Home Forums The Art Business Center General Art Business How do you weigh your paintings?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Dapple115

Hi there everyone,

I have a quick question about how to weigh paintings in order to get shipping estimates online from the UPS site for example. Can you weigh them on a normal scale (i.e. the kind you would measure your own weight on), or do you have to buy a commercial one specifically for mailing packages?

A person who works in a small shipping supplies store told me that the commercial ones are too expensive and break easily and that I should just use a normal scale. Is that true? Are a normal scale’s readings accurate enough for this purpose?

Any other tips or tricks for weighing paintings or any other info requirements for shipping estimates is very much appreciated! Thank you so much in advance! :)

Robin

I bought a vintage scale 24 lbs, 15 oz. It is very, very accurate, it’s lasted probably 50 years. My smallest postage is for my repro prints, they are 4 oz and it is accurate for that. I got it for $5 at an auction. Since being over 1 oz can make a huge shipping cost difference, to me, it’s very important to have those oz on there.

Robin

CarlyHardy

I usually package and take it to the post office…they will weigh and tell you the required postage. Then I let the client know the cost of shipping added to the cost of the painting.

UPS will do this too.

I also have an old weight machine which works well for the smaller packages.

Dapple115

I bought a vintage scale 24 lbs, 15 oz. It is very, very accurate, it’s lasted probably 50 years. My smallest postage is for my repro prints, they are 4 oz and it is accurate for that. I got it for $5 at an auction. Since being over 1 oz can make a huge shipping cost difference, to me, it’s very important to have those oz on there.

Thank you! This makes a lot of sense, I didn’t think about the precision in ounces! I will look for one that can be very precise like yours. Thank you for sharing! :)

Dapple115

I usually package and take it to the post office…they will weigh and tell you the required postage. Then I let the client know the cost of shipping added to the cost of the painting.

UPS will do this too.

I also have an old weight machine which works well for the smaller packages.

Ah okay, this makes sense too! So is it not really practical to put the weight of just the painting in its info on my website so that the customer can use that to estimate shipping costs online on UPS for example? Because it won’t be accurate I guess since it wouldn’t include the packaging weight. Is there any purpose for me to weigh the painting before packaging it at all?

Thank you so much for your input! It’s very helpful and I appreciate it! :)

Robin

All of the digital ones are precise, too.

To answer your question to Carly, imo, there is no reason to weigh it without packaging. You will be undercharging for shipping.

Robin

Dapple115

All of the digital ones are precise, too.

To answer your question to Carly, imo, there is no reason to weigh it without packaging. You will be undercharging for shipping.

Thank you for answering this! That was my biggest question moving forward – about if a digital scale is accurate enough. And that’s also super good to know about weighing before/after packaging. Thank you so much for clarifying both points! I really appreciate it! :)

contumacious

As noted already, you need to have the complete package, as it will be shipped to your customer, including all the padding etc.

Once you are shipping on a regular basis you won’t enjoy driving to the UPS store or the Post Office to weigh everything. I would recommend a digital scale that will weigh high enough for your largest piece. Since paintings can be pretty big, don’t get a scale that has the display on the scale or you won’t be able to see it when the box is on there. Something like the one below which goes up to 110 pounds will be more than accurate enough for UPS as long as you round it up to the next pound which is what they do anyway.

https://www.amazon.com/Accuteck-ShipPro-Digital-Shipping-W-8580-110-Black/dp/B00KYA0RC2/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1542159005&sr=8-20&keywords=ups+scale

Finding a mechanical scale that is as accurate as the one above, +/- 1/10th of an ounce is going to be very difficult even for twice the price.

CarlyHardy

Weight is not the only thing that figures into shipping….size of the package and distance also plays a part. That’s the reason I took them in for pricing. However once you know the sizes of your paintings and the packaging, you can pretty much make a chart for yourself.

Example…my 11×14 canvas (no framing) weighed 3.8 lbs packaged…then just put that into the usps site calculator with location and you have a price.
                                        Priority boxes can be ordered in bulk from the PO online and they will send to your home addy. I get those all the time for shipping…saves me money on boxes!

Dapple115

As noted already, you need to have the complete package, as it will be shipped to your customer, including all the padding etc.

Once you are shipping on a regular basis you won’t enjoy driving to the UPS store or the Post Office to weigh everything. I would recommend a digital scale that will weigh high enough for your largest piece. Since paintings can be pretty big, don’t get a scale that has the display on the scale or you won’t be able to see it when the box is on there. Something like the one below which goes up to 110 pounds will be more than accurate enough for UPS as long as you round it up to the next pound which is what they do anyway.

[URL=https://www.amazon.com/Accuteck-ShipPro-Digital-Shipping-W-8580-110-Black/dp/B00KYA0RC2/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1542159005&sr=8-20&keywords=ups+scale]https://www.amazon.com/Accuteck-ShipPro-Digital-Shipping-W-8580-110-Black/dp/B00KYA0RC2/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1542159005&sr=8-20&keywords=ups+scale[/URL]

Finding a mechanical scale that is as accurate as the one above, +/- 1/10th of an ounce is going to be very difficult even for twice the price.

Oh wow, I somehow did not think of this at all. Thank you so much, this reminder along with the specific link is incredibly helpful!! This is great, and will save me so much time and headaches. Thank you so much!

Dapple115

Weight is not the only thing that figures into shipping….size of the package and distance also plays a part. That’s the reason I took them in for pricing. However once you know the sizes of your paintings and the packaging, you can pretty much make a chart for yourself.

Example…my 11×14 canvas (no framing) weighed 3.8 lbs packaged…then just put that into the usps site calculator with location and you have a price.
                                                Priority boxes can be ordered in bulk from the PO online and they will send to your home addy. I get those all the time for shipping…saves me money on boxes!

Ah true, I keep forgetting about size for the paintings too. Distance I’m nervous about, so I like the idea of making a chart like you said. I want to have a general idea of how much shipping costs to various countries/parts of the country.

For boxes – are those “double walled” or corrugated? (I’m still learning the correct terms). I went to a local shipping supply store (because I read online it’s cheaper to find a local supplier than order online from ULine) and they said the safest is custom boxes which are significantly more expensive…

contumacious

Oh wow, I somehow did not think of this at all. Thank you so much, this reminder along with the specific link is incredibly helpful!! This is great, and will save me so much time and headaches. Thank you so much!

You are welcome. I posted that information because I bought a scale with the display attached to the body of the scale so I have to use a mirror to read the weight with large boxes on it! (One plus is I am learning to read numbers that are reversed in a mirror.)

Dapple115

You are welcome. I posted that information because I bought a scale with the display attached to the body of the scale so I have to use a mirror to read the weight with large boxes on it! (One plus is I am learning to read numbers that are reversed in a mirror.)

Haha, that is a useful skill to have! Always good to have a positive take-away :) Thank you again though for sharing this experience with me!

Harold Roth

I have never used a custom box nor a double-walled box (except when I shipped a painting to Amsterdam, and then I put two boxes together with bubble wrap in between). The kind of box called side-loading is good–tends to be the right proportions for paintings. I can’t remember where I bought them last time. I quit buying from Uline on account of their reactionary politics; there are plenty of other vendors. Shipping for a bunch of boxes can be real steep, though, as they are heavy and big. Sometimes you can get them locally, like from staples or one of the big box stores, so no shipping.

Robin

My 11 x 14s are well under 2 pounds packaged. I’ve never had one arrive damaged. I’ve shipped well over 1,000 paintings and only had one that was damaged and that was a watercolor that the deliverer stood on to bend in half to stick between the doors and then he forged the customer’s signature. It had his boot print on it. Nothing you can do about that! I was so glad it was insured!

I think it’s possible to over pack and over pay for shipping.

Robin

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
                                                              • The topic ‘How do you weigh your paintings?’ is closed to new replies.