lists! fingers crossed for bulk finds (...without glass?).

moscatel, did you manage another nocturne? while mine was an artesan day it was spent baking brioche, cake.. had a rare opportunity to celebrate a b-day bebe visiting this wilderness. we did look for the moon at the right time, but the woods hide most of the horizon. no luck.

your untitled is inspired. the water is so translucent, and the way you've created the waterline is beautiful. perfect color choices and values, ease of brush, just enough to tell light, shadow and form. your plans for an exhibition sound exiting! that would be a positive and effective way to establish your presence in a community you plan to visit regularly or move to.

Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist. - Picasso

Last edited by ronsu18 : 07-28-2018 at 10:54 AM.
  #78   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2018, 11:59 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA
How did you do your website?

Annie, thanks for looking at my website! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Yep, it includes many pictures I've posted here. I also update the blog section of my site every two or three days, and often that's stuff I don't post here -- sketches, watercolors, gesture drawings, etc.

Anyway, I made my website with Squarespace, one of the drag-and-drop website tools. I pay them about $16 a month for hosting etc. I got my domain names from Google Domains. So far I've been very happy with Squarespace. They have lots of nice templates, and the UI is generally quite easy to use, with lots of help videos available online. It seems to do well with search engine optimization; people tell me my site pops up in the first few hits when they search for relevant terms. Squarespace may not be the most robust blogging platform, but I decided to include my blog with my website, and so far I don't regret that decision.

One question I have about my site is whether and when to include pricing. My instructor does not include prices at all on his site, but he charges high prices and gets much of his income from commissioned portraits. On the other hand, I'm reading Caroll Michels' "How to Survive and Prosper as an Artist" (recommended by James Gurney), and she (he?) recommends including a price list on its own page, but not putting prices right under the images themselves; the author thinks that's too distracting. I've been procrastinating about this because I figured I should focus on selling stuff at my show first, then use my website (and other venues) to sell remaining inventory after the show.

Anyway, I'm curious what you think about including prices on websites.
  #79   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2018, 05:54 PM
Lord of the Arts
Sevilla

Hails from Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsu18
did you manage another nocturne? while mine was an artesan day it was spent baking brioche, cake.. had a rare opportunity to celebrate a b-day bebe visiting this wilderness. we did look for the moon at the right time, but the woods hide most of the horizon. no luck.
Ronsu, thanks for commenting. I painted a view with one famous house in it while waiting for the moon to appear. It's quite complex artist house so I was measuring a lot! lol But I did add the moon to that painting even though it really wasn't in that direction at all. Finally we saw and took photos of the moon during about half an hour or so. We were able to see it well. I didn't have anymore energy to paint it after the famous house painting, which is quite big canvas for plein air anyway. It was quite dark also at that time of the night and bugs biting like never before.

Grotius, I don't have much experience about pricing.
  #80   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2018, 07:55 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Ronsu, brioche, yum.

mosc, I have no exhibit plans nailed down at all at this point. I seem to be too bogged down with various personal things... Oh, an exhibit in Spain sounds so exciting! I hope you can swing it and please keep us posted!

Greg, thanks for the website info - I've heard good things about Squarespace. You're way ahead of me regarding prices; I'm still trying to figure out what to charge! I have no idea how best to indicate prices on a website. Off the top of my head, having a price list on a separate page seems like a good idea. OTOH, I see many artists whom I admire who indicate prices right under the image of the work. There doesn't seem to be any right or wrong way that I can see. Maybe while you're deciding you could put (on each page?) something like "Contact the artist for pricing."

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

#81   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-31-2018, 04:37 AM
Lord of the Arts
Sevilla

Hails from Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA
Maybe while you're deciding you could put (on each page?) something like "Contact the artist for pricing."
Annie, Grotius, anybody else who has opinion/thoughts about this. How do you deal with the following: you write down "contact artist .." , people write/call to you, you tell them the price, answer is: oh. how expensive!! After that no word back fom them.

Yet, you have (talking about me here) have lowed pricing 70 % of the average price range in the area. You are already selling with minus profit, you don't even get the materials' costs back. This has made me mad after the exhibitions last year. How do you deal with a thing like that?? What are you supposed to answer to clients like that? What would be a proper answer? Giving them info like "for lower price you need to go to hobby hall"? Any ideas? For this reason, I advice Grotius to put the prices well visible, just to avoid the above happening.
  #82   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-31-2018, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member

re: pricing
way, way too many variables!
maybe toss this one in the main forum so more people can react with stories from life?

from a no-show no-site pov; before being a name, prices up front, after canvas size, same typeface &typesize. dry, matter of fact. two categories 'paintings' and 'studies', differences allow you to charge more for 'paintings'. studies have the simplest frames in show.
reading "contact artist for information" means i can't afford it. it means the work is meter by meter and a half and bidding starts at 1000$ and usually ends at twice that or more. there's often the name of the famous art school or some kind of "familiar quality connect" to be found when reading the presentation.

that's not from extensive experience but it is from real happenstances.

#83   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2018, 02:08 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for all your comments on websites, pricing, etc. I agree that "contact artist for pricing" tends to scare people off. That's what I say now on my website, and the reaction is generally, "If I have to ask, I can't afford it." My instructor includes no prices at all on his website, but he's already got an established portrait-commission business. Anyway, I figure I can procrastinate on this until after my show; for now, I don't want to undercut or compete with what I'll be exhibiting.

Off to make the August thread now!
  #84   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2018, 06:00 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Well I guess I learned something new. Nevermind, then. And I'll know myself not to put "contact artist for pricing," once I get to that point.

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

#85   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-02-2018, 03:15 AM
Veteran Member

the question really has no simple answer that would help in every situation.
if it had one answer, i'm guessing we would all probably know it already.

#86   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-02-2018, 03:36 AM
Lord of the Arts
Sevilla

Hails from Spain

Wise words, Ronsu!