Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics Liquitex pouring medium experiences?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 117 total)
  • Author
    a. ladd

I finally got around to playing with this stuff, and immediately ordered a 32 oz. bottle.

Finally, Liquitex chemists seemed to have one-uped Golden! :smug: For once, we have a brilliant, water-clear, self-leveling medium that doesn’t bubble or craze. Currently, Golden only seems to offer a choice between slightly cloudy or slightly textured gels and mediums to achieve any of this.

Used alone, it’s finish matches the clarity of those toxic, 2-part acrylic resin coatings. But it’s also quite flexible, without the surface stickiness of so many other mediums and varnish/isolation coats out there.

I don’t mind the hi-gloss that some here dislike. I don’t find it as “plastic-y” as the typical “plasti-sheen” of many unaltered acrylic paint brands. It actually gives it a more enamel/resin type finish that is trendy now, FWIW.

I’m amazed how the intensity or opacity holds out from even a small amount of color added to the medium. It really extends color well. I even tried a few drops of vinyl-based Cel Vinyl paint in it and let it flow down a test sheet. The opacity held throughout – though the paints natural matte finish toned down the medium’s normal gloss.

I also tried some paintskins on glass. Again, I was pleasantly surprised. The few drops of Golden fluids really held their own in dilution, and the skin was smooth, enamel perfection. It dried faster than other mediums. And unlike some other’s experience reported here, I had no problem at all removing it perfectly intact. I just used a little warm water, followed with gentle palette-knife peeling. It didn’t stretch, stick or deform nearly as much as other paint/medium combinations I’ve tried paint-skinning before.

I think I already see how this stuff is already being used in some of experimental painting I’ve surfed upon in gallery sites. It could start whole new art trends, just as the original acrylics did with the stained Color-Field movement.

Sad But True: Teenyboppers overheard at a bookstore Art Section, "Look at that book, just like the toothpaste...REMBRANDT!"
        ----------------

[FONT=Arial]

Jeff Rage

Must.
            Try.
            This.

It's Rage - the rules are different!
            短い人 Artwork by Jeff

idcrisis55

I don’t have any experience with the pouring medium, just a bit with fluid acrylics. I do, however, appreciate reading about your experiences with the Liquitex medium. It sounds like a good one to use and I’m putting it on my want list. :D

This sounds good. Are you going to show us any of your experiments?

Carol
                "Mercifully free of the ravages of intelligence" - Time Bandits[/color]
                Moderator: Acrylic Forum
                My websites: Discoveries With Colour Adventures in Photography[/B]

Nilesh

Thanks for sharing this. :) If you can get some pictures up, would enjoy seeing.

*Violet*

would using this be an appropriate way to finish of a game board surface painted with watercolours?

[FONT=&quot]“The way to discover (creative) secrets is to be a student of your own efforts.” (Robert Genn)”[FONT=&quot]
                        Please feel free to view my artistic efforts at http://akaviolet.weebly.com

a. ladd

You’d probably still want to first seal the watercolors with some non-water spray varnish or coating. Any water content in a thick, acrylic finishing layer might make the colors run. You also have the aesthetic question about wanting to alter a WC’s appearance with a deep, glossy varnish that will make the darks much darker. This would be most noticable in a realistic WC rendering with proper shadows and value relations to begin with.

Sad But True: Teenyboppers overheard at a bookstore Art Section, "Look at that book, just like the toothpaste...REMBRANDT!"
                            ----------------

[FONT=Arial]

a. ladd

My experiments, so far, are mostly over other earlier mixs and paint-clutters – I’d need a game-play chart to point them out! ;)

----------------

[FONT=Arial]

Brian Firth

I love the Liquitex Pouring medium too! Here are few bad photos of some acrylic marbling I did a few months ago on gessoed masonite panels. Also, a photo of some little puddles just to show another effect of the medium.

Also, I have attached an image of a 5×5 gallery wrap canvas that I used the pouring medium on as a kind of silver “Mortar” between the tiles.

I am continuing to experiment with the pouring medium and still love it. It works best with Golden Fluid acrylics and Liquitex Soft Body, but you can also use heavy body acrylics if you thin them with water first.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."
                                    -- Carl Sagan

Brian Firth

Jeff Rage

Thanks for posting those, Brian!

It's Rage - the rules are different!
                                        短い人 Artwork by Jeff

greymist

I think your third example looks amazing, Brian. It looks a lot like the regular marbling technique was used, but I guess you poured? Could you explain your technique for this one a little more? It is very nice.

Lisa

howyadoin

Glad I found this thread. I bought a bottle of the pouring medium to try it out, and find it infinitely better than Golden’s self-levelling gel (which, as has been pointed out, is quite prone to crazing. In thick applications you could almost use it as a crackle medium.)

I’ve done a couple of test pours on glass, and yes, it dries to an absolutely smooth, flat surface. I’ve also tried it over a couple of rougher surfaces, and while the result wasn’t perfectly flat, it was still pretty smooth, clear and glossy.

howyadoin?

[/LEFT]
                                                [/RIGHT]

Thanks for posting about this, I’m sure a lot of people will love to play around with this stuff! Great to hear the surface isn’t tacky when dry.

And thanks for the pics Brian, those puddles in the second pic are something I’ve wanted to do occasionally off and on for years and the effect looks exactly like what I’d be aiming for.

Einion

Do you know if your colour is off in hue, value, chroma... or all three?

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk

con4

Thanks for all this great advice! I would like to try it as a clear, hard glaze for work on canvas. I have a new piece which is 30 x 30 and wonder if I should make walls with tape all around and just pour a layer of the pouring medium or should I just pour it on and let it pour over the edges? Any suggestions?

I am scared but excited at the same time! I think this is a great way to finish a contemporary painting, very slick and professional. :clap:

Thanks in advance!

Con

howyadoin

Thanks for all this great advice! I would like to try it as a clear, hard glaze for work on canvas. I have a new piece which is 30 x 30 and wonder if I should make walls with tape all around and just pour a layer of the pouring medium or should I just pour it on and let it pour over the edges? Any suggestions?

I’d say that depends on what sort of effect you’re after. If you want the sides to have an even coat, pouring it over the edges won’t do the trick – the medium will probably pool near the bottom of the side (if that makes sense), or possibly run off the sides altogether.

On the other hand, if you don’t mind dribbles of it on the sides of the canvas, you oughta be able to pour it pretty close to the edge of the main surface without any worries. I usually drizzle the stuff on and then spread it with a large palette knife.

I’ve used the medium on 5 paintings so far, and I literally haven’t seen a single problem. In one particular case I’ve been applying it to the sides of the painting as well, but I do those parts separately by propping the painting up on its edge. In this photo you can see where I tested the medium on one edge:

It’s great for applying over a roughly-textured surface; you still keep all the rough bits, but they look like they’re under water.

One other thing to point out: if you’re pouring a second (or third) layer, the layer underneath will turn milky for awhile. Not to worry; it’ll eventually turn clear again. Depending on the thickness, this can take up to several days.

howyadoin?

[/LEFT]
                                                        [/RIGHT]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 117 total)
                                                      • The topic ‘Liquitex pouring medium experiences?’ is closed to new replies.