Home Forums The Learning Center Color Theory and Mixing Acrylic + glazing medium

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Removed

bongo

I use golden paints almost exclusively, but for glazing or extending drying time – I use Utrecht Acrylic Medium Retarder Gel. I also use it as a couch for painting wet in wet. Never did any formal testing, but I haven’t noticed ANY difference in sheen or transparency. One nice thing the gel is completely transparent in the jar – not white or milky like some other mediums.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/18-Sep-2019/1999899-sigsmall.jpg
            STUDIOBONGO

Ellis Ammons

After experimenting with alot of acrylic mediums Ive not found any that I really like. They cause a big color shift that can be unpredictable and make the surface of the painting hard and slick so blending wet into dry is much more difficult. It also reduces the pigment load so the overall look of the painting is not of high a quality.

On peices that require alot of blending i just spray with water. Which actally is a solvent so it gets me closer to the pigment. And that makes it hard to tell whether I use oil or acrylics. Just looks like oils cut with turp. However i try not to use water at all either as it causes a color shift.

Acrylics arent about working one perfect layer of paint. Its about layers.

Check out my work in the acrylics Hall of Fame Camellia WIP
                oil and acrylic paintings..

Gigalot

but I do need to apply a glaze using a medium that is clear and not glossy. Any suggestions?:(

I havve use oil paint over acrylic and it is my finest glaze medium.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.