WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2018, 12:40 PM

Hails from United States
Re: Why do you paint?

At first, it was mostly because I promised someone I would paint them something larger than I could pull off in any reasonable amount of time, with no painting experience. I was forced by personal conviction to keep painting right through my clueless beginner period, (as much as I often didn't want to,) and luckily managed to find my way into the amazing world of color that opens up with a bit of practical knowledge before burning out- Since joining this forum and seeing how vibrant complementary colors can make something as simple as gray look, and how much life some warm and cool colors can add to a piece, it's quite addicting. Now I always need to know just how much more it will pop with that oneeee last hue shift.. Can't get enough of those mesmerizing colors
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2018, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member
Calabasas, CA

Hails from United States

Since my auto accident of 50 years ago, I have been fighting injuries that leave me depressed and physically incapable of leading a normal life. Painting gives me an escape into a place better than life.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2018, 01:57 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffless
We sound so similar. How do you navigate the disatisfaction Delo. Im always open to new ideas

My approach to handling dissatisfaction is to give myself things that build confidence, easy stuff, like draw a rock, those are easy and difficult to fail at. Build on each of these little successes and work my way up to harder things, generally only have to go back to these steps on really bad days. I was struggling the other day on a portrait of a dog, so I went back and did a drawing of a tree instead, the abstract analysis of spatial relationships in the branches helped me see spatial relationships better and when I went back to the dog portrait it was an easy fix. Generally my issues with dissatisfaction come from struggling with something without being able to pintpoint what it is, so I use this somewhat arbitrary method to solve seemingly unrelated problems.

Delofasht

Last edited by Delofasht : 07-12-2018 at 02:47 PM.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2018, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delofasht
My approach to handling dissatisfaction is to give myself things that build confidence, easy stuff, like draw a rock, those are easy and difficult to fail at. Build on each of these little successes and work my way up to harder things, generally only have to go back to these steps on really bad days. I was struggling the other day on a portrait of a dog, so I went back and did a drawing of a tree instead, the abstract analysis of spatial relationships in the branches helped me see spatial relationships better and when I went back to the dog portrait it was an easy fix. Generally my issues with dissatisfaction come from struggling with something without being able to pintpoint what it is,so I use this somewhat arbitrary method to solve seemingly unrelated problems.

Great idea. I often break things down like this. Confidence restored is a good way to keep the motivation going👍
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2018, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member
Calabasas, CA

Hails from United States

I can relate, to all of these posts. I struggle with car injuries and the subsequent depression, painting takes me away to another place where I can enjoy my last remaining brain cell, ha har, no, really.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2018, 07:57 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptrkgmc
I can relate, to all of these posts. I struggle with car injuries and the subsequent depression, painting takes me away to another place where I can enjoy my last remaining brain cell, ha har, no, really.
Physical injuries can make life really difficult for sure. I'm glad you found art to help you deal with that. I enjoy seeing your imaginative pieces, you're bringing joy into the world.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2018, 08:00 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delofasht
Well, that is definitely true Derek, much harder to sell drawings I have found, people like color generally.

Phranque, I understand that mask of cheerfulness all too well, spent years building a nearly perfect one myself (only my wife really sees through my guise).
Those closest to us usually do. And we let them see our true selves a little more, too. I also find that sometimes smiling works it's way in, too. I hope it gets better for you.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2018, 08:02 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA
As a retired person, I also find that painting gives me a purpose that previously was lost when I stopped working. This is especially meaningful.
I can understand that. A sense of purpose in life is important.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2018, 01:36 PM
Enthusiast
Indiana

Hails from United States

It makes me feel like a font of life
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-14-2018, 10:09 PM
San Joaquin Valley, Ca.

Hails from United States

I see the beauty in this world, everywhere. And I want to capture it for a moment. But, alas, I'm not very talented so I disappoint myself a lot. But I cant stop trying. Whats the point in that?! Every now and then, someone see's what I saw, and that encourages me forward. I learn something all the time.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2018, 03:46 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

I missed one very important reason before. I love painting because I know I will never, ever learn everything there is to learn about it. I won't even come close. To have a constant challenge to improve and learn from my "failures" (better termed "learning opportunities" ), for me makes for a very satisfying way to spend my time.

Delo, your approach to problems is great - I'm going to try that!

ptrkgmc, I'm glad you've found a way to overcome what sounds like some pretty serious problems.

phranque, thanks for posting the thread. It's useful to assess what it is that motivates us and why every so often.

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 07-15-2018 at 03:50 PM.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2018, 07:49 AM
Immortalized

Hails from Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA
phranque, thanks for posting the thread. It's useful to assess what it is that motivates us and why every so often.
We have Ptrkgmc to thank, he's the OP.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2018, 09:38 AM
Enthusiast
Indiana

Hails from United States

I want to see whats going to happen next
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2018, 02:23 AM

The voices in my head tell me to.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2018, 02:54 PM

I paint because I like to create something beautiful (or try at least ). And people seem to like my stuff. It keeps me busy and I become obsessed until I'm finished. I painted a portrait of someone's mother's baby picture, from a very old photo. The mother had passed away. It seemed to capture her resemblance, so they were so happy with it, they asked me to do a second one. I was glad to do a second one, and it was a challenge to see if I could do it better. She cried when she saw it. Portraits are a very personal thing to people, and I am happy create something meaningful.