Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor Palette Talk Anti Palette Addict

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    diamondsutra

I was scrolling through the Palette Addicts section here and was disturbed by the quantity of palettes and pigments that people are holding onto. It’s completely unnecessary :( I want to share my set up that I’ve used for the last 3 1/2 years. I use this exact set up for all of my paintings, from full sheet to postcards. For scale, this painting is an 8×10″ and about the same size as my unfolded palette.

I have a 13 well folding aluminum palette I picked up in Japan. It’s bent and does not seal all the way. For paper, I cut a piece of cardboard slightly larger than my painting and use four bulldog clips to prevent it from buckling. I paint on the floor or at a desk, and I put any small items behind it to prop it at the angle I want. I do not have an easel or tripod of any sort. For brushes, I use only three. I have a 14 squirrel, an 8 quill, and a 4 sable. In all:

Bent up palette
        3 brushes
        Paper clipped on spare cardboard

What I want to get at -> It’s fun to check out art supplies and buy new ones to play with. However, the main point though is that we paint .. having stashes of pigments and palettes and brushes is extraneous. We can get by with less and less and it’s good practice to simplify our materials to the essential – anything else is a distraction from the journey of learning to paint and see. Good painting comes from practice and knowledge of our materials – not from heaps of supplies and memorizing formulas from handprint.com.

josh here :music:
        my artwork: http://www.joshwalden.com
        my travel blog: http://joshwalden.blogspot.com

shipbroker

As I have said before, I mainly use used food packaging i.e. microwave trays etc..and they can be recycled or binned depending on material thereafter….

I don’t have anything, other than a box my Dad made,that could not be replaced if it all went tomorrow,

geoff

" This is a wonderful day, I have never seen this one before" -Maya Angelou

I don’t judge anyone for the choices they make regarding their supplies. I don’t apologize for owning a few palettes, lots of tubes of colours and more brushes than I actually need. And yet, I manage to paint almost every single day.

Despite this plethora of “stuff” including reams of paper, I’m neither distracted nor unknowledgeable. And, quite honestly, I enjoy researching pigment data, having done my own lightfast tests.

I honestly don’t think it matters what quantity or quality of supplies that other Artists prefer. I can only comment on my own preferences and what works for me.

Char --

CharMing Art -- "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art." Leonardo DaVinci

M.L. Schaefer

Josh, I do understand what you mean….but I think a lot has to do with what we paint…a “floral” palette (such as what Char uses, I’m sure), that is also perfect for painting birds and fish, demands a much brighter and colorful palette. Some landscape painters, such as Virgil, the same. If you paint with a more grayed-out palette, and love that look (such as what you use), hurray to that!

Yes, some of us, sometimes, hope that the last tube we buy, the brush we use, will be magical, and help our dreams come true. Not so. But others have a love of color that reaches deeply into our souls! And, it is a process to tone down and gray our palette somewhat!:) (I love a grayed palette, which I’ve heard described as an English palette, is a struggle for me when I want it!)

It is imperative, though, like you said, that we wet our brushes and paints as much as possible to see our dreams be realized. No magic bullet, just hard work, sometimes frustrating (to such a one as me), sometimes a victory (too few and far between for such a one as me). But, it is the journey of achieving some mastery, which never ends, that is the most important!:angel:

Margarete

When he, the Spirit of truth is come...he will be your Guide... Holy Bible (Old and New Testament)
                Under the Concrete are Flowers Yet to be Born...from a Chilean Poem

Susaleena

Reiterating what Margarete said above me – I also have different palettes for different needs. Not because I feel that more palettes would make me a better painter (or perform more efficiently) but because different palettes serve different purposes for me (one for floral, one for illustration etc)

I don’t see an issue in experimenting with different types of palettes or pigments and just bouncing off Char as well – I’m neither distracted nor knowledgeable by the tools that I have. I research the pigments before I purchase them for use in my paintings and always make sure that I build each palette properly.

However, I do agree with you that the main point for all of us is to enjoy our tools and paint! Having tools and not using them is a shame but each artist works differently so while a limited palette may work for one artist, another artist may not work in the same manner and require a different approach.

maryinasia

love your painting and your palette.

hblenkle

For the first year I painted in watercolors, in class I was limited to aurelian, cobalt blue, and alizarin crimson. We used a size 28 golden fleece giant by Cheap Joe and a small synthetic about a size 5. We were encouraged to get arches paper or similar artist quality paper. We used a cheap thin plastic palette. I learned a lot, but glad to have moved on to more colors and brushes. Each addition has been for a purpose after a trial period.

Josh, you are economical in all that you do. You travel all over the World and I know that it would be hard carrying my supplies with you. :angel: Some of us are just collectors and like the ‘stuff’. My DH would have the same supplies that you do, but, not me! Keep slinging that paint, my friend!! :thumbsup:

Katherine :music: :music:

Reference Image Library
                            Posting Guidelines & Other Info HERE
                            WATERCOLOR HANDBOOK

shipbroker

Yup..we are all different in our needs and desires and talents……30 years ago I went to a night school for art. Our tutor was a formally taught artiist that had attended Goldsmiths College in London…..if painting plein air he carried a metal palette,but for studio and classroom old plates were the order of the day…why?,because that was what they used at college…….

Geoff

" This is a wonderful day, I have never seen this one before" -Maya Angelou

M.L. Schaefer

Josh, I was amiss! I’ve always loved your art, and your example painting and how arrived at it is impressive. I forgot to say so in my earlier post…Mary reminded me! :thumbsup:

Margarete

When he, the Spirit of truth is come...he will be your Guide... Holy Bible (Old and New Testament)
                                    Under the Concrete are Flowers Yet to be Born...from a Chilean Poem

diamondsutra

Thanks for all the interesting responses and ideas .. I agree that it is good to have different palettes for different styles and subjects. It makes sense then to maybe have a floral palette, a landscape palette, etc. Watercolor though doesn’t require as much room as acrylic or oils (ie carrying around actual tubes) and we can probably have as many pigments as we need in 2 or 3 different palettes .. so I will respectfully stand with my initial claim that it’s extraneous to have 5, 10, 15, or 20 palettes!

Also the search for different palettes makes sense – color wise and for actual boxes. I’ve gone through a lot of different colors and palettes. Colors, I’ll use it all up and if I don’t like it, I will replace it. I go through one new color at a time. I’ve gone through four different palettes while I was searching for one to use for good. I didn’t care for two of them, and I gave them to friends. I still hold onto my John Pike (it’s at my mom’s house in the US) and carry my metal tin with me for all my painting needs.

My metal palette is getting iffy .. I bet I will be able to find some nice palettes here in China ;)

diamondsutra

PS – Thanks Mary and Margarete :)

I bet I will be able to find some nice palettes here in China ;)

Yup! I’m sure there’ll be all kinds to choose from… watch for good enamelling on the metal palettes.

Your limited colour choices suit your style beautifully. The direction your more recent work has taken is exciting and fresh. But your palette wouldn’t make for yummy looking fruit in still lifes or vibrant petals in florals, though.

Like you, if I find something that simply won’t work for me, I give it away to someone who’d enjoy it. I remember being really excited about D. Smith’s interference colours and bought a few of them. I used them once. I had absolutely no interest in painting everything with iridescence! :lol: But, a friend does a lot of hand painted greeting cards and loved them. They’re hers now, having found a good home.

We certainly cannot make assumptions about others and we each must march to the beat of our own drum.

Char --

CharMing Art -- "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art." Leonardo DaVinci

Flattwo

I use disposable plastic or paper plates for watercolour and acrylic

Henry

webLes

Well its nice to hear people discussing palettes and the answers . I can’t help but comparing it to buying clothes I wear certain clothes for certain occasions and I buy some accessories to go with a suit for instance but didn’t match I discard some I bought thinking I liked the colour then had second thoughts and gave them away to the thrift store . Life would be boring if we dressed in the same old clothes every day .I liked Chars comments and agree .

Les

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.