Home Forums Explore Media Photography The Darkroom Skin Tone Study

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Cameraman

While looking through some color chips, I found one that matched skin color and values fairly accurately. I put my chips on a grey card and held it by hand
        First I found my ISO 400 using a white bag over the lens (incident style on an ol’ Canon S 3) under houselights.
        Then I did a three image bracket – EV Minus 0.33, ‘0’, and Plus 0.33.
        With a Magnifying Glass, I chose the image giving me a Histogram Peak in the Center of Slot 2 of my Histogram Box. This turned out to be Plus 0.33.
        There is NJO TWEAKING on this except Cropping and Resizing.
        Putting the color chips on the Grey Card helps me to assess color values better – in b and w and color. (Color chips were found in home improvement painting shop).

Norm Dunne
        Lover of the Old Masters Art Period

Cameraman

Here is an illustration showing the color patches from earlier this a m for an image done at the local Market.
            I first did an image of the Color Patches – Patch of Choice being second from top.

Then I did an image of the subject using the same settings.

I spoke to the lady running the art gallery shop behind Anne. She said the paint chip and Anne’s skin (as well as a sight test on her own skin) were very accurate.

Norm Dunne

Cameraman

I do not know if anyone is into the study of tonal values, but I had a look at a couple of black and white variations. With the paint chips on the Grey Card it does give one a chance to see Values in a different light.

Norm Dunne

Cameraman

I aimed WHITE INCIDENT BAG to ROOM ROOF and found shutter speed in ALL AUTO MODE.
                    I set my shutter and ISO in PROGRAM MODE.
                    I did a 3 image bracket. (EV’s are: Minus 0.33, ‘0’ and Plus 0.33). I selected my image 3 as the best with HISTOGRAM PEAK in SLOT 3 of HISTOGRAM BOX – EV Plus 0.33.
                    What I like best here – this idea keeps the b and w values and color values better than if I aimed the WHITE BAG straight out from the target and used those readings. Also, I like how I can compare my b and w and color values to my Grey Card.
                    (I forgot to use Macro Setting hence the printing is a bit soft).

Norm Dunne

Hi Norm. Glad to see that you are back working on your photography techniques. You were MIA for quite some time. I hope all is well with you and Anne. It looks like your technique gave Anne’s eyes a little more contrast. I really like what it did for the store window in the far left hand corner.

Photography is the art of observation. It has little to to with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them. Elliott Erwitt
                    Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Zuiko 14-150 mm zoom, Zuiko 2.8 60mm macro, Sigma 2.8 Fish Eye. Nikon D5100

Cameraman

Hey Lorell

My thanks for the kind words you posted. They are much appreciated as always. I have been off for a couple of days.. Anne and I have keeping well during this time.

First I did a three image bracket with White Plastic Ring of the sky. This gave me a HISTOGRAM PEAK in CENTER OF SLOT 1 and SLOT 2 of HISTOGRAM BOX in rain showers.
                        Then I did an image of the subject itself in 3 image bracket. This gave me a Centered Slot 1 and Slot 2 Histogram Peak.
                        Slot 1 and Slot 2 Histogram Peaks in this case gave me very rich shadow and lower light accuracy which I really liked.

Norm Dunne

Cameraman

This image is done exactly the same way as the one above in the rain.
                            In this case I got a Centered Slot 3 HISTOGRAM PEAK working from the sky. My ISO from that turned out to be 80. Slot 3 Histogram Peak at ISO 80 gave me very good all round details – considering the brightness of the light on the scene. Slot 3 is the exact middle of the 5 slot Histogram Box.

Norm Dunne

Cameraman

First off – I held the cam – facing the roof – with the white plastic ring – below the level of the table lamp. My light I turned on a small amount.
                                I did a three image bracket at: ‘0’, PLUS 0.33 and PLUS 0.66.
                                I got a Centered Histogram Peak at SLOT 3 at ISO 200 as my best result.
                                I used ISO 200 to do a bracket of subject and got a Centered Histogram Peak in SLOT 1, touching bottom corner of SLOT 2 and SLOT 3 in Histogram Box.
                                This brought out the SUNSET/SUNRISE LOOK on the skin.

Norm Dunne

Cameraman

I put this one in for all folks who like b and w images. Details are in the color version above.

Norm Dunne

Cameraman

Some added info I thought about after I posted yesterday.
                                        If I do not get a clean Centered Histogram Peak (Spike some call it), I have the option of going up or down the EV scale and/or ISO scale until I do get a clean Centered Histogram Peak in my Slots.
                                        This way I do not have to GUESS how much to change my image settings manually.

Norm Dunne

Cameraman

My illustration here is one that carries on from the one above. In this one I aimed the white bag to the roof and found my ISO at 800 in P MODE I did my 3 image bracket to check my Centered Histogram Peaks . Everything is fine at EV MINUS 1, ‘0’ and Plus 1

My 3 image bracket is done at EV’0′, Minus 0.33 and Minus 0.66. My image here is at MINUS 0.33. My images at the above settings did not give me a Centered Histogram Peak. I used a small square shaped Hand Mirror to fill in face shadows

Norm Dunne

Dreamin

My illustration here is one that carries on from the one above. In this one I aimed the white bag to the roof and found my ISO at 800 in P MODE I did my 3 image bracket to check my Centered Histogram Peaks . Everything is fine at EV MINUS 1, ‘0’ and Plus 1

My 3 image bracket is done at EV’0′, Minus 0.33 and Minus 0.66. My image here is at MINUS 0.33. My images at the above settings did not give me a Centered Histogram Peak. I used a small square shaped Hand Mirror to fill in face shadows

Anne’s skin does not look so red in this last one. I like it. Greetings to Anne!!

Natalie

Cameraman

Hello Natalie;

My thanks for the kind words. They help me to stay with my course of study.
                                                    I will pass on your greetings..

My focus recently has been to study the Renaissance and Fresco Painters and try to bring in my images similar to how they would do a scene. This really makes me think more – which is good for me.

Norm Dunne

Cameraman

For anyone who likes texture in an image to show:
                                                        I found a Mid Green Hand Towel around here. I have tried to enlarge the towel so as to bring in the texture (rough edge). I use that as I set my light level settings with my EV and ISO – taking bracketed images – to find the best Centered Histogram Peak settings in the Histogram Slots in the Histogram Box.

My illustration is done using this method. This is done under houselights and I like how the two shades of white come through clean and clear.

For Mike – the eye of the target is in the upper right corner (inside though) of the 5 Box as I explained it in Keep yer Head Down.

Norm Dunne

Cameraman

For anyone liking to do a quick assessment of one’s images.

I did a quick sight test this morn and found some interesting info.

I checked my exposures (all 3 bracket images) and enlarged them right in camerea. When I checked them with a Magnifying Lupe, I had a very good look at all my details and especially the texture and brightness.
                                                            This I did in my Histogram Box to see where the Peaks went. In very short order I could tell which image gave the most accurate brightness, texture, Histogram Peaks and Red and Blue and Green Histogram like scales (below the normal Histogram Box) in my Canon SX 60. I also checked my images
                                                            themselves to see how the accurate the details were.

An excellent learning Tool is this – if a cam has the colored Histogram like scales. I would not go without my Histogram either – if the cam does not have the colored scales. Also, one can make changes on the spot quickly doing this -especially using a Magnifying Lupe.

Norm Dunne

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.