WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2019, 01:20 PM
New Mexico

Hails from United States
Oil painters, do you ever dabble in watercolor?

I have a hankering to try some watercolor.
All I own is oil painting brushes.
Can I simply use those brushes, or must I restock my studio with dedicated watercolor brushes and what else?
I canít see how the watercolor would hurt my brushes - but...
Thanks for info about it.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2019, 03:46 PM

Re: Oil painters, do you ever dabble in watercolor?

Watercolor brushes are much softer (mine, but I have only three). If you have relatively soft oil painting brushes, you can use them. Large flats are good for areas like background. But why? - buy just one dedicated, like large round. It will be enough to play.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2019, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member

Watercolor brushes are very different, and I would not consider them interchangeable with oils. Itís not the shape, but the softness, sizes and shapes. You might consider buying a watercolor ďkitĒ that includes basic colors, brushes, palette, etc. That should save you some money and would probably include brushes in the most useful shapes and sizes.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2019, 04:26 PM
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Thanks.
Iíll buy a kit.
Thatís how I started in oils - then bought better supplies.
No great expense.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2019, 04:53 PM
Lord of the Arts

I have been painting with watercolors longer - 46 years vs 42 with oils. I used to really enjoy watercolors but over the last 7 years or so I am finding them more frustrating than oils and much more difficult to achieve the look I want.

I have some sables, mongoose and synthetic watercolor brushes that I use interchangeably with my oils and have never noticed any problems of any kind doing that as long as I clean them with Masters brush cleaner when going from oils to watercolors. No need to do that when going from watercolors to oils. These are not really expensive brushes, $10-25. If I was a hard core watercolorist using $75+ Kolinsky Sable brushes I probably wouldn't use them with oils.

My favorite watercolor brushes that I use with oils are larger flats in mongoose or sable, and Loew-Cornell 7020 Ultra Round synthetics with needle sharp points on them. I like the #8 Ultra Round better than a rigger / liner with oils. It is easier to control and holds more paint yet allows me to do extremely fine lines if I want to. The thicker belly of the Ultra Round keeps the tip from flopping all over the place like a rigger / liner does, plus I can shape it to a finer point on my palette. I also prefer the shorter handles on the watercolor rounds for precise work.

Last edited by contumacious : 08-15-2019 at 04:55 PM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2019, 05:54 PM
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Sounds great but Iím stuck at hobby lobby and Michaels. I donít see sable or mongoose in these chain stores. May have to go on line for them.
Meanwhile Iíll see what they have when I go out soon.
John Singer Sargent painted in watercolor as a respite from his oils.
And anything JSS could do, uh, ok, yeah, never mind.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2019, 08:46 AM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States

The only type of brush I would avoid using with watercolors are the natural hog bristle type because they are porous and can swell up when they soak in water.
Still I have used them briefly to lightly scrub out a passage, while dabbing with a dry cloth, to remove watercolor paint from paper.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2019, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member

For "trying it out," I would go to a large department store (Walmart, etc.) and buy a pack of cheap brushes and one of those little watercolor kits in a metal container. A pack of 5 or 6 brushes shouldn't cost more that $5, and same for the watercolors. You can always spend a small fortune on equipment later if you decide you really like it.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budigart
For "trying it out," I would go to a large department store (Walmart, etc.) and buy a pack of cheap brushes and one of those little watercolor kits in a metal container. A pack of 5 or 6 brushes shouldn't cost more that $5, and same for the watercolors. You can always spend a small fortune on equipment later if you decide you really like it.

No-no-no. Although I normally start with such setups, that was what I did with watercolors and oils. Cheap watercolors did not work at all. Winsor and Newton's small Cotman set cost a tiny bit more but the difference was huge.

Same was for oils. Maybe I would not achieve much with three primary colors of a good brand that I would vote for now, the but cheap Reeves set I bought first sucked (although their crimson is a wonderful color).
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2019, 02:56 PM
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Well - I did not go for the most expensive or the cheapest.
This did all come to more than $80 though, even with my 40% off one item coupon. Once I figure it out I'll get the really good stuff.
But I can't wet to finish the huge oil painting I'm almost done with so I can have some real fun! Can't wait to get my feet wet! (maybe that's not the best cliche when dealing with watercolor?)
Attached Images

Last edited by MarcF : 08-16-2019 at 03:14 PM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2019, 03:15 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from England

I often mix painting watercolours in between painting oils. I use the same soft brushes for both, it works for me. I am a bit fanatical about cleaning them so they're in pretty good condition.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2019, 04:21 PM
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianuk
I often mix painting watercolours in between painting oils. I use the same soft brushes for both, it works for me. I am a bit fanatical about cleaning them so they're in pretty good condition.
I decided to get watercolor brushes and keep them separate, so there is no cross-contamination with my oils. (I'm equally fanatical about them). I have a pretty well equipped studio at this point!

Last edited by MarcF : 08-16-2019 at 04:58 PM.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2019, 05:29 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from England

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcF
I decided to get watercolor brushes and keep them separate, so there is no cross-contamination with my oils. (I'm equally fanatical about them). I have a pretty well equipped studio at this point!

Enjoy the watercolours.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2019, 08:53 PM
New York City

Hails from United States

Please ask watercolor questions in the watercolor forum.
Closing thread.