Home Forums Explore Media Mixed Media, Encaustics, Collage and Alternative Materials Difference between mixed media and Collage etc?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Morton

I’m confused about where the difference is between a mixed media work and a collage. Is there any etc.

I’d like to hear your views about the difference/s between collage and mixed media and any etc …and if you illustrate with an image of what you create too there’s a slice of luxurious virtual chocolate cake for you.

Morton

Cyndi L

Mixed media simply means more than one medium being used in a piece, so it can be painting and magazine images, assembled junk, ink and watercolor, etc etc etc. Collage is a specific art term, meaning a piece formed primarily by images that adhered down to a substrate to form a new image. It can also contain different paint or drawing media, but the term refers mostly to the adhered images. Collages are usually considered a type of mixed media, but not all mixed media are collages (like squares and rectangles…).

Morton

Like apples and stairs. :) Thank you for taking the time to elucidate.
                I was confused after I had looked up Collage on wikipedia and Tate glossary. I thought collage was as you have described it.

Guide

There is also assemblage which is more akin to 3 dimensional collage.

Click here to go to the information kiosk My You Tube Channel 48hlc48
                    The only person you can't fool, is yourself! (Oz The Great and Powerful)
                    "If you think you can, or think you can't, your right!"
                    "The thing about art is that life is in no danger of being meaningless," Robert Genn

lisaastrup

Mixed media simply means more than one medium being used in a piece, so it can be painting and magazine images, assembled junk, ink and watercolor, etc etc etc. Collage is a specific art term, meaning a piece formed primarily by images that adhered down to a substrate to form a new image. It can also contain different paint or drawing media, but the term refers mostly to the adhered images. Collages are usually considered a type of mixed media, but not all mixed media are collages (like squares and rectangles…).

Joined your blog about mixed media :)

Lisa Astrup

http://www.bricksite.com/astrupart
                        c & c welcome anytime

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.