WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Think Tank > Creativity
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2004, 04:11 AM
SF Bay Area, California

Hails from United States
Cuppa Creativity, a daily get together 4/15

The secret of success is constancy to purpose.

- Benjamin, Earl of Beaconsfield Disraeli

This seemed fitting for those of us who are trying to create new habits.

There is never a better measure of what a person is than what he does when he's absolutely free to choose.
- Wiliam Bulger

This particualr quote is of personal significance to me. I've never really considered myself an artist, just a hobbyist. But a friend, recently reframed my way of thinking by proposing that being an artist isn't necessarily defined by exhibitions, an impressive CV and such (although I does help!), but rather by the individual's desire to create and express his/herself.

I'm off to bed (it's offically Thursday morning) but I'll check in with everyone early tomorrow evening to see how things are going. I'm hoping for sunshine as I plan to do a few quick gesture drawings of people in the courtyard tomorrow. I work in the hub of the city so think it'll be a great chance to get some quick gesture sketches done.

Faith
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2004, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member
Manhattan, NY, USA

Hails from United States
Re: Cuppa Creativity, a daily get together 4/15

Quote:
being an artist isn't necessarily defined by exhibitions, an impressive CV and such (although I does help!), but rather by the individual's desire to create and express his/herself.

Now there is a friend. And perceptive one too. Ok, rule number two for baby-steppers: We are artists all. Believe in yourself.

Faith, gestural drawings--another great plan. Very freeing. I hated them when we did them in our watercolor class (each pose was 2 minutes, and then one minute) but after several weeks I looked forward to them. It is how we warmed up, like how a runner stretches.

It is a little brighter here in NYC today but no sunshine yet. I think I heard in my sleep that the temperature might be 89 degrees (f) on monday. Imagine that!

Oy. Now I have to find something light weight to wear.

auntchristine.com

Please JOIN US in this month's BABY STEPS JULY 2004
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2004, 11:10 AM
Duncan, Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Good morning all,

Christine: I just read your post; I am an artist and I believe in myself. I'm keeping warming thoughts for you for a sunny day. I'm in Oklahoma and we've had chilly mornings, but our days have been sunny. I just wish the wind would stop blowing. I moved to Oklahoma from Ft. Worth and with all this wind, you would think I had moved to Chicago!

Faith: I like your friend's way of thinking about what defines an artist. You're lucky to have such a friend. I need to follow your example and do some gesture drawings, but I've always had problems doing them. I just need to practice, practice, practice!

A happy day to all,

Susan
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2004, 11:11 AM
A Local Legend
Grand Haven, MI U.S.A.

Hails from United States

Good morning Faith and Christine... glad to see you. I'm up, have my coffee and a fresh pot sitting on the table. Love the quote Faith and your friends words. Glad to hear it's brighter there Christine. It's another sunny day here and I saw my first forsythia of the season late yesterday. I got quite abit done in my studio yesterday so I'm inspired to keep at it. I may even get to a painting I started some time back but have been afraid to go back to for fear it wouldn't be any good.... that negative junk really does hold us back.
Helen
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2004, 11:25 AM
Great White North

Hails from Canada

Yes Faith, we are all Artists. Though it did take me a while to admit it to myself.

My brother in law is a funny fellow. At a family Easter gathering he turned to
a freind of his and said, "Did you know Mag is painting again?" This guy
looked scared like he was going to run away...I'm sure he had no idea
that I had ever painted or what to say about it. Last night my hubby brought a friend over from work. (Think Bob and Doug MacKenzie with a lot of eh!'s
thrown in.) It was funny to hear the two of them critiquing my work!

I wanted to share something funny that happened yesterday while setting
up in the kitchen. This is a daily routine of bringing up whatever canvas I am working on, dragging up my paints, etc. Being a recyling sort, I decided to see which paints on my pallette were ok to be reused. Walking up the stairs from the basement, I tripped and the palette went splat against the wall.
I now have a very oily bunch of stains.... on the wall.

Took a lovely walk this morn and am off to see what I can accomplish.

Mag
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2004, 11:30 AM
A Local Legend
Grand Haven, MI U.S.A.

Hails from United States

Morning Mag,
Can the stains become a mural?
Helen
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2004, 02:22 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Good morning, everyone!

A bit late joining you this morning (10am Pacific time USA), as I felt it was oh-so necessary (hahaha!) to write a novella about artistic mid-life crisis in the Creativity "Crossroads" forum first. I will provide the link, but, I'm warning you... you better pour yourself a fresh cup of coffee first... hahaha! http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...18#post2226318

Oh, good story, Mag! I laughed out loud! Like Helen, my first thought was "mural!" Making lemonade out of lemons, so to speak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragan
There is never a better measure of what a person is than what he does when he's absolutely free to choose.
- Wiliam Bulger

Faith... thank you for the quote... a really good one! I like it because it brings up the idea of freedom to choose. As artists, we sometimes forget we do have a choice about what we do. It seems so easy for us to think we do not have choice... like, when we want to sell, but get disheartened at the economy, or that what styles/subjects/junk is popular is not our style or subject, or at how much competition there is. We do have a freedom of choice... to create the way we want, to market where and how we want, to follow the ways of others or not.

Raining here, but I have Florida sunshine in my heart (explained in that link). I am spending the day straightening my studio, so the people interested in buying my house can actually walk through it during the "walk through." Hahaha... gosh, I find everything funny this morning. Thank you, all, for your "company" this morning... hope your day is creative and happy. I will leave you with some art/creativity quotes that started off me off laughing early this morning:

"In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder, bloodshed--they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love, five hundred years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce ...? The cuckoo clock."
--Orson Welles

"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
--Pablo Picasso

"If my husband would ever meet a woman on the street who looked like the women in his paintings, he would fall over in a dead faint."
--Mrs. Pablo Picasso

Nance
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2004, 05:42 PM
Turtle Island

Hails from United States

Great quotes! I'll offer one which I like a lot:

"Every morning we must love what is lost in us and begin again" -- Beth Ferris

Today I found my energy level increased as a result of having cleaned out my studio. The presence of clean, undisturbed desk space somehow cries out for going on a creative frenzy. I owe someone some logos and so the sudden absence of clutter really frees me up to do some drawing.

wild
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2004, 05:52 PM
A Local Legend
Grand Haven, MI U.S.A.

Hails from United States

Welcome wild... glad you joined us. I know what you mean about a clean desk. I'm in the process of cleaning, sorting and reorganizing my studio and I can feel the energy returning as I go.

Nanc... I read your novella and it inspired me to do the same. It's something I've thought about doing but somehow never got around to. Knowing that I journal, a friend gave me two for Christmas a couple of years ago... they already have little sketches in them (they're Hallmark) and they are not something I normally use but she gave them to me so they have been sitting on my bookshelf -- empty. I decided that I could use one of those to write my perfect life in... starting today.
Helen
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2004, 06:25 PM
A WC! Legend
Bucks County, PA

Hails from United States

Quote:
- Wiliam Bulger

Great quote today Faith, very powerful. I'm going to ponder it some more. I love this daily thread...I just got in for the day, lots of 'report to moderator' unrest in the glass forums I need to read and settle, then I'm coming back here to bask in the challenges of our creativity and artistic growth you all communicate so well!

hehe, sorry about your wall Mag!

Val
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2004, 02:40 AM
SF Bay Area, California

Hails from United States

Quote:
I may even get to a painting I started some time back but have been afraid to go back to for fear it wouldn't be any good.... that negative junk really does hold us back.

I couldn't have said it better myself Helen. I don't know if anyone is familiar with Barbara Sher, she's written a series of books and gives talks on creating the life you want. Well in one of her books, she suggests starting with a practice goal instead of the thing you really want. Using that same idea, I decided to start sketching in pencil and using blind contour and gesture drawings because I'm not emotionally invested in them as an artist. Funny how that one thing allowed me to give myself permission to be a beginner, to produce mistakes and still take pride and joy in the process.

Nance I also read your novella and found it very inspiring. In fact, I find the process you're going through right now to live your dream inspiring. Congratulations! I still have several years until my daughter is out of the house, but until then, I think I'll start a journal

How are those logos coming along Wild?

Faith