Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics acrylic on ceramic tiles?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Kevin…

What is the best procedure for painting on ceramic tile with acrylics? Should gesso be applied or does that matter? And should a protective coating be used afterwards? The tile in question has a matte finish.
        Thanks!

JStoltz

Check this out, it might be of some interest: http://rusticwallart.com/paintingontile.aspx

Jeff

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."

RamblinAround on YouTube
            RamblinAroundTV on Facebook

Kevin…

Thanks Jeff, that’s very helpful

Dee74

No prep other than clean dry tile.Wipe with alcohol to remove any grease, careful handling while painting as well. Paint, let dry and spray with a clear coat sealer.

Kevin…

Thanks Dee, I’ll try that too. I’m doing a few test tiles and I have a can of that sealant that sprays on to seal charcoal and pastel drawings….I’m not sure if it’s the right type or not. Other than that, I coated a few tiles with a water-based acrylic sealer and it’s the kind that has to be applied with a brush….but it went on smooth fo the most part. I’ve been recruited by my wife to do these for the kitchen which is being renovated and I don’t have much experience with acrylics…let alone floral designs. Wish me luck…lots of luck. Hopefully I can walk by those tiles when all is done and know I did it right. Did I mention this has to be done asap? The contractor is waiting. It will be easier to get them done while they’re laying flat on a table rather than on a vertical wall under cabinets.

Kevin…

Luckily I’ve got a couple of extensions on the deadline for these tiles…but here’s some of what’s done now.

Foxyheart2002

Make sure they are placed in a spot where they will not have to be cleaned. Since the tiles are not porous, they will make a bad surface for adherance.
                                These are gorgeous, though. I can see why she wanted you to paint them.

[FONT="Arial"][FONT="Arial Black"]Sue Kroll, Signature Member ISSA, associate member WAOW and AWA........ Sue's Art .....Musings of a Scratchboard Newbie
                                I always welcome C & C. Even if I have finished it and applied fixative, I can always apply your thoughts to the next one.[/font]

ladypainter

These are beautifully done. For a long time I was painting what was called roofing tiles. They dont have the shiny surface and are the color and texture of a clay flower pot. After painting I would varnish but cant seem to get them anymore.I will have to try this method. I sold a lot of them.:)

Elinor:wave:
                                    "keep your own time tickin"

Kevin…

Make sure they are placed in a spot where they will not have to be cleaned. Since the tiles are not porous, they will make a bad surface for adherance.
                                        These are gorgeous, though. I can see why she wanted you to paint them.

Thanks Foxyheart.
                                        The paint really wasn’t staying on good even after I coated the tiles with an acrylic urethane. My wife had Home Depot mix a small batch of wall priming paint that matched the color of the tiles and that made a much better surface for the acrylic to stick to. She sprayed them with a fixative when they were done and then a coat of clear varnish or lacquer. Hopefully they won’t need much more than a light wipe down with a damp sponge once in awhile, but they seemed to be sealed pretty good.

Kevin…

These are beautifully done. For a long time I was painting what was called roofing tiles. They dont have the shiny surface and are the color and texture of a clay flower pot. After painting I would varnish but cant seem to get them anymore.I will have to try this method. I sold a lot of them.:)

Thansks Lady Painter.
                                            So those were decorative tiles when they were done? I’m always open to new ideas…thanks for sharing that. I did see some upside down clay post somewhere that were painted with acrylics. Almost like big wind chimes if I recall. The pots had ropes through the holes in the bottoms with knots on the ends.
                                            I also met a woman at an arts and crafts fair once who was selling mailboxes with florals painted on them. She said she did quite well with that.

ladypainter

Thansks Lady Painter.
                                                So those were decorative tiles when they were done? I’m always open to new ideas…thanks for sharing that. I did see some upside down clay post somewhere that were painted with acrylics. Almost like big wind chimes if I recall. The pots had ropes through the holes in the bottoms with knots on the ends.
                                                I also met a woman at an arts and crafts fair once who was selling mailboxes with florals painted on them. She said she did quite well with that.

Hi the tiles themselves were not meant to be decorative. They were called roofing tiles. The terracotta color of a clay flower pot and felt the same. The paint went on really nice They were not shiny tiles. I would paint mostly flowers on them then varnish them.I would then put them in a little stand and would sell them .Original painting for a not to high price.They would help me out a lot with costs in a show etc. as they sold well.

I cant seem to get them anymore but maybe you could try in any hardware type store. Home Depot ,Lowes.If I can find a pick of one I will post it:)

Elinor:wave:
                                                "keep your own time tickin"

I used to paint on terracotta pots, slate roof tiles, pebbles and even ceramic tiles with acrylic paints I then varnished them with polyeurathane varnish which sealed them pretty well. The ceramic tiles did eventually peel or ub somewhat but they lasted for several years.The other items were fine

part time artist
                                                guineverec

Are these waterproof after they’re sealed with varnish, or are these only meant for non-watery places? Just curious. I’ve been wanting to paint some tiles for our kitchen/bathroom one of these days but thought you had to use special enamels and fire them to make them waterproof? Which I just have NO clue how to do, at this point.

Kevin…

Are these waterproof after they’re sealed with varnish, or are these only meant for non-watery places? Just curious. I’ve been wanting to paint some tiles for our kitchen/bathroom one of these days but thought you had to use special enamels and fire them to make them waterproof? Which I just have NO clue how to do, at this point.

Here’s how these tiles were done. I’m not sure if it’s right or wrong or if anything is right or wrong as long as it works. From left to right is what was applied. The acrylic painting was done after the base was applied and then the other three followed.
                                                        These tiles will be between the counter and the cupboards above and a few will be directly behind the sink, so they will have to be at least wiped down now and then I’m sure. That last item to be applied should keep it all protected and waterproof…hopefully.
                                                        I saw some nice tiles the other day like you’re talking about. They had been painted and fired. It was a whole series of tiles one after the other wrapping around the inside of a small room to be viewed as a panoramic landscape. Red clay dirt roads and hills and birch trees and fir trees and daffodils and all kinds of other trees and plants. Each picture in each tile continued on into the next tile. In another room was the alphabet…a through z in colorful letters…each on its own tile.

guineverec

Thanks, that’s helpful. I’m a HUGE fan of majolica ceramics. We were recently retiling our bathroom and the area around our drying rack in the kitchen and I really wanted to try and paint a few of the tiles in a sort of majolica style, but wasn’t sure how to make it work. I might have to try this technique of yours sometime! I’m going to be tiling the whole flat now! ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                                          • The topic ‘acrylic on ceramic tiles?’ is closed to new replies.