Home Forums Explore Media Pen and Ink recent fountain pen sketches

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    vhere

quick sketch out of the window today of the tangled autum leaves and bare branches. Done with a Sailor Fude pen – I love the variety of marks/widths of mark you can get with them.

sketch from an old photo of our cat ready to pounce – when I developed the film (taken in b&w film – I was into developing and printing) I noticed the headline on the newspaper :)

and

and a corner shop with watersoluble pens and white pencil on grey S&B nova sketchbook

I like the freshness of the marks, gives an immediacy to the work.
        How appropriate a headline for the cat!:lol:
        Really lke that corner shop drawing, very nice!

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

Anonymous

Very accomplished sketches, just excellent !
            I would like to see some more using the Sailor Fude pen if you have any handy.
            The pen & wash of the corner shop is very obviously a pen in a painters hand .
            I didn’t know it could be done quite like that ! (& I’ve seen a lot) :lol:
            Thanks for sharing,
            Mike.

vhere

thank you both :) – I like to blur the line between drawing and painting :)

I love how the lines just flow like there was no effort to capture these scenes on paper!
                I especially like the corner store and I keep staring at it trying to memorize how your lines indicate that it is on a corner. (I have a lousy eye for angles!)

Excellent!
                Sheila

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.
                -Helen Keller
                The question is not what you look at, but what you see.
                -Henry David Thoreau

vhere

one of my students told me something to deal with perspective that I was never taught at school or college – she said imagine the line as the hand on a clock – what time is it pointing at.

It’s like fighter pilots – ‘bandits at 6 o’ clock’ ! but so visual and easy to use. I just don’t think mathematically with x point perspective, I work more instinctively. I now teach that to my students.

A tutor, years ago said ‘imagine your brush/pencil is touching the thing being painted’ I sort of feel the shape/line, and work fast which keeps the fluidity.

Hope that’s helpful

one of my students told me something to deal with perspective that I was [I]never [/I]taught at school or college – she said imagine the line as the hand on a clock – what time is it pointing at.

It’s like fighter pilots – ‘bandits at 6 o’ clock’ ! but so visual and easy to use. I just don’t think mathematically with x point perspective, I work more instinctively. I now teach that to my students.

A tutor, years ago said ‘imagine your brush/pencil is [I]touching [/I]the thing being painted’ I sort of [I]feel [/I]the shape/line, and work fast which keeps the fluidity.

Hope that’s helpful

VERY helpful! Best way I’ve ever heard it explained! Thanks so much!
                    Sheila

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.
                    -Helen Keller
                    -Henry David Thoreau

vhere

glad it was helpful :)

Boafamily

I like your style.:)

The shop has such a nice painterly quality. So loose.

Vhere,
                            Another question- popped up when I was dreaming about drawing an urban setting. Do you measure the angles to get the same degree when doing the something like the shop? I mean, there is the door at 12 o’clock and then each side going off, we’ll say at 3 minutes before 12 and 3 minutes after. In my “less than easy and loose” approach to things I rarely get accurate mirror angles and am wondering if this comes naturally to you or if you have another trick to share?

Thanks!
                            Sheila

-Helen Keller
                            -Henry David Thoreau

vhere

yes you just judge each line/angle on its own and keep in mind what it’s level with above and below so negative spaces and other elements work – I don’t really do it often as I’m not bad at perspective, but when it’s complex I do.

Anonymous

One easy method I find useful is to hold a straight edge up (with one eye closed) to get the angle right,a ruler,your pen, whatever is handy.
                                    Often I will hold it in my left hand being right handed & draw it whilst directly observing the straight edge rather than the actual subject , & YES you do get some surprises, can that really be right ? Well yes it must be !
                                    Mike.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.