Home Forums The Learning Center Composition and Design composiition scape study … s

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    La_

pick pick pick

underpaintings for the purpose of composition scape studies
        [#2 is tiny, signed, knifed, and yet, don’t let that stop ya, it’s very able to be altered]

t’wer they yours, what would you add or remove to improve the overall compositions shapes – pick one or two and/or three, comps are complicated, apparently …

thanks, have fun ;)

la

3,1, then 2 in my order of preference, though 3 is outstanding. An autumn forest around a small lake. It could be developed more, but personally, I would just frame it as is. YMMV

#1 has good dark shapes, and good passages of light, but I don’t have any suggestion in which direction to take it though I do see possibilities for a landscape.

#2 I don’t like and after visiting this thread 3 times, I can’t find any redeeming features. If it were mine, I would gesso over it and start again. Sorry to be so harsh, but that’s my opinion.

It is only on a basis of knowledge that we can become free to compose naturally. -- Bernard Dunstan
        blog.jlk.net

DaveCrow

1,3,2 would be my order.

I love the dark moodiness of 1. It calls to mind both the local Adirondack lakes and their islands and also the islands of coastal Maine.

3. Calls to mind an autumn forest as Claude says.

2. Is an uneasy sort of halfway between representational and abstract. It is a landscape, but not compositionally sound to my eye. Also the color balance seems off. I think it could be saved by reworking it and pushing either the abstraction of the representationalism harder. I like the bottom third and the play of yellow against the blue-grey in the middle. The orange red patch at center right adds a nice touch of drama against the darks. Overall I think it is the middle third that is the weakest and need most reworking. The top third reads as a bit of a cliched sky, but with just a little adjustment would serve.

I hope some of this is helpful. I recently started playing with abstracts and it is harder than I thought I would be to get good results.

"Let the paint be paint" --John Marin

La_

thanks for the votes and thoughts, guys!

I’ve found that i haven’t got the patience for reality anymore, but in doing a more abstract scape, composition is still a really important key to helping me actually like the endpoint … that being said, with abstract, sometimes the endpoint gets there too quickly, given the chaos of creating quickly – #3, so quick, like 30 minutes, max.

la

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.