Home Forums Explore Subjects Florals and Botanical JULY Plant Parade

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    Shanec

Welcome to the July challenge! :)

This month we plunge to the forest floor and the macro world of deadly and poisonous delights – fungi.

I will post ten images, the first 8 of which are my own, the last two are from “unsplash”,feel free to use these or any others of your choice.

Any size, any medium, any style, anything goes.

Please don’t post until the 25th of the month as per the rules and guidelines of this forum.

Many of you will know that fungi are my thing, particularly translating the background to an abstract format, as an added challenge you could consider doing this.

Above all have fun!

Shane

https://artbyshanec.com

Shanec

Shane

Shane – Great images and a good subject for our Plant Parade! Thanks for Hosting this July Challenge.

Moderator: Animal & Wildlife, Floral & Botanical, Watermedia

Zeldaquatic

Wow, great pictures collection of this fascinating world of fungi, I’ve learned not long ago that what we see when we look at a mushroom, is only a tiny part of the creature who lives as a network under the soil: the mycellium !

Merriweather

Wow, great pictures collection of this fascinating world of fungi, I’ve learned not long ago that what we see when we look at a mushroom, is only a tiny part of the creature who lives as a network under the soil: the mycellium !

Hi Zelda, OK you made me look it up.

Mycelium is the vegetative part of a fungus or fungus-like bacterial colony, consisting of a mass of branching, thread-like hyphae. The mass of hyphae is sometimes called shiro, especially within the fairy ring fungi. Fungal colonies composed of mycelium are found in and on soil and many other substrates. A typical single spore germinates into a homokaryotic mycelium, which cannot reproduce sexually; when two compatible homokaryotic mycelia join and form a dikaryotic mycelium, that mycelium may form fruiting bodies such as mushrooms. A mycelium may be minute, forming a colony that is too small to see, or it may be extensive, as in Armillaria ostoyae…”:wave:

Really beautiful images Shane.

Painting is a complete distraction. I know of nothing which, without exhausting the body, more entirely absorbs the mind. Winston Churchill

These are neat!

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

Thanks Shane – for an intriguing visit to the forest floor and your ‘natural habitat’!!!:lol:
                    Brilliant images – and Merri, thanks for adding to our knowledge; I’ve read that before too but it’s always good to revise and try to make it stick!:lol:

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

Green Ink

Oh nice theme, I love fungi!

"An artist must have the freedom to create"
                        Edward Weston

My Facebook Art Page

Shanec

Thanks all, look forward to your drawings/ paintings.

I bought a new watercolour pad on the weekend, quite a heavy tooth which I’ve never used before, works really well and I’ve completed one already. :)

Shane

Green Ink

I have a few fungi that I’ve photographed over the years, I might sketch from one of those if that’s ok…

"An artist must have the freedom to create"
                                Edward Weston

My Facebook Art Page

Shanec

Hey green ink, you’re more than welcome to use your own image. 😀

Shane

Irlynda

Wonderful crisp photos! You can almost see the woodland guardians poised behind the fungus among us. I’m looking forward to portraying these as best I can. Thank you for providing this months inspiration.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]irlSmith Art

Shanec

Thanks Irlyanda, your idea sounds really cool, look forward to your artwork. :)

Shane

Shanec

The 25th is fast approaching, how is everyone doing with their artwork?

Shane

Finished and waiting for the 25th!

Christel

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 76 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.