Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Small or large brushes?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Carey Griffel

This is a question born of curiosity, as I think that it’s really just up to the individual artist and there’s certainly no right or wrong… I got to thinking (highly dangerous, I know)…I’ve heard so many artists suggest the use of large brushes, the larger the better, in order to not get bogged down with details (among other reasons, I’m sure). But I find that I hate large brushes. In order for my work to look like I want it, I constantly find myself using a) my number 4 filbert and b) my number two round (except for blocking things in, of course). I hardly *ever* use anything bigger than a half inch for anything at all.

So, what do y’all use?

~!Carey

P.S. And option four is for people like Larry S. :D

* Zaney Zebras (blog) * facebook art page * facebook floral design page * Recipe Blog *
        "...I wished to live deliberately...and not, when I came to die, discover that I have not lived." ---Henry David Thoreau

I start with large brushes, then work smaller and smaller.

Ignoring details is as bad (IMO) as obsessing over them.

K

Forcing the waveform to collapse for two decades...
        http://www.syntheticskystudios.com
        Hilliard Gallery, Kansas City, "Small Works", December 2019

artbabe21

Depending on the size canvas & what I am painting brush size changes of course, but I find myself more comfortable with smaller brushes & that’s exactly why I get too much detail! One of these days I’ll figure it out but may use a small brush to do less detail…LOL…I’m not sure why I don’t care for larger brushes, maybe I haven’t enough practive controlling them… :wink2:

A #8 filbert is about as large as I care for.

Cathleen~

[FONT=Times New Roman]~Be COURAGEOUS, It's one of the few places left still uncrowded~

[FONT=Times New Roman]~Life is not measured by it's length BUT by it's depth~

fiannah

I find myself using smaller brushes most of the time.

[FONT=Verdana]Joni
                -----------------------------------------------

My Blog l My Website l My Facebook Page l My Art on Artfire

Squib

I use large and small, depending on what I’m working on. I’d advise any newcomer to oils to use large though. I painted with one of the best Landscape Artists in Southern Africa for a few years. He used the largest round brush ever. It tapered to a fine point with which he managed to paint the most amazing detail. I was always amazed watching him. I’ve tried to do the same myself, but always end up reaching for a smaller brush. :)

~ Lorraine ~

Jaysen

My favourite brushes:

#3 Holbein filbert bristle
                        #6 Grumbacher 626b filbert
                        #8 davinci russian red sable
                        #3 and 5 Artbridge kolinsky sable rounds

I have a bunch of large bristle and hair brushes, but rarely use them. They tend to soak up too much paint and won’t let go of it.

My brush size is mainly in proportion to the size of the canvas among other things. I do find the smaller the brush the “tighter” my painting.
                        Judy

Judy
                        "Simplify-Look around-observe See in nature the source of art, of
                        craftsmanship of truth, of the beautiful"

gunzorro

That’s a huge open-ended question! It depends on the canvas size, painting style and detail needed.
                            Personally, the smallest brush I normally use is a 6R in hog bristle, going up to my most recent purchase: 20FB in hog bristle — that’s a big brush!
                            I am preparing to buy Gainsborough flats between #14-20. I have Brights in 14-18 and use them pretty often in undercoats.
                            I use #8-12 the most, in all brush styles (hog). Favorite, most versatile brush? Maybe a #8R. Jim

Miss Vicky

Greetings and Blessings All :D
                                I use both big and small. I like to experiment with the brush to see what type of stroke. I sometimes let the brush stroke dictate instead of drawing with the brush. Depending on the area, the subject, if there is detail, I vary my brushes. I try not to be confined to any one brush, even thou I have my favourites.
                                Blessings to all
                                and a special hello to Miss Cathleen (artbabe) :wave: “I’m back” I hope
                                Miss Vicky

www.yessy.com/MissVicky

artbabe21

Hello Vicky!! :wave: it’s certainly good to see you back at WC! :wink2:

Cathleen~

[FONT=Times New Roman]~Be COURAGEOUS, It's one of the few places left still uncrowded~

[FONT=Times New Roman]~Life is not measured by it's length BUT by it's depth~

I read a book by a student of Bouguereau. He said to use the largest brush that is small enough to do the job. A photo of Bouguereau showed him with a lot of brushes that looked like about 1/2″ wide and smaller.

I think the idea of using huge brushes, huge canvases, and loose painting is more of a modern art thing, and I utterly reject anything coming from them.

gunzorro

Well, my, my! And pshaw!
                                        Speaking as one of “them” I utterly reject whatever your are purporting.
                                        Duh.
                                        Onward with large canvases and bold brushwork.
                                        There is always tatting for those with faint hearts!
                                        Jim

dcorc

I read a book by a student of Bouguereau. He said to use the largest brush that is small enough to do the job. A photo of Bouguereau showed him with a lot of brushes that looked like about 1/2″ wide and smaller.

I think the idea of using huge brushes, huge canvases, and loose painting is more of a modern art thing, and I utterly reject anything coming from them.

You need to visit more art galleries, see more pre-20thC paintings in real life, and look at the brushwork!

Dave

gunzorro

Thanks Dave! As I recall, many Old Masters were quite bold and loose in their approach. Quite exciting to see that change from the flat iconic styles that preceded them. Jim

piper2

Aw, come on people, it’s not the size, it’s how you use it!

I personally only have one brush, since I’m still working out of my cheesy oil gift set that I got for Christmas, which came with one brush. It’s about 1/3″, stained, a little crispy, and on death’s doorstep. I’m thinking of replacing it with something exactly like it. I, like my neurotic Jack Russell, am very reluctant to try something new.

Maggie
                                                  Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 62 total)
                                                  • The topic ‘Small or large brushes?’ is closed to new replies.