Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil Help in Drawing Fabrics

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Does anyone know where I can find help in depicting fabrics in coloured pencils? My backgrounds leave a lot to be desired and I need help in drawing curtains and cushions.

Penny
    I live in Wiltshire, England
    “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” -Will Rogers

ocmd123

I just checked our CP Library, but surprisingly, there are no threads focusing on fabric. Perhaps some of the portrait threads may touch on that. I’d say google searching is your best bet. :)

ELAINE~ Moderator-Colored Pencil Forum ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to the forum? Visit the Welcome Thread ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to CP? Check out the CP Libray Index for information about about pencils, paper, sharpeners.[FONT=Times New Roman]
        Instagram

Save

Thank you for looking, Elaine. I will search elsewhere.

Penny
        “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” -Will Rogers

KJSieloff

I tried too, Penny. I couldn’t find anything on here either…but I thought of this – look at artists that do still lifes – a lot of them have fabrics in their pieces, and many do step by step guides. You can find several step-by -step projects on Ann Kullberg’s website. Also one that comes to mind that is a phenomenal artist is Janie Gildow. You might not be interested in doing the whole project, but you might find something you can use. Good luck!!

Kathy Sieloff
            My Website

That’ a good idea, Kathy. Thank you. I will look at still life’s. Thanks for the names of the artists.

Penny

I found these, which are going to be helpful.

https://www.mybluprint.com/article/drawing-folded-or-draped-fabric-is-an-art-heres-how-to-crush-it-in-a-few-easy-steps

http://www.artyfactory.com/portraits/color-pencil-portraits/color-pencil-techniques-clothes.html

Penny

Pingpongfan

I have five books by different cp artists and in each only two to three pages describe how to do fabric. So, not very informative but, if you read all of them they do give ideas. If you go to the library you may find some cp books to browse through. The sites you have found also give ideas. I think you wanted to do the fabric in the background of your last doggie portrait. I may be wrong, but it was a very nice fabric and may be worth starting your practice piece with that.
                Vena

Yes, Vena. It would be good to improve drawing fabrics for backgrounds. That’s a good idea. I will try the one in the photo of Nico.

I hadn’t thought of the Library. I was there today for novels and will look next time. Thank you.

Penny

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.