WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > Oil Painting - Hall of Fame
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2019, 02:57 AM
Lord of the Arts

Re: Oil-from-life challenge, August 2019: optional "water" theme!

Geoff, good start on the glass and water.
Yes, that blue is phthalo, and I do like it better than the ultramarine. I expect I'll use it for sky color now. That, and titanium white. I think I used thalo red rose, too.

Ilya, your flowers are beautiful!
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2019, 12:02 PM

Ntl, thank you!

I had less luck with phtalo blues. The very first one from Reeves was fine, and then I got Georgian WMO and the color is nothing natural. They sell it as primary blue. I preferred covalt hue. But mixing with red works well. Now with conventional oils I really like ultramarine.

On Friday I took few first tomatoes from my garden and tried to do a quick sketch. Did not wirk, partially because I am not used to paint with artificial light ( although those were daylight bulbs).

Today, I picked two fresh cucumbers and added two tomatoes. I like it better now. It is about the same size as roses, but ut is on paper and I used WMOs.

By the way, it belongs to the month's theme! Cucumbers arr what, 90% water?

#18   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2019, 01:17 PM

And my reward...

#19   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2019, 01:52 PM
Lord of the Arts

Ilya, I'm on my way! I'll bring cream cheese and berries for dessert!
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2019, 12:40 AM
Enthusiast

Ilya, those flowers are gorgeous, and your watery cucumbers and tomatoes made me hungry. Always a good sign when a painting makes you hungry.

August daily painting #5: I fussed a bit more with my glass, trying to improve the drawing, edges, and light. I'm not sure I made things better, but at least I'm getting practice drawing foreshortened objects. "Glass of water," oil on panel, 6" x 6."

#21   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2019, 03:29 PM

Thank you folks.

Geoff, I like to see the developing painting. That is what is in my plans for the months after summer - learn the light. I made many photos with interesting lighting, back or side, and really liked that. It is now time to learn how to paint similarly.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-06-2019, 12:35 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks, Ilya. Your photography background sounds like it will be an asset. (I wish I had more experience with serious photography!) I do tend to paint better when I think about light and shadow, not just the thing in front of me. Today's effort (see below) is a case in point: I focused mostly on the thing, not on the lighting scheme. I get better results if I paint light.

August daily painting #6: I love painting peaches, but Iíve always had trouble with them: they arenít shiny, so theyíre harder to model than, say, apples or grapes. True to form, I struggled with these peaches today. (I like the water glass in the background better! I sneaked it in to honor this month's optional "water" theme, lol.) I may paint more peaches tomorrow, just for the practice. "Peaches and a glass of water," oil on panel, 6" x 6."

#23   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-06-2019, 06:13 AM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States

Great painting guys! I have been on vacation at the beach in Wildwood NJ and then working on house stuff, so will get back to painting soon, meanwhile I am checking on my favorite thread often, nice work.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-07-2019, 03:29 AM
Enthusiast

Sid, good to hear from you! Hope you enjoyed your vacation!

August daily painting #7: One peach got eaten and the other went bad, so no more peaches. So instead I painted some Síwell water bottles. (Water has been a theme this month: several glasses of water, and now some water bottles.) I didnít finish this, but itís a decent start. Not sure whether Iíll continue it or start something new tomorrow. "Water bottles (in progress)," oil on linen, 5" x 7."

#25   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2019, 12:29 AM
Enthusiast

Daily painting #100, and August daily painting #8: To mark my 100th straight day of daily painting, I thought Iíd show you where I do a lot of my work ó my little studio, in my basement. When I paint a still life, I often use my easel light, a spotlight on the subject ó and no other lights. So the space is a bit dark, especially in the evening. I tried to convey that here. I was going for a sort of medieval atelier ambiance.

Iím going to take a break from daily painting now, as I have some longer-term art projects and commissions. But I'll still be painting and posting here frequently, and of course replying to your posts.

Anyway, "My studio," oil on panel, 6" x 6." As always, C&C welcome.

#26   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2019, 01:37 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from European Union

Congratulations for the 100 dailies!!
This last one is wonderful finish for this project. Also nice to know where you paint the still lifes.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2019, 07:30 PM
Lord of the Arts

congratulations on 100 dailies! That's quite an accomplishment, something to be very proud of.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2019, 08:54 PM
Lord of the Arts

A plein air from me, finally!
Approx size, 6x8" oil on gessoed paperboard.
Started as a cloud study, added mts and wind blown tree at the end. Had trouble getting the cloud shadow color, never really got it. The paint was not cooperating today, therefore the lumpy clouds.
Water is the theme, and water started falling from the sky just as I was finishing.
comments and crits welcome!

#29   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2019, 03:49 PM

Geoff, congratulations! And I agree with others, the last one, showing your studio is a great way to finish the challenge!

ntl, clouds may be not as you wish, but there is a nice feeling of wind in the palms!
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2019, 11:16 PM
Lord of the Arts

Thanks, Ilya,
I wonder if those lumps in the clouds were indicating hail!
The wind had come up and was blowing those fronds around, then the rain started.

I think part of the cloud problem was the surface was slippery, so blending was a problem. I should have cleaned it off and started again. Another part was distractions--I had to keep my eye on a water pump to be sure it didn't run dry.