WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Teacher's Toolbox
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2011, 07:04 PM
A WC! Legend

planning 2011-2012

I need to do less "art" this year and more "teaching"

(which is to say) To look more like a "normal teacher" and less like the artist. I got excellent reviews in my last school for over ten years but now in this new school I am suddenly getting failing reviews because I do not act like "a normal teacher".

I'm teaching K-5 plus 3 special-ed classes. minimal and moderate impairment

I have 6, 35-minute classes a day, roughly 20-30 kids each, hopefully with prep time in-between.

I expect everyone cuts up the available class time differently, but I'd still enjoy being inspired by reading how you do it.

I always expected that there should be some sequence in learning art. I have never run into one.

Just now I am building a rough schedule template for each class
and planning a curriculum map.syllabus or sequence for Kinder-5 from August through May.

• any advice -
  • anything I can curt and paste much appreciated...

discussion of philosophies always enjoyed.

Last edited by tortolitas : 07-08-2011 at 07:06 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2011, 05:10 PM
A WC! Legend

Re: planning 2011-2012

Let's try something else. looks like all the teachers are vacationing in climate conducive foreign climes... LOL

What makes sense: WHAT COMES FIRST?
(scope and sequence question)

Given the entire planet of humans producing aesthetic work over 1.6 million years what sequence of introduction makes art most easily comprehensible?

Any category of visual art stands beside contemporary work from its own time.

HAS ANYONE PRODUCED A GENERIC - SYNTHETIC SEQUENCE that follows the dawning human awareness of visual culture?

What is the bare bones canon of "art" for the planet earth... not divided by Western biases with the winners writing the history of art?

How many artists can be comfortably addressed per grade in elementary school? How many over k-5?

How many cultures, nations, and movements or styles can be comfortably addressed per grade? How many over k-5?

Do YOU know of an international forum better equipped and more prepared to address these questions than this one?
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2011, 11:43 PM
Lord of the Arts
Otaki , New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

35 minutes ? - bleedin' 'ell

How many days each week per class ?
what references do you have available ? (photo, pc, community, film, books, examples)
how much time in making ? how much in 'academic' requirements ?
any examples of the relevant curriculum statements (aims etc) ?

ready to help tort but don't know enough about your schooling system so may be off course a bit
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2011, 02:42 PM
A WC! Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Green
35 minutes ? - bleedin' 'ell

How many days each week per class ?
what references do you have available ? (photo, pc, community, film, books, examples)
how much time in making ? how much in 'academic' requirements ?
any examples of the relevant curriculum statements (aims etc) ?

ready to help tort but don't know enough about your schooling system so may be off course a bit

I teach 5 days a week and six classes a day.
Students get ONE day a week per class on task, on curriculum (M/Tu and Th/F)
BUT on Wednesday, I have six classes too for Art Enrichment activities! (So I guess every class becomes Enriched every 4 weeks?) It gets confusing when teachers mess with their schedule and I get to see some teachers class e3 or 4 times! Something the principal assumes wouldn't ever happen I must be confused.

1999-2010 I got "excellent" observations on rails...

Last year Our school was converted to a pre-school and the teachers were redistributed around the district. they accomplished this by making a hole for us and laying off all teachers in the district with under 3 years service and then encouraged us to apply to the school of our choice and then the rehired the remaining vacancies.

The district principals understood that would get to rehire and so most of them assumed that statistically their teacher would not get shopped. DUH.

So I came into my new school by apparently taking a job away from an old friend.

At my old school I had been teaching or piloting an entirely DIGITAL art curriculum... just computers not supplies. Half way through the costs of printing became problematic so there was little product to take home

Ah progress!

So I come into a new school not up to speed again with a traditional curriculum, with a new indigenous population with attitude, suspicious teachers with expectations, and a peeved principal.

Oddly I got my first ever unsatisfactory review this year. I agree it was not entirely undeserved. I did not perform well.

Anyway, this summer I am trying to have an entirely new curriculum go K-5 +special ed for the period between earliest August and Mid May.

Ideally, it would be scripted to the teeth with EEI standards (EEI or Essential Elements of Instruction is based on Madeline Hunter's "Mastery Teaching")

At the very end of the year I got a projection system to shine on my white board.

I have lots of traditional supplies including clay and kiln but cleanup is the bear.

I am not an effective classroom manager at this school and it was not the highlight of my previous one.

State Standards are HERE: http://www.ade.az.gov/standards/arts...VisualArts.pdf

Neither District not school has standards but we do have text books if we want... some interesting projects but not useful out of the box.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-24-2011, 06:10 PM
A WC! Legend

First day of school is in sight for some of us! Oh Joy!!!