Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    steve.sens

(Posted in the watercolor learning zone, and remembered this part of the forum)

I came up with an interesting recipe for greens after being dissatisfied with my go to: some blue + some yellow and a skooch of some red = some sort of green.

I mix Dioxazine Purple PV23 with Phthaolo Green Blue shade PG7 until they create a deep blue. It’s a unique blue with a learning toward the cool side. I then mix in Nickel Azo Yellow PY150 to warm it up to a green. To create a shadow mix, I add more Purple, giving the shadows a cool cast. Sort of a cancel the green with the red component of purple and add more yellow to re-green the mix. :/

I think trios of color give a lot of latitude in creating color harmonies because one can introduce another color, for instance Cad Red Light, to this “blue” and it will relate to the green, mentioned earlier, by picking up the base color of blue.

Just mixing fun!

I think you just hit the nail on the head explaining color mixing. Much like recipes, everyone has a different ‘pinch of this’ ‘dash of that’ whole lotta this’ kinda of ingredients… it’s what makes an artist an artist be it food or paint. 😁

Patrick1

PV23 + PG7 is my favorite, go-to recipe for a very deep, medium-chroma mixed blue. Undiluted, it’s color is somewhere between Indigo and Prussian Blue, or Indanthrone Blue if there is proportionately more purple. With white it becomes a blueish-grey. I imagine adding Nickel Azo would make really deep greens. Nice to see others using this mix. :thumbsup:

WFMartin

As a color theorist, from over 40 years of working as a color separator for the lithographic process, I enjoy learning of the various methods that others have created for obtaining the colors they seek.

It goes to show that once you understand the behavior of Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow, the primary colors of pigment, almost anything can be accomplished regarding the creating of colors for paintings.

I find it interesting, and quite useful to hear how others are achieving the colors that they want by combining various tubed paints. When one realizes that there are really only three “colors” being contributed by each tube of paint, only in different proportions (and transparency, of course), it all begins to make perfect sense.:) :)

Sounds as though you have invented a very useful method of creating a type of Green that is not only useful, but one that can be modified “on the fly” so to speak for accommodating any number of occasions that you may require while creating an oil painting. :thumbsup:

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.