Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Johndk

I am doing a series of works with flowers as a theme. Each piece is 25 x 25 cm in watercolour. Each will have two different glass containers or items. In addition to the flowers, I am trying to find a way to do glass semi abstractly in watercolour, and I must say it easier said than done.

The first piece was of poinsettia (and I have posted this already). This second one is roses.

For roses, I wanted to do something that wasn’t obvious. So, I used a Lalique glass piece which is called “Ophelia”. The Lalique glass has both clear elements and that lovely milky cast appearance for Ophelia (shown as two women – her tragic torturous torn life, etc…). The glass has an opalescence which I find very beautiful.

Ophelia then suggested an interesting theme for the roses, which in themselves are pregnant with symbolism, and some of the nasty poisonous plants as part of Ophelia’s suicide mentioned in Hamlet. I don’t want to go on too long…but you can explore further…

” Ophelia ”
        Watercolour
        Limiter palette 3 colours
        25 x 25 cm

Comments, review, suggestions, welcomed.

As long as there is light, I will paint it.

Shanec

Very much in the same style as the poinsettia John and another beautiful work.

Shane

https://artbyshanec.com

A fantastic still life. I could look at it forever.

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

Johndk

Thanks Shane. Yes, this is the second in a series: Poinsettia, roses…and I am now planning one with Proteas and Scandanavian glass..lol.

Thanks for your kind encouragement and support Kay – means a lot to me.

John, I find your style of painting interesting and your painting is beautiful.

LIL

Beautiful – a very interesting composition John and lovely balance of colour.
                I could happily live with this!:)

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

Johndk

Many thanks for your kind comments Lil.

Thanks for your encouragement Maureen. This is done using (predominantly) a limited palette of three colours (Gamboge, Pyrelene Red and Cobalt Blue) with a tiny bit of neutral tint and white goauche.

Merriweather

Very beautiful Johndk.. this one and I saw the poinsietta too… both beautiful.

I am impressed by your choice of vases too, gosh Lalique… wow. That is unique.

Painting is a complete distraction. I know of nothing which, without exhausting the body, more entirely absorbs the mind. Winston Churchill

Jon

I am enjoying the subtle geometric lines here.
                            My only concern is the top of the glass does not read to me as two women, but that could just be me.
                            Nice work.

Triduana

Very good. The roses are beautifully painted. I like how you’ve left the composition lines in the painting, it is very interesting. I love your palette too.

Kay D - Edinburgh, Scotland

So long, and thanks ...

Johndk

Thanks for the kind comments:
                                    Merriweather
                                    Jon
                                    Kay M

much appreciated.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.