WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#211   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2018, 04:05 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States
Re: As the Oily Rag Burns..... July 2018

Becca and Nancy, we have quite a number of excellent organizations helping the homeless where I am too. The problem lately has been that the powers that be have gotten fixated on "measurable outcomes." Since the most important measurable outcome for someone experiencing homelessness is (obviously) not being homeless anymore, there has been a tendency to want to remove funding from agencies that don't have a strong record of moving people from homelessness into housing. In essence, if clients aren't finding housing the assumption is that the agency isn't working hard enough or the clients aren't. But how are the agencies supposed to move people into permanent housing when there is no affordable housing??? (There actually is some affordable housing, but most wait lists are so long that it isn't readily accessible, not to mention that often even the affordable properties have rental criteria that exclude those who don't have a recent rental history.

Another wrinkle though is that some agencies are only offering charity (food, overnight shelter, etc.). It's very necessary - many on the streets would not survive without it - but if that's the only approach, then homeless people aren't going to get into housing. If an insufficient amount of money is being directed to solving the problem of homelessness, then it becomes a competition between agencies providing basic services and those wanting to build permanent housing - a losing deal all around. As valuable as it is, charity is really just a bandaid, when it's structural social change that's needed. But you can't defund charitiable organizations while waiting for projects with long construction times to be completed, b/c what exactly are people experiencing homelessness going to do until then? Starve? Freeze?

Michael, I think that fear is at the root of a lot of the hostility that some feel toward homeless people. It's good you don't project onto others.

:Aarrgghh! Cannot get off bandwagon: Sorry!

Marcia, it didn't sound like a rant - just a description of your experience related to the topic. I'm glad you're happier now. Skeezix is a cutie.

Mosc, Muffin is a cutie too. I took Pearl out on her harness to hunt bugs for somewhere between 30 and 45 minutes last night. She really loves it. I think I'm creating a monster though, because after the long time outside, shortly after we came in she started begging to go out again, and kept it up for 20 minutes or so. I asked before about the harness you use for Muffin but I think you missed it. Is a more substantial harness that's more like a vest a better thing (that's how the one on Muffin seems to be in some of the photos you post). I wonder if the one I'm using may be too light. Also, do you worry about bugs getting into her coat? I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing by taking Pearl on outdoor walks.

I was feeling so disappointed about my Plein Air class being cancelled, but today it's going to be in the 90s again, and here inside - where I'm staying in air conditioned splendor until it's safe to come out again - I'm feeling much better about the cancellation.

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 07-30-2018 at 04:24 PM.
  #212   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2018, 04:45 PM
Lord of the Arts
Sevilla

Hails from Spain

Annie, they say that cats are excellent cleaning bugs away from their fur. They take them away by themselves. I was at first very worried but I can find bugs only from her fur if we go near coast to the cliffs. I don't find them after walks in normal parks, streets and forests, but bug situation can be different where you and Pearl are. You guys are so far away from me & Muffin. Also I search her fur in the areas where she can't reach like back of her neck and some other parts. We also have a tool to take bugs away but haven't needed it this summer since we didn't go to the cliffs by the sea.
I've missed your earlier question about harness - I wasn't reading oily rag at one period - I have made a series of photos showing the harness and how we attached the 20 feet long leash to it. One Bengal owner was asking about the harness also so I sent her photos of it. I look them up tomorrow and later post it to you directly or here in Oily Rag.
Quote:
She really loves it. I think I'm creating a monster though, because after the long time outside, shortly after we came in she started begging to go out again,
Yes, they love going out.

Marcia, thanks. Hope you can paint tomorrow and plumbing work is done by then. I was working on a still life today, need to do glazing now and then after a half a year again. Goes slow.

Last edited by moscatel : 07-30-2018 at 04:48 PM.
  #213   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2018, 06:08 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Skeezix looks like he rules the world in that shot, Marcia - it would make a great painting reference!

And Muffin looks adorable, too, Mosc. We all know he's the one in charge in your part of the world.

I nearly burned up the kitchen today because of a paper box that was too close to my boiling egg; I've just now got the kitchen cleaned up - and the front door closed again. I'm just lucky that I caught it in time, and that it's only 80 outside today!

Here's today's cryptoquote:

"There are three things you can do in a baseball game. You can win, or you can lose. Or it can rain." --Casey Stengel

#214   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2018, 09:41 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Nancy, I'm glad you didn't burn down your kitchen...or your house...sounds like a close call!!! glad it all worked out in the end...

Mosc...cute pic.
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #215   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2018, 09:56 PM
A WC! Legend

Nancy, glad you are all right!

I found an old cat harness* in the old studio when I was looking for something else the other day, and I may try training Marvel to it. Mia was too old when I got her, and Skeezix, is, well, Skeezix. Marvel is pretty fearless, and never seems to be bothered much how ever she is handled. It might be fun to have a cat that I can take on adventures, if she is willing when she is more mature. But I have to harness train her while she is young.

*it is old in as much as I bought it about 4 cats ago, and it didn't work out, so I stuck it in a drawer. It is practically new, having never been used.

Ought to be able to paint tomorrow. It rained here while I was out running errands, and made it even more humid. The house is like a swamp. Thankfully I have some of that splendiferous air condiitoning in the studio/liberry, so as soon as I was done putting away groceires I scooped up Mia and invaded Marvel's 'space'. She doesn't seem to mind. much.
  #216   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2018, 11:34 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpalms
Awwww, cute little Muffin! No painting accomplished, We decided to finish a plumbing project. Only required 1 extra trip to the hardware store, too.

I go to Home Depot almost every day.I have been repairing the damage to my basement walls from flooding a year ago.Im almost finished.

The wainscoting is what I'm doing also had to put up nine new doors and door frames.This was a bedroom I converted to a painting studio.
  #217   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-31-2018, 12:21 AM
A WC! Legend

It looks great Michael. What is the C clamp for? 9 doors? That is a lot of damage. Hope you have nearly gotten it all fixed.
  #218   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-31-2018, 09:48 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
New Mexico

Hails from United States

The clamp holds a block of wood that’s keeps the small easel from pushing back.I have a couple of floor easels too.The desk is a 1940s drafting table.
  #219   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-31-2018, 12:04 PM
A WC! Legend

It's a great table. How many square feet is the room? Do you have space to use the floor easels? I would imagine the light is good from the basement window - always diffused.
  #220   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-31-2018, 01:50 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Marcia, mosc has said that Muffin is mostly fearless because she started early with her, so starting now with Marvel sounds like a good plan. I don't know what your harness is like, but the one I'm using for Pearl is very, very light. It's made of that nylon flat woven ropey stuff, but it's very thing - only 3/8" wide or so. I'm thinking it might be wise to start Marvel out with something extremely light like Pearls harness until Marvel becomes accustomed to having one on. Be forewarned: at first, what she probably will do is collapse on the floor every time you put it on. It takes a lot of patience. I've trained Pearl to respond very well to "Good Girl!" which I tell her all the time I'm putting the harness on and that seems to help, as does the lure of moths and other bugs at night. Best wishes on getting a chance to paint. It's going to cool off here tomorrow, but will be overcast. I may try to get out anyway, but there still are paperwork issues hanging over my head.

Michael, that must feel wonderful to have the repairs almost done, and what a terrific space to paint in. Lucky you! It looks great and I especially like the table.

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 07-31-2018 at 01:52 PM.
  #221   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-31-2018, 03:09 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Michael...looks great....love the desk, when I read the desk was an old drafting table I expected to see metal....the wood is very rich...
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #222   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-31-2018, 06:20 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Michael, what a smart accomplishment! I think we would all love painting in a place like that. Nine doors? I think that idea is great, because doors are so much more lasting, and their color is superb compared to plain boards.

Marcia, I'm planning on painting tomorrow, too. Since Himself put dibs on the one I wanted to take to the gallery, I have a few ready to hang for August.

I'm starting on recreating it all over again so I have a month to work on it... We'll be hanging our paintings Thursday, so I'll have a whole month to paint the new one, and any others I want to paint.

Today's cryptoquote:

"What is it that disappears when you make a u-turn? A parking space." --Source Unknown

#223   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2018, 11:21 AM
A WC! Legend

Good Morning Oilycats!!!

No hike today, a lot of the group is on vacation, and it is just too sultry here and thunderstorms are forecast in the mountians. Besides, I need to stop putting off painting. I think maybe the huge canvas is kind of intimidating me. Once I start, I am okay.

My source for fresh local eggs has dried up, Roy decided that checkens and goats take too much time, and he doesn't have time for making guitars. Being a farmer's daughter, I know how much work even a little livestock takes. They don't stop eating, laying, and other things, to fit our schedules! I just heard chickens cackling not far away, I wonder if they can spare some eggs?

I was enjoying Roy's goat kefir too. That is going to be a little more difficult to find.
  #224   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2018, 05:32 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

There is a new Oily in the Main forum
Becca's Fine Art my blog