WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2019, 09:18 PM

Who are some of the best youtubers to search?

Hello all,

In my efforts to research and learn oil painting techniques etc, I am quickly figuring out that some you tube videos quite frankly suck and some are interesting. Searching here I have not found a specific thread on peoples favourite artists and teachers who they enjoy watching for both learning and simply pure interest. If there is such a thread and I am missing it, could someone direct me there, or if not I would love for you all to post up your favourites and those who you feel do a good job of guiding beginners like myself (when I say beginner, I mean no previous history of painting or drawing what-so-ever). I am quickly getting obsessed and am craving useful instruction!

Thanks!

Bob

Last edited by bobbybirds : 03-04-2019 at 09:24 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2019, 10:52 PM

Re: Who are some of the best youtubers to search?

Any particular subject?

ks

Kevin Slaby
2002 Mustang - 902hp
http://baselinesuspensions.com/Projects/balrog.htm
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2019, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN$
Any particular subject?

ks
Being so new I am a bit of a sponge wanting to really absorb almost anything, but that said I think my main priorities right now are simply techniques. I would like to learn all sorts of styles so as to experiment and see what direction I find myself taken but for now I would like to focus more on plein air/impressionistic techniques. I still would love to see anything outside of this as well. I just really would like to see how accomplished people work and try and glean some tips and lessons from them.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2019, 11:51 PM
A WC! Legend
Glendale, Arizona

Hails from United States

Andrew Tischler

Kevin Hill

Mark Carder

Duffy Sheridan
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2019, 06:51 AM
Enthusiast

if you need a break sometime, the MoMa series on classics is interesting (how to paint like xxxx). they don't just lecture, they actually paint imitating the particular style in question, while reasoning about expressions, thoughts, development in modern art. they refer to further, basic lessons of which i watched one. it was a bit slow going but with a different, academic approach to teaching. It felt like a refreshing break, too.

Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist. - Picasso
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2019, 08:06 AM

For figurative paintings CESAR SANTOS. His YT vids and DVD's are informative but more than that his YT vids are funny.

Another for figurative paintings VLADIMIR VOLEGOV.

Bob Ross - landscapes for beginners.

ks

Kevin Slaby
2002 Mustang - 902hp
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2019, 08:22 AM
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Iím in pretty much the same boat as the OP.
Iíve learned a lot from YouTube.
Not only about oil painting, but many diverse subjects.
YouTube is the greatest teaching and learning instrument ever created. Imagine learning to paint, ski, play the guitar or cook from a book. We did it that way for centuries but this is the 21st!
When you are a newbie or a ďspongeĒ as you put it, the best way to approach a new subject on YouTube is to watch all of them. Yes, some are better than others. One guy has a half hour video on cleaning brushes. Kind of drags along. Another may be filled with marginal or even incorrect information. Identifying them is a learning process as much as finding the essential ones. Ultimately you are your own teacher, and you always have been. Take your time. Explore and decide for yourself which lessons are best for you. It costs nothing (well, not actually nothing but thatís a whole different discussion) to click and move on. The videos I like, Iíve watched several- or many times. The videos that start to grate on me, or those that seem too detailed for what I need at the moment, I just click. And learned. You canít avoid it. Fine to ask others for their faves - meanwhile, check them all out. Better to separate the trash from the treasure than to toss out the treasure with the trash.

Last edited by MarcF : 03-05-2019 at 08:25 AM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2019, 08:43 AM

Awesome start! I am going to start downloading them at work today to watch tonight. Where I live we only have weak, very sparse internet so steaming is virtually impossible so I have to choose which video's to download for future viewing. Living super rural in the forest has a few challenges, but I wouldn't trade it for anything!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2019, 08:45 AM
Enthusiast

Too much information is bad. Books are slower but make you more patient. I would do what Cesar Santos does and go visit some Art Museums. Take a notepad and study up close the technique of the Masters. You will learn more than any video seeing things in real life. Plus its fun and good for the Art Spirit too.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffless
Too much information is bad. Books are slower but make you more patient. I would do what Cesar Santos does and go visit some Art Museums. Take a notepad and study up close the technique of the Masters. You will learn more than any video seeing things in real life. Plus its fun and good for the Art Spirit too.
Oh we definitely hit our fair share of museums and art galleries in our travels! It is really what planted (or extracted depending on how you think) the desire in me to create art. I do get what you are saying though. I think the same thing in many regards. I do not want to watch videos as a primary form of learning, but more just to get an idea of flow and techniques to try and research further. I like to hear people talk and explain while they do sometimes.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2019, 09:46 AM
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Everyone has their own methods.
As I said, you are ultimately your own teacher.
Having spotty internet would make my method (of watching everything) difficult if not impossible.
Iíd like to address ďToo much information is badĒ.
Might be true for a child. If they are up to arithmetic, giving them a calculus lesson would be too much and inappropriate information.
But I assume weíre adults.
As such, we are our own mediator.
Itís like saying too much knowledge is bad.
I want to know EVERYTHING, and then Iíll decide what information is irrelevant (at the current time). This is better to me than asking a stranger what I should focus on. Do you possess information youíd rather not? Not me. I canít imagine what Iíd do if I could exchange information gained with the time it took to acquire it. If you could suddenly and completely forget any information, since it was ďtoo muchĒ, what would you gain for it instead?
Another thing, looking closely at a masterís work is a pleasure and an enlightening experience. Itís another method of gaining information, but in my view not at all the best way, especially for a beginner. Directed exercises and instruction goes a long way.
Hey, Iím an expert skier, and maybe youíve never skied, or youíre a novice. Iíve gone from intermediate to expert by watching YouTube videos and a lot of practice. Just watching the instruction (and practice) did more for me in 2 seasons than watching the experts ski all my life. Thatís because they make it look so easy. Same with any other skill. Masters arenít often the best teachers. They do what they do mysteriously and effortlessly.
Just my take. My oh-pin-yun. Everyone looks at things in their own way.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcF
Everyone has their own methods.
As I said, you are ultimately your own teacher.
Having spotty internet would make my method (of watching everything) difficult if not impossible.
Iíd like to address ďToo much information is badĒ.
Might be true for a child. If they are up to arithmetic, giving them a calculus lesson would be too much and inappropriate information.
But I assume weíre adults.
As such, we are our own mediator.
Itís like saying too much knowledge is bad.
I want to know EVERYTHING, and then Iíll decide what information is irrelevant (at the current time). This is better to me than asking a stranger what I should focus on. Do you possess information youíd rather not? Not me. I canít imagine what Iíd do if I could exchange information gained with the time it took to acquire it. If you could suddenly and completely forget any information, since it was ďtoo muchĒ, what would you gain for it instead?
Another thing, looking closely at a masterís work is a pleasure and an enlightening experience. Itís another method of gaining information, but in my view not at all the best way, especially for a beginner. Directed exercises and instruction goes a long way.
Hey, Iím an expert skier, and maybe youíve never skied, or youíre a novice. Iíve gone from intermediate to expert by watching YouTube videos and a lot of practice. Just watching the instruction (and practice) did more for me in 2 seasons than watching the experts ski all my life. Thatís because they make it look so easy. Same with any other skill. Masters arenít often the best teachers. They do what they do mysteriously and effortlessly.
Just my take. My oh-pin-yun. Everyone looks at things in their own way.

I agree with you 100%. I can't learn process or techniques looking at a painting, I need vids b/c I garner much more info from good videos even without commentary.
I would have never guessed in a million years that the paintings that CESAR or VLADIMIR do were done in multiple stages/layers until I saw their vids. I'm still not sure why it's done this way but their results speak for themselves.

With my agreement comes knowledge that not everyone learns the same way. Probably a right-brian vs left-brain vs hair-brain way of thinking about the world.

ks

Kevin Slaby
2002 Mustang - 902hp
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2019, 12:28 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Oregon

Hails from United States

I like to search the plein air artists too, just scroll down the results list and explore ones that look interesting to you..
Igor Sakharov speaks Russian , but very interesting to watch him paint a scene..
https://www.google.com/search?ei=LbF...iz.7eVGkhotvCI

also...
Andrew Tischler
Kyle Buchanan/The artful souls
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP5...WDoDZEw/videos
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2019, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member
Port Harcourt

Hails from Nigeria

A J Alper is great for loose brushwork portraits alla prima (painted in one go). He also has 2 .5 hour live classes at 9 pm EDT Tuesdays where you can ask questions as he paints.

Vladimir Volegov and Andrew Tischler are awesome youtube tutors as said by others before me.

www.ozioma-zart.blogspot.com
Instagram www.instagram.com/oziomazart
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2019, 10:30 AM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Bobby: there are lots of good youtubes out there.
Have you thought of going to a workshop, or local night school class?
Also, perhaps a college non-matriculated painting One course.
There is nothing like a good instructor to show you the real ropes.