Home Forums Explore Media Pastels Materials Canson Mi-Teintes: which side and why?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Anne Y. H.

Hello,

A lot of us use Canson Mi-Teinte and I wondered what was the favorite face and the reasons for using one or the other.

When I started pastels, I din’t like the rough side – most probably because I didn’t put enough pastel -, but it became my favorite. I like the opportunity of seing the background under the pastels. Maybe the regular structure reminds me of canvas too.

Anne.

JStarr

Let’s see if I remember it right:

“I do not like Canson ground.
            I do not like it-
            it makes me frown.
            There’s all these little holes, you see;
            filling them in is killing me.
            No- I do not like Canson ground-
            I wonder if I’ve some vellum around?”

I’ve messed about with the smooth side of Canson, sanding it lightly first to get rid of that slickery thing that sends your pastels skidding across one and other like a mime on ice, and it works as long as the painting is not supposed to be perfectly detailed; seems raising the nap by sanding leaves a kind of “fuzzy” look to what should be hard lines.

I’ve got to say Senneliers new pastel carte is pretty darned good- your pastel goes where you put it, stays where you put it, and blends remarkably well AT THE SAME TIME! The downside is, even a small painting yields enough wasted dust to make nearly a half-stick of dark gray-shading to whatever hue. Not to mention at nearly $5.00 a pop, it isn’t a surface you “try something on”.

Schoellershammer Translucent Vellum- I’m telling you- give it a try. Good stuff- takes layers and layers, brushes off easily without too much smearing, and erases clean. Plus- it’s inexpensive….

Dark_Shades

I wanted to vote twice :D ….. I no longer like working on Canson…. but when I did, and if I have to, its always on the rough side …. I feel it holds more pastel……. the smooth side, Im convinced lol, will just fall off :) ….. I much prefer working on textured papers now….. saves alot of work and layering

pampe

Since being a beginner is so much fun….I usually pulled the paper out and didn’t even realize till I was into the painting

Now I use the rough side for certain things and the smooth side for others

I am dying to try Wallis or Art Spectrum but afraid to spend the money

What Ia m thinking of doing is using paper and coating with gesso/pumice/something or other to add texture and trying that next

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Pam
                    My definition of a free society is a society where it is safe to be unpopular. ~~~~Adlai E. Stevenson Jr.

Whoever makes Canson had better get with the program – I have used my last piece for anything serious. I will probably use up the stock I have for sketching, but that is all it is good for IMHO.

I wouldn’t even recommend it for a beginner – how frustrating to start out on something that is inferior only to get inferior results. No wonder people quit before they get started.

I know this sounds harsh, but I wish I had started out with better paper.

ctmobitz

I have used both sides of the Canson paper. I do prefer the smoother side. I do like the way I can get more detail. I have purchased Wallis and have not tried it yet. Would also like to give Art Spectrum a try in the near future. In the past I have used Cold Press Watercolor paper and did like that also. I have lots of Canson and Watercolor paper around so……..being frugal..I will use it up slowly…….LOL

Claude

My artwork can be viewed at:
                        My blog: www.cjmartstudio-cjm.blogspot.com
                        www.artwanted.com/CJMart

[i]Originally posted by pampe [/i]
                        [B]Since being a beginner is so much fun….I usually pulled the paper out and didn’t even realize till I was into the painting
                        Now I use the rough side for certain things and the smooth side for others
                        I am dying to try Wallis or Art Spectrum but afraid to spend the money
                        What Ia m thinking of doing is using paper and coating with gesso/pumice/something or other to add texture and trying that next [/B]

All of the above! :D
                        Actually, I’ve been coating my Canson, and watercolor paper, with pumice gel lately, and like it, with both kinds of pastels.

Wendy C&C always welcome
                        Everybody likes feedback! Please remember to comment on others' threads, even if it's just a "nice work" post.

Stoy Jones

Lol!..SBJ! Very funny! Interesting post so far. I like Canson only because (like a beginner) I have no experience on other paper yet and I’m sure once I try something else, I won’t go back!

I found Canson to have defects in the paper like a crease that is invisible until you work over it and the whole thing becomes obvious. This doesn’t set well with me, so I have to look over a new sheet everytime I buy. I prefer the smooth side. I also prefer a different tooth than all those holes if I want texture. I really enjoy working on brown mailing wrap most, but won’t always use it, because it isn’t archival and I won’t always need “brown” paper if I need a different color.

Stoy

soap

I only use Canson for works that I don’t intend to spend much time on and the thicker pastel cards can take a lot more layering, erasing, well, more beating.
                                I once used the rough side and did not like the kitchen-role texture at all. So, I only use the smooth side.
                                It is good paper though……especially for those who don’t need a super strong card.

Deborah Secor

With the energy and looseness I like to use in the early stages of my work, Canson just cannot hold up. I need a paper with tooth, tooth and more tooth.

I started with Canson 20 years ago and almost gave up pastels from frustration. Thankfully I met Handell, who made us use sandpaper–and the rest is history.

I could never figure out which side I liked better on Canson because the rough side had all that odd texture tht I hated for my work, but the smooth side held even less pastel!

I have to say that some of the artists whose work I admire use that stuff, and I just cannot figure out how they do it! Check out Fred Somers work, all on Canson I think. He won a big prize last year in the PJ100 and I interviewed him. Great work, many, many layers. Amazing…
                                    http://www.fredericksomers.com[/URL%5D

Deborah

Deborah

"All glory to Him, who alone is God our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord."
                                    Landscape Painting in Pastels (free online book)
                                    Gouache Blog

Hi
                                    I’m for canson
                                    I use the right side, mostly
                                    one of the reasons I like canson
                                    https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85436
                                    regards
                                    Dan

regards
                                    Dan
                                    http://dfgray.com/

Anne Y. H.

Thanks all for your answers…

SweetBabyJ, Nice poem. I bougth Sennelier La Carte but I didn’t try it yet…

Dark_Shades, Sorry, I should have put a “Not any more” answer…

pampe, I understand you… when I feel better skilled, I will dare using more expensive paper…

kyle, I don’t think Arjo Wiggings is in big trouble (their name make me thinks of Largo Winch – famous Bande Dessinée = comic printed on glossy paper as a book), but thanks for your answer…

ctmobitz and sundiver, let’s see who will be first between you, pampe and me to go to more expensive paper…

Stoy Jones: brown mailing paper is probably the cheapest paper, I don’t know if any archival paper can give you the same impression

soap: Nothing to do with Canson but I forgot to thank you for your architectural work, it inspired me a lot… would never have considered putting red/pink in stones without seing your work.

Deborah, thanks or the link… so there are not only beginners who use Canson… I especially like the snow landscapes and the leaves from Fred Somers.

Dan, that’s an amazing story… well I live in France and Canson is probably the most widespread brand… Mi-Teintes sheet can be bougth in supermarkets (at least the 24×32 cm / 9 1/2 x 12 1/2)….

Anne.

soap

thanks for the lovely compliment, Anney. I am happy somebody is enjoying my buildings.

vrashton

I use Canson smooth side. Why? because it’s almost the only paper I can get around here, although just recently I have found some Unison paper but it only comes in white. I haven’t tried it yet but I will soon. I can also get Schminke paper but I find it too rough, (I like to use my fingers to blend, it takes the skin off). I find the rough side of canson too hard to cover with soft pastels, although it does seem to work better with oils.
                                                Val

CarlyHardy

Smooth side is my favorite, but I have used the rough side and with some subjects, I prefer the rough side.

I think the smooth side takes more pastel and you can cover it better. Trying to get the pastel into the tiny waffles is a pain…lol! I always over blended when I wanted to do that.
                                                    carly

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.