Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    crafor

Been noticing that different paints are being recommended recently. It occurred to me that I never see the Blick brand recommended. Does no one here use it? Has anyone had experience with it? I read that half their paints were one pigment, the others are a mix.
        Ella

Freesail

I have tired there paints and found them no better or worst then any other brand. If you can buy them on sale as I did, they can be a good deal.

Solvent = Leaner Oil = Fatter Drawing is the basis of art. A bad painter cannot draw. But one who draws well can always paint. (Arshile Gorky)
            forsooth

I’ve tried of the Dick Blick oil colors and they were very satisfactory. They have a few unique combo-colors, e.g., “warm gray.”

The reviews from customers (on the DB site) seem legit (some reviews with poor ratings), so you could check those out. Nothing like trying a few tubes for yourself.

I wonder who makes their line of oil paints…?

libby2

I’ve heard that one of the big brands (European) makes Blicks, but for the life of me I can’t remember who it is.

_______
                    Libby my blog

Alan P. in OC

I’ve tried of the Dick Blick oil colors and they were very satisfactory. They have a few unique combo-colors, e.g., “warm gray.”

The reviews from customers (on the DB site) seem legit (some reviews with poor ratings), so you could check those out. Nothing like trying a few tubes for yourself.

I wonder who makes their line of oil paints…?

I believe it’s Sennelier.

mariposa-art

Yeah, I think it’s Sennelier; the color names are identical on some of the tubes.

I’ve used the Blick paints and they’re fine. If you like the price, go for it! :D

Anonymous

yes it is sennelier, you can title search “blick oil” in this forum and get three previous threads.

yakker0117

So when you buy oils are you more concerned with price, quality or the combination of the two? My real question is which oil paints are recommended according to price point?

libby2

I buy oils based on how they interact with other oils: that I like the colors they make when mixed. I’ve discovered my palette revolves around yellows, so I’ve more of them. Then, quality and price. I can’t afford $40-50-plus tubes, but I want good quality. I like in no particular order Windsor & Newton Artist (and I’m finishing out the Winton’s), Gamblin, Rubelov, Utrecht Artist.

Oh, just to add since I’ve mentioned the yellows, W&N Artists transparent yellow #653 is a fabulous yellow. Doesn’t look like much straight out of the tube, kinda blah, but man what a color and does it mix. It’s on the higher end price wise, but worth it. Thanks to Bill Martin for mentioning it in one of his posts.

_______
                                        Libby my blog

Don Ketchek

So when you buy oils are you more concerned with price, quality or the combination of the two? My real question is which oil paints are recommended according to price point?

Neither. Do I like the color – that’s the only question that matters. If it’s artist quality – any brand – that’s good enough for me.

Don

Tiasa

Dick Blick has two grades of oil paint: a student grade oil color and artist’s grade. The student grade is called Blick Oil Colors. The artist grade is called Blick Artist Oil Colors and is the one made by Sennelier.

I got a set of Blick Artist Oil Colors for Christmas a couple of years ago. They are thick, stiff paints—which I like. You can get smooth paint layers with them, but they aren’t creamy out of the tube.

I think most are ground in safflower oil which yellows less than linseed and takes longer to dry. Some of them are mixtures, some are not, but many people don’t mind mixtures. After all, most of the paint that actually goes on a canvas is a mixture. The only difference is that you mixed it yourself.

LeMAL

Was curious about this. Thanks!

If you want to check out more of my stuff
                                                    https://www.facebook.com/bonjour.je.suis.le.mal

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                                                  • The topic ‘Dick Blick’ is closed to new replies.