Home Forums The Learning Center Composition and Design W.I.P.(another)Photo and Painting thread

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    bongo

24″x24″ gessoed panel. Paynes Gray

paynes gray plus a rumor of raw umber

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/18-Sep-2019/1999899-sigsmall.jpg
        STUDIOBONGO

Katie Black

Looking good! I love watching WIPs :)

Katie Black Fine Art

"Life is far too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde

Are you looking for critique? If so, I guess my first question would be where would you (for now) like to go with this image? If not, then I’ll keep my lip zipped, and just enjoy the WIP.

Cheers;
            Chris

C&C of all sorts always welcome! (I don't mind rude or harsh criticism.)
            I suppose I have to do this too :p (my blog, & current work). My Visual Arts Nova Scotia page.
            Art is the most intense mode of individualism that the world has known - Oscar Wilde

The primary palette: Attention, observation, memory, imagination, integration, execution

bongo

Are you looking for critique? If so, I guess my first question would be where would you (for now) like to go with this image? If not, then I’ll keep my lip zipped, and just enjoy the WIP.

Cheers;
                Chris

Wide open to all comments. And thanks for looking

My idea is to lay in some b.g
                Then f.g elements
                Then road graphics and shadows
                Then decide if any glazing is necessary
                Then refine
                Then “texturize” road
                Then refine, refine.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/18-Sep-2019/1999899-sigsmall.jpg
                STUDIOBONGO

bongo

STUDIOBONGO

Katie Black

Again, looking good. The road is great and seems to go on forever.

Katie Black Fine Art

La_

looking good!
                            it appears you’re giving him a green jacket (to go with the green light?)
                            i wonder if it’s intentionally defiant that you’re allowing him to cross on a green light … or if it might create more ‘tension’ if he was crossing on yellow.
                            just out loud ponderings

la

Artchrispy

Nice WIP. So far so good.

Christophervasil.com

bongo

looking good!
                                    it appears you’re giving him a green jacket (to go with the green light?)
                                    i wonder if it’s intentionally defiant that you’re allowing him to cross on a green light … or if it might create more ‘tension’ if he was crossing on yellow.
                                    just out loud ponderings

la

The green jacket is a bit of a goof. I did the jacket after having done the green on the light and there was still a lot of green on the brush – and when it dried it matched the light, so I glazed it trying to tone it down. I’m not good with details so I was reluctant to paint it again. I don’t like it matching the light!
                                    Didn’t occur to me to change the light to yellow. I don’t think it would create much tension since there are no cars about — however it would solve the green jacket problem, and might look good with the yellow lines on the road – I might just do that.

Thanks crispy, more soon.

STUDIOBONGO

bongo

Again, looking good. The road is great and seems to go on forever.

Thanks Katie – it looks more like someplace in Southern California than it does Seattle – but—

STUDIOBONGO

Artchrispy

Since you mentioned texture I was going to suggest trying using sponges instead of brushes for the pavement. (Maybe that tip would have been more useful before you rouged in the figure and the lines. :))

Christophervasil.com

bongo

This is it with proper lighting and photography. not sure where to go with it next…

STUDIOBONGO

Katie Black

I like it. I am going to mention a couple of things… Under the traffic lights, there is a sign that says ‘one way’ have you deliberately missed this off?

The one other thing is that the tree shadow looks a little like an animal’s paw to me and maybe a little on the dark side..but I’m loving the rest of it.

Katie Black Fine Art

Artchrispy

Really good and fun to look at. Maybe clean up the curbs, especially the one on our left-sharpen edge and define the shadow. Also the car on the right, especially the roof , is almost white in the reference. It would stand out against the paw shadow if lightened. Also the red and yellow lights in the reference are in more shadow. If you darken them the green will jump out even more. Also its darker in the area beneath the green lens. Anything to make that light glow green will pay off.
                                                        The perspective works great. Your take is a lot more interesting than the reference.

Christophervasil.com

bongo

Thanks guys, and all valid points. I’m having a hard time making the green light stand out. I didn’t want to darken the yellow and red any further, but looking at the reference I see they’re nearly blacken out. In real life those lights are exceedingly bright – that green is about as bright as I can make the color without it going too white.

STUDIOBONGO

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.