Home Forums The Learning Center Studio Tips and Framing how do i tighten loose paint brush ferrules

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Andy Frost

My paint brushes are plagued with getting loose ferrules. I think it’s the humidity & dry heat shift up here in the north country winters that is shrinking the wood brush handles enough to loosen up from the metal ferrules.

I try to take good care of them — I wash them after a day’s use & “hang” them brush side down to dry so the water won’t drip into the center of the brushes.

Any suggestions to prevent this? I’m using a 5-minute epoxy to try to repair. The handle doesn’t come all the way out, so the epoxy just kind of goes around the handle. It happens to both cheapo & the most expensive brushes.

Thanks,

Andy Frost
        Madison, NH

sancyr

Your idea to use epoxy will work.

As far as what may be causing this? If you have been leaving your brushes in solvent (immersed past the ferrule) while you work, this may do it. I don’t know about you, but I frequently work for 8 hours at a time. Having a brush standing in solvent this way will eventually loosen the ferrule.

I find this happens with waterbased paints more often. Try keeping your brushes out of the solvent as much as possible. With watercolors and oils, this is easy since oils stay wet and watercolors are watersoluable after dry. With acrylics, rinse and wipe clean as you work, and lay the brush down, outside of your solvent tub.

If you haven’t done any of these things, I’m stumped! :confused:

Sara

Andy Frost

i work mostly in acrylics. brushes are not soaked in water as i heard this would soften the glue that holds the hairs to the brush handle.

sancyr

Do you tap your brushes hard when getting excess water off? Are you especially rough with your brushes when painting or cleaning? Only a handful of my brushes have done what you are describing, and they are the ones I set aside for acrylics. I have two brushes do this after I finished a mural project in acrylics in which I had to have my brushes in water most of the time.

Sorry I’m not more help.

Sara

Rabies

A number of my brushes (expensive and not) do this…but when I begin painting (i.e., after they’ve been dipped in water–not that I let them stand in it) they tighten up as the wooden handle swells. My local art store proprietor tells me that it’s because the brushes are manufacutured in a more humid climate. As long as they behave while I’m painting, I’m not planning to do anything about it.

I'll sleep when I'm dead...Warren Zevon

Johnnie

My paint brushes are plagued with getting loose ferrules. I think it’s the humidity & dry heat shift up here in the north country winters that is shrinking the wood brush handles enough to loosen up from the metal ferrules.

I try to take good care of them — I wash them after a day’s use & “hang” them brush side down to dry so the water won’t drip into the center of the brushes.

Any suggestions to prevent this? I’m using a 5-minute epoxy to try to repair. The handle doesn’t come all the way out, so the epoxy just kind of goes around the handle. It happens to both cheapo & the most expensive brushes.

Thanks,

Andy Frost
                            Madison, NH

Hi Andy

I have never fixed brushes cuz I hadnt had any mess up yet.

I would suggest how ever you go to a hobby shop that caters to model airplane building.

There is a glue called “Cyano” comes in THIN ,MEDIUM and THICK.. I would suggest you get the Thin and Medium cyano then just wick it in between the ferrul and wood. This stuf is similar to crazy glue but a tad thicker. It dries hard as rock and impervious to oil water or anything else.

We use Castor oil and Nitro Methanol for fuel and that doesnt touch Cyano and thats what the model planes are mostly built with. Epoxy is too heavy.

Anyway give that a try. I am pretty sure it will wick right down inside and not hangon the edge. Epoxy is too thick. You thin the Epoxy tho with just ordinary alchohol. Works fine. Try that first actually Thin it down.

Johnnie

Spread Kindness Like Confetti !!

Helen Zapata

Two words…

Duct Tape. :D :D :D

Helen

dorith

had the same problem with my brand new kolinsky brushes – i solved the problem by letting them dry all the way and then putting a bead of superglue all the way around the edge of the ferrule.

graffiti

I tried various ideas that didn’t work and finally decided to epoxy them. The ferrels were loose enough so with a bit of effort I could actually pull them completely off. I roughly sanded the bond surfaces of the handle and ferrel, applied JB weld (5 min epoxy) to both parts, assembled the two pieces back together, wiped off excess epoxy, let cure overnight.

Worked well enough that I forgot there was anything wrong with those brushes.

FriendCarol

In a forum about using discovering/using cool stuff, I found this tip: push acrylic paint inside the ferule and let it dry! Seemed like a smart idea to me, since someone gave me some to play with when I was at university, and I once let some dry on the paintbox palette… they turn into hard, utterly immovable lumps of plastic (who woulda thought?!).

[FONT=Times New Roman]Audacity allows you to be at ease with your inadequacy, safe in the knowledge that while things may not be perfect, they are at least under way.
                                            Robert Genn[/I]

TaosPainter

***this may not (or might be part of) the cause of your problem, but there is a common misperception that brushes should be dried ‘hair’ end down…water cannot ‘wick’ properly this way and tends to keep the brush too wet for too long. When the brush is dried standing on its end, capillary action (tiny spaces between hundreds/thousands of bristles or hairs) will help the brush dry quickly. Of course you would want to soak up most water right after you wash a brush with paper towels or whatever before standing on end.

I have had good luck gluing the few brushes I’ve had with loose ferrules – any good epoxy or other thick glue should work – I’ve even used Carpenter’s Wood Glue.

-TaosPainter

A great day at work is a lot worse than a bad day painting in New Mexico...

tonalpainter

When the ferrules are put on by the manufacturer they are crimped in place so, you can try to duplicate the process by putting a dimple on four sides of the ferrule using a small hammer and a blunted center punch or even a small rat-tail file to create the dimple. The harder you tap – the deeper the dimple. This has worked for me lately and you won’t have to buy glue every time a ferrule comes loose.

bjs0704

I haven’t had this problem for a while, but a few years ago I found a “glue” at my hardware store intended for replacing loose chairlegs. It would cause the wood to swell so the legs wouldn’t get wobbly again. It also happened to be waterproof. It had a similar appearance and consistancy to white glue, so it was perfect for coating the ferrule. I used it on every loose watercolor brush I had.

Then, I learned proper preventative care.

And I haven’t had a problem since….;)

Barb Solomon :cat:

Mjulnir

Hello folks, I’m a newbie to this forum as well as to artistry, so what I’m about to say is as a “newbie”. I received four sets of professional grade synthetic brushes made by Creative Mark as a Christmas gift, that my ladyfriend purchased from Jerry’s Artarama online. I just checked them out today, to find that most of the brand new never used brushes have extremely loose heads/ferrules, and I’m wondering if this is a norm for new artist brushes, or if these brushes are just faulty/very poorly made? All I know from prior water coloring experience when I was a kiddo, is that the cheapo brushes back then had tight ferrules with no wobble. Are professional artist brush heads supposed to wobble loose when new, or should I try to figure out a way to send them back to Jerry’s Artarama for a replacement or refund? Best regards to all!!! Gerald Benson aka Olaf

Harold Roth

Mjulnir, return them. They’re defective. I’ve been painting for many years and never received brushes with a loose ferrule.

Re the OP’s loose ferrules, I do think the extreme dryness of the cold north has something to do with it. But I also wonder about hanging them to dry brush end down. I dry my brushes by standing them in a container brush end up. I paint in watercolor, acrylic, oil, and casein. In years of painting, I’ve had one brush get a loose ferrule, a brush I used a LOT in acrylics as a kind of scrubber, but even so I think there was something defective about how the ferrule was stuck on.

For water media, instead of squeezing the water out of my brush, I swing the brush down hard and the water flies out on the floor. Rounds get pointed nicely that way. Then just put them in the container.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.