WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > Oil Painting - Hall of Fame
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2018, 11:51 PM
San Joaquin Valley, Ca.

Hails from United States
Re: Welcome to What's On Your Easel......July 2018

I just started a small one, from a photo by artist Alan Kingwell of Cornwall. He graciously allowed me to use some of his photos. Wonderful scenery there!

#47   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2018, 11:55 PM
San Joaquin Valley, Ca.

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelshane
One more update....

This is wonderful....
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2018, 11:58 PM
San Joaquin Valley, Ca.

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpalms
I love the palette you chose Michael, it is very warm and soothing, just like the scene.

I worked on the cabin yesterday, had an hour this morning, so started filling in the foliage around it.

I really like the sky your painting....
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2018, 03:30 AM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Michael, I didn't think you needed any more, but that last update really made the piece even better. Very nice!

Marcia, I really like the piece you're working on now. There's something about it that seems a little spooky. I guess it's the abandoned look of the place, but the realism seems a little surreal too. Maybe the Joshua trees are actually aliens. I mean this all in a very good way. Nice job.

BDancer, oh, my apologies. Such a similar subject in the two paintings confused me I guess. I thought the second was just a close up of the first. I should have looked more closely. So, let me try again: they're both terrific! And it looks like the one you're working on now is going to be interesting too, with the shade vs sun contrast.

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

#50   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2018, 06:02 AM
Dublin, Ireland

Hails from Ireland

I managed to make a cartoon like painting... not AT ALL what I intended.... All down to colour saturation I'm sure but maybe there's something more.
The foreground will become sand, not stay so brown, and the "yellow" water is because I'm trying to move that little stream to a more curvy-like fall.
I'm really unhappy about it. Any suggestion please?
Thanks
J.
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2018, 11:33 AM
A WC! Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDancer
I really like the sky your painting....

Thank you BDancer, I was really trying to add a little extra drama to the scene. The day I took the reference photo was brigh and completely cloudless.
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2018, 01:54 AM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Still trying to work out the tricky light on an unfinished tiny color study, SIFF at twilight, 6x8. I tried posting it but the color once again was off - so badly that I deleted the image I had uploaded. I'll try again once it's done. (I went ahead and wrote something because I was too late to delete the whole post!)

Jollyttt - I think you're off to a terrific start with a very nice job on the water especially. I like the transparent look where more light shines through it. It looks like the rocks just need a little work. I don't know how to advise as I don't usually paint rocks. Maybe if the little stream distracts you should just remove it. Put it aside for a while and when you look again, I bet you'll like it.

― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 08-01-2018 at 02:03 AM.
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2018, 08:58 AM
Rhode Island

Always liked this W Homer. A little more to do.Name:  image_20180731_205230_1533084775559.jpeg
Views: 76
Size:  24.5 KB
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2018, 11:12 AM
A WC! Legend

That's a great copy, Pete, especially the colors. Without looking at Homer's version for comparison, I would say the color palette is different, but yours looks very accurate and realistic, if that makes sense.

Annie, looking forward to seeing the image whenyou post it!
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2018, 04:35 PM
Dublin, Ireland

Hails from Ireland

Thank you so much AnnieA for your suggestion! Yes, I think it makes perfect sense, I will try and remove the water and see how does that look like.
Will need also to add some splashes from behind those rocks too I guess, hopefully they won't distract from the wave. There is something wrong with that thing though:
if the wave is breaking to the very right, apparently against the rocks, why is it rolling down nicely to the near right? it does not make sense....
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2018, 04:36 PM
Dublin, Ireland

Hails from Ireland

this is me trying to copy off some dude who posted his painting on the net, I should know wayyyy better
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2018, 06:10 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jollyttt
Thank you so much AnnieA for your suggestion! Yes, I think it makes perfect sense, I will try and remove the water and see how does that look like.
Will need also to add some splashes from behind those rocks too I guess, hopefully they won't distract from the wave. There is something wrong with that thing though:
if the wave is breaking to the very right, apparently against the rocks, why is it rolling down nicely to the near right? it does not make sense....
It appears to me that the rocks on the right are further away than the ones in the left lower corner. So, it could be a different set of waves, maybe, with the earlier set just finishing on the left? Since the viewer doesn't know the scale of either clump of rocks in relation to the other, it may not matter, although I suppose you could make the facets of the near rocks larger to indicate they're closer, or the far ones smaller. Anyway, I'm not sure anyone is going to be that observant, but then I'm not a seascape painter so I may not be as alert to these things.

But this all is just off the top of my head. Maybe someone else will weigh in? But even if not, you've done some nice things here. And anyway, each painting is a learning experience, even when the lesson's from some dude on the net...

― Sir Thomas Browne