Home Forums The Learning Center Color Theory and Mixing how get naples yellow mixture ??

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    the black sad

Hi folks
        i need help

i want to make this color in oil because i cant find it in my country
        the color is
        indigo
        naples yellow light
        naples yellow deep
        olive green

what mixture can make this colors
        i search in the internet for the receipt
        but i cant find the answer
        please if you can help me in this case. :(
        best regards

Sadiq

Hi Sadiq, as mentioned in the starting tips thread when asking a question of this type it’s a good idea to tell us your palette. So if you have any similar mixing questions in future please list which paints you have available.

None of the paint names you mention would be just a single colour so please note that any suggestions will only be approximate and may not match what you’re looking for. Starting with Indigo, this is a very blackish blue and something of the right sort can be mixed fairly easily; if you have Prussian Blue that mixed with any black would work. Alternatively, French Ultramarine plus some Burnt Umber or Phthalo Blue plus Venetian Red are other options.

Naples Yellow paints vary a great deal, from dull orange-yellow to a light yellow in colour; some indication of the variety is shown by the picture in this thread. The duller orange type is probably best made starting with Yellow Ochre or a similar yellow earth with a little red or red earth, possibly with a little added white; the yellower types from a mix of white and yellow or white and Yellow Ochre, with a dot of black for some versions. Sometimes Naples Yellow Light paints are just the Naples Yellow from the same range with some white added.

Olive Green is a very vague colour concept so any of these might give you the right sort of colour: Yellow Ochre + black; Yellow Ochre + Prussian Blue; Cadmium Yellow + Black; Cadmium Yellow + French Ultramarine.

Something to bear in mind is that each paint in your palette is not an end in itself, what matters really is the colours you mix from them. So none of these colours should be thought of as essential or necessary.

Einion

Do you know if your colour is off in hue, value, chroma... or all three?

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk

the black sad

OK
            and:)
            thank you very much
            Einion that was helpful

Bees-in-Art

You could try purchasing from abroad via internet – but I’ve found shipping and customs expensive when doing that.

Gigalot

I have a tube 40 ml Shanghai Siic Maries Naples Yellow (hue) written on the tube : PR108, PY35, PW6.
                    I guess, we can find it everywhere in every country as it is `Made in China` product. :) It has a bit waxy consistency and not highly pigmented but good enough to use. Ok for me.

JPQ

Talens paints use: PW4/PY154/PBr24
                        and Schmincke uses different combinations of pigments depending which oil paint series is use: one use PBr 24 for deep shade
                        another one use PW 6,PW 4,PO 20,PY 53 for red shade,and light shade PY53,PBr 24.(this range dark shade uses same what first deep shade uses) and last series (cheapest)
                        PY53,PY42 for light shade
                        and PBr24 and Py42 for Deep shade.
                        to me maybe first schmincke series look best i dont see never
                        real thing at least i dont know it but somehow i feel thjs way based
                        words what some one used description of them i think.
                        saddly at least here paint with Pbr24 is not common.

ly

Hi
                            PBr24 + White
                            PBr24 + PY53 + white
                            For best results white = Lead white.
                            (I use the real Nap. Yellows from M.Harding or make my own paints from
                            pigments PY41)
                            ly

Gigalot

You must be very careful – Lead white and Genuine Naples yellow are ~100 times more toxic pigments in comparison with Cadmium Yellow or, even Genuine Vermilion.
                                It is better not to use at home, but studio only because your work closes, brushes , oil and thinners contacted with Lead or Naples became toxic.

ly

You must be very careful – Lead white and Genuine Naples yellow are ~100 times more toxic pigments in comparison with Cadmium Yellow or, even Genuine Vermilion.
                                    It is better not to use at home, but studio only because your work closes, brushes , oil and thinners contacted with Lead or Naples became toxic.

Hi
                                    I do.
                                    (mask & gloves etc)
                                    ly

While caution is entirely appropriate when using paints that containing lead and certain other heavy metals you can quite safely use them at home, if you follow good studio-safety practices.

Handling the dry pigment powders is a different kettle of fish entirely, and I agree that this should really only be undertaken in a dedicated studio environment where certain pigments are concerned.

Einion

Do you know if your colour is off in hue, value, chroma... or all three?

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk

sara121

Thanks for sharing this.

Hi
                                        PBr24 + White
                                        PBr24 + PY53 + white
                                        For best results white = Lead white.
                                        (I use the real Nap. Yellows from M.Harding or make my own paints from
                                        pigments PY41)
                                        ly

Yes, the PBr 24 is very good at approximating Naples Yellow. By itself it is very close to a Naples yellow deep. With a little white it is very close to Naples Yellow. The working properties are very close as well, and although other mixes may look similar in a pile, they can perform very differently.

A very nice paint to consider in the PBr 24 is the Blick Artist colors “Light Yellow Ocher” http://www.dickblick.com/items/01595-4833/#colorpigments

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.